Plumbing Question about Water Flow

I'm looking for some help understanding the way the plumbing works on my boat. I've been looking at some of the other threads regarding the head and how they operate and drain. I also understand that the head floor drain carries water into the sump under the step. Question is: When operating the galley sink does this water drain into the grey water holding tank or going overboard with a bilge? One of the things on my list is to flush out the fresh water tank but I don't want to fill my grey tank and then have a pump out. It should be empty anyway now. Same question applies to the head sink. If it is running where does it drain out?

I would expect that on your year of boat that the sink drains dump out through thru-hulls on the side of the boat. Newer boat have all the drains going to the sump pump. This is done so that if needed the water in the sump can be directed to the waste holding tank. Some lakes in the country require that nothing is dumped overboard. I have all drains going to sump, but it then pumps overboard. It also reduces the number of thru-hulls on a boat.

Get Parts List for your boat that might available elsewhere on this site. It provides some very crude schematics for plumbing and identifies all thruhulls on a boat. That's only a staring point to investigate further ... your boat might be rigged any number of ways depending on who and when (Friday's rush to get out, Monday's hangover) was working on your boat.

Erikzola,

Since we have similar boats. The galley sink drains overboard, you should be able to follow the drain line right to your thru hull. The drain in the show does go to a sump pump and when the box gets to a certain level the pump kicks in and drains overboard. The cockpit sink also drains overboard.

Get Parts List for your boat that might available elsewhere on this site. It provides some very crude schematics for plumbing and identifies all thruhulls on a boat. That's only a staring point to investigate further ... your boat might be rigged any number of ways depending on who and when (Friday's rush to get out, Monday's hangover) was working on your boat.

The parts list don't go back past 2003.

on my last 2 boats - all cabin cockpit drains went directly overboard, the sinks also go directly overboard including the head sink. the floor drain in the shower is routed to mid ship sump pump and then pumped overboard, i assume on your 240 sig you do not have a grey water system? by a bottle of the green pine scented stuff you put in the head to keep it smelling better, you will see green in the bilge or out the side - it is environmentally safe and for my boat the mid bilge removes all water but a sponge full and if not treated or removed will sour after a few weeks

Hey Delaney, Yes we do have a grey water tank but almost never have much in it..... I'll try the green tip too!

You have a fresh, grey, and black holding tank? That's a lot for a small cruiser.

I know we have different years, but I only have a fresh and black holding tank. The head is the only thing that goes to the black holding tank.

You have a grey warter sytem. All your grey water and waste all go into your waste tank! All grey water is routed through your sump plumb located under your step! Waste routed through your waste tank. The only water overboard if you have one, is your hot cold shower located near swim platform.

• 7 years later...