hargerhouse

New Chaparral Owner - First Boat

My cockpit cover flies off above 45 MPH. Ask me how know.

brick.

Trying to figure out the picture thing. I created the photobucket account like I was directed to do so.

Copy the link from photobucket and then in the text of your post do a ctrl v to past the link in the post. Then it should show up once you post the message.

captain-morgan.jpg

I believe I will top up Newbie list ,lol

First time out and lounch without plug,lol

Second time out went all the way to ramp and of course forgot keys at home :slap::slap::slap:

My newbie advice is to be alone or with a buddy when exploring the features of the boat or learning things like anchoring. In other words leave the wife at the lakehouse, yacht club pool, or back home!

If you want a good mooring cover that is towable, search around for a Marine canvas (also usually upholstery) shop to make you one custom to your boat. It will fit tight and have multiple tie down points, as well as a drawstring/cinch strap below the rub rail. I use the mooring cover for any towing trip over 1 hr as well as on the lift to keep the spider poop out of the boat.

I even put the mooring cover on out on the houseboat when we had a HUGE thunderstorm on the way.

My original Sunbrella cover lasted 10yrs and I just replaced it 3 seasons ago with exact duplicate. I could not have asked for better performance.

I do recommend that you get "cleat pockets" so you can attach dock lines/ fenders with the cover on.

2011-04-01_14-52-21_594.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

DSC_0054_zps26eb8a7a.jpg

Ist time owners still have credibility - there's still hope. For people like me, who are getting their 7th boat ready - we're the warped ones! :-) We should have learned with Boat #1 - but it'll get under your skin and there's (usually) no turning back! Especially for newlyweds, be very careful!

Seriously - welcome aboard. I've been a newbie to the Chaparral family since buying my new-to-me 300 a few months ago. I have received a LOT of help and knowledge from this group. Great forum!

Ben

Check out Poppy Covers. I have a Seadoo 200 speedster and love that aftermarket cover. I've towed it between NY and FL several times with no problems. It is the ratchet strap variety mentioned perviously. All the Seadoo owners swear by them. They should be able to customize a cover for your boat.

Seems the issue Im having is the arch on the boat. Cant find a cover made for it. Just have to have one custom made everyone keeps telling me.

Bryan,

Pauls Custom Canvas is in the Denver area and they did my father-in-laws custom cover with Sunberella fabric. I got my cover from iboats.com. I got a Westland Exact Fit cover for my 2100SX made from Sharkskin fabric. I am very happy with this cover, cost about 400 bucks and I checked my boat several times through the winter and it was bone dry. It has a cord around the hem so it stays tight, and t has latching straps to wrap it around the trailer frame. It rides very tight.

I will use this cover to pull to Lake Powell, ~700 miles each way, and I expect it to do well.

Us Colorado boaters typically travel for good boating, I put in at Chatfield Reservoir several times a year, but that is because it is only 10 minutes from home. After being on a big Lake, I get spoiled and do not find Chatfield very satisfying... Although it is conveient.

Where do you store your boat? I keep mine outdoors now but I used to find a indoor storage in the winter. With a good cover and suspension system you can keep it outdoors all winter, but it is way better to store inside.

I tow with my towing cover on all the time. Trick is that its snapped all around the windshield and hull, and it has two poles which prop it up and keep it taught. I've towed the boat that way from Michigan to Sacramento to San Diego - no problems and I never had to worjy about the cover shredding.