chantillycpl

Gulf ICW Speed / Wake Restrictions

7 posts in this topic

We are planning a trip along Florida's Gulf Coast in a few weeks and would like to stay inside on the way North... wondering what sort of speed / wake restrictions are in place between Tampa Bay and Clearwater.

Thanks in advance any assistance!

Min wake at bridges & narrows by Maderia Beach ICW, other than that your boat can do what ever you want it to do, just keep everyone inside the railings for the coasties to be happy. Watch the locals as low tides can get pretty shallow.

Thanks Mike & Karen:

So, what is your best guesstimate on how long it would take to make the inside run from the center of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge to Clearwater Beach Marina? It appears to be about 30 miles?

I grew up in that area. curious question, why would you stay inside? Outside passage is much quicker. Between no wake zones and low water hazards, my guess would be three hours inside and 1.5 outside.

The gulf is normally calm unless confronted with weather issues which frequently come up in the mid to late afternoons throughout the summer. The run that you have considering has several places to duck in if necessary to avoid weather. I would prefer to be outside.

I grew up in that area. curious question, why would you stay inside? Outside passage is much quicker. Between no wake zones and low water hazards, my guess would be three hours inside and 1.5 outside.

The gulf is normally calm unless confronted with weather issues which frequently come up in the mid to late afternoons throughout the summer. The run that you have considering has several places to duck in if necessary to avoid weather. I would prefer to be outside.

It's not always about how fast we get somewhere... there will always be a boat drink when we arrive... :oregonian_winesmiley: