For Dog Owners.. Our Faithful Companion....Jed

Sorry about your loss. It is always a tough thing to do but if it was time, then you did the best thing for you friend.

This stuff gets to me lately because in the last year I had to say goodbye to my husky and my lab/ shar pei mix.

It looks like he was loved and will be missed, just focus on all the good times and the love you all shared.

So sorry for your loss, I know it was a hard decision, as I am faced with the same with my buddy Ernie, a black lab mix. The best dog I have ever had is laying beside me as I type this. Your pup was one of the lucky ones to get a good family to love him.

I know exactly what you are going through. I had to put down my golden back in April of this year, she is the one shown as my profile picture. She was about a month shy of her 14th birthday, a sad day indeed!

Golden's are a great breed and they burrow deep into our hearts. I think about ours every day and I presume you will do the same.

Cherish the memories and the impact they have made in our lives.

Sorry for your loss. Thoughts are with you. They certainly bring joy to our lives don't they...

Our black lab mix is 2 yrs old and she has been struggling since the spring. She can't stand the heat and has difficulty moving but the vet says she is not in pain. Since we sold our camp in 2008, she doesn't see much water, the boat stresses her out and I'm worried she won't come back to shore if she gets in trouble...

My thoughts are with you. A wonderful place your pup is now, waiting for you but having fun in the meantime. Lots of other great dogs to play with up there as well, like my Buddy and Madison- 2 great dogs who left a few years back- they will share the steak dinners! Be comforted with the memories.

KF

Did the same thing last year. Our Golden "Comet" named after the pet in "Full House" grew up with our three boys. Also thirteen and a half. He was the only dog they ever knew. He went thru middle and high scool with two and all the way from elementary with our youngest. He was creamated and is on the mantel now. As for me i have only ever had three pets. For what ever reason my dogs live forever. My German Shepard I got in elementary school lived to 18. He was followed by a Norwiegen Elkhound when I got married that lived to NINETEEN.. Then Comet at 13. Makes it hard. Worst was we were at the beach house last summer when Comet died. My youngest, then 19 was home alone and came down in the morning and found him in the foyer.

So sorry to hear the sad news about your beloved Jed. We had a Golden that we had to put down a few years ago and it was one of the hardest days of my life. Still think of her often and shed a tear now and then. Goldens (and labs,we have both)are such a lovable breed and judging by the pictures, he was a beautiful boy and well loved. Take comfort in the wonderful memories you have and I agree with Buddydog44, he is running around up there with other pups, like our beloved Katie!

Sorry about your loss. Dogs really are the best. Maybe you have seen this before, if not take a moment to read:

RB_Poem_Gate.jpg

RainbowBridge.com

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

These threads make me sad. My neighbor is about to put down his 14 year old golden. All 4 of his kids have grown up with the dog. My condolesnces. Seems like it is not right - there are a quite a few homo sapiens out there that need to go first.

This one always gets me. I reread it every 6 months to stay emotionally grounded.

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish wolfhound named Belker. The dog’s owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn’t do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker’s family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker’s transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker’s death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, “I know why.”

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I’d never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, “People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life – like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?”

The six-year-old continued, “Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long.”

Sorry for your loss. We went through this in May when I had to put our long time pet down. He had developed cancer. We still miss him. lots! The loss of a pet is like the loss of a family member.

Sorry for your loss. I too am aware of how difficult it is to lose your best friend. My brother and I shared a black Lab. Nobody on this earth has ever penetrated my steel protective layer like my buddy Hardy. We were each others shadow. Where I went, he went and where he went, I went. He loved the water. Mostly the dirty water. He hated getting a shampoo!

The hardest part when we put him down was when he figured it out before anything was started. I don't ever want to sit through that again. It still crushes my heart.

I learned more about human behavior from Hardy than any human I know.

So sorry for your loss. I was there last year with my 14 year old lab, she was the best dog ever. Not a day goes by that i dont miss her, and I'm sure you will feel the same way. A year later we have gotten another and it has helped a lot.

God speed

Sorry to hear that.

Ben my Rott mix left us this past December. He passed away in my arms with my head laying on his. I was torn to pieces. I still miss him terribly. He was 16 years 7 months and 17 days old. He suffered a stroke and simply couldn't go anymore so I had to do what was best for him and was responsible of me. We had him cremated and he's now in an urn and in my rifle safe. I have given specific instructions to several family members that he is to buried with me in my coffin in the same hole. No exceptions. Miss ya Ben!!! My best friend.