New Chaparral Owner - First Boat

BXANDERS great advice. Wel yesterday we got a whole 1.5 hours in, not a thrilling time on the water trying to follow the whole 10 hour break in period. So the wife had her first lesson in back up a boat trailer with a boat on it and with a boat off of it. I had my first experience with launching a boat and loading one. NOT very pretty by any means BUT at least NO scratches or dings to the boat or truck...... phew.

Everybody is a newbie once. Sat in my office yesterday and saw my neighbor rolling up the street pulling his ride with the mooring cover installed. It's just a storage cover, not tow-able and she was a flapp'in in the breeze. I jumped up and ran to the front door, only to see him pulling into my driveway. Disaster averted, I thought. It was then that I saw the drive unit in the full down position, and in an instant it bottomed out on the crown of the road. I yelled, I waved, and he stopped, for an instant. He then continued up my driveway as he thought I was goofing with him. That's a normal occurrence when dealing with me.

I got him stopped again, and he then announced that he needed me to change out the clutch in his power winch. It was then I indicated that the repairs would be a bit more extensive. Can't say I ever traveled with the drive down, but I did wonder why my boat was not rolling off the trailer properly last week. OH Yea, you have to take off the tie down straps off the stern before launching. Seems like we all start off stupid, we gain both knowledge, and confidence, then we get old enough that we can't remember what we had for breakfast. Happy Boating Tip of the Day... Try not to use the skeg as a depth finder.

W

BXANDERS great advice. Wel yesterday we got a whole 1.5 hours in, not a thrilling time on the water trying to follow the whole 10 hour break in period. So the wife had her first lesson in back up a boat trailer with a boat on it and with a boat off of it. I had my first experience with launching a boat and loading one. NOT very pretty by any means BUT at least NO scratches or dings to the boat or truck...... phew.

And you're still married??11...Congratulations! Welcome and enjoy your new ride. Be safe.

Everybody is a newbie once. Sat in my office yesterday and saw my neighbor rolling up the street pulling his ride with the mooring cover installed. It's just a storage cover, not tow-able and she was a flapp'in in the breeze. I jumped up and ran to the front door, only to see him pulling into my driveway. Disaster averted, I thought. It was then that I saw the drive unit in the full down position, and in an instant it bottomed out on the crown of the road. I yelled, I waved, and he stopped, for an instant. He then continued up my driveway as he thought I was goofing with him. That's a normal occurrence when dealing with me.

I got him stopped again, and he then announced that he needed me to change out the clutch in his power winch. It was then I indicated that the repairs would be a bit more extensive. Can't say I ever traveled with the drive down, but I did wonder why my boat was not rolling off the trailer properly last week. OH Yea, you have to take off the tie down straps off the stern before launching. Seems like we all start off stupid, we gain both knowledge, and confidence, then we get old enough that we can't remember what we had for breakfast. Happy Boating Tip of the Day... Try not to use the skeg as a depth finder.

W

3 weeks ago I left the straps on, what a bonehead. hadn't done that since 3 boats ago! Saturday however I pulled off a launch, pulled out, and drove 80 miles home with no incidents, getting better after 30+ years!

3 weeks ago I left the straps on, what a bonehead. hadn't done that since 3 boats ago! Saturday however I pulled off a launch, pulled out, and drove 80 miles home with no incidents, getting better after 30+ years!

50 years for me. You are such a newbie.

W

So far two outings so far, hour meter says 5 so we are getting closer to the 10 hour break in period. So then we can have fun with it. Well launching and loading still NOT pretty BUT still no scratches or issues yet......

So far only scare was loading and the depth alarm went off, freaked me out while trying to ease onto the trailer straight. And LOW fuel LOUD alarm went off freaked me out until I could turn it off. According to Shep we have about 1/6 or less fuel at that point, had we known that perhaps we wouldnt have headed for the dock.

Questions, towing with covers. Its says to NOT use bow or cockpit covers while trailering. However one of my cushions almost flew out twice, so much so I just had to lay it in the bottom of the boat. So that is a hassle, what type of covers can be boat for trailering for protection?

We tried to set the perfect pass to see it work but were unsuccessful, will have to try again next time we are out.

Questions, towing with covers. Its says to NOT use bow or cockpit covers while trailering. However one of my cushions almost flew out twice, so much so I just had to lay it in the bottom of the boat. So that is a hassle, what type of covers can be boat for trailering for protection?

We tried to set the perfect pass to see it work but were unsuccessful, will have to try again next time we are out.

My prior bowrider had one bow cushion that was prone to loosening and potentially blowing out so I just took it out prior to towing and replaced it at the destination.

Wrt towing with covers, my research on this shows lots of opinion-based practices. It seems to me the breaking line is "tight canvas: tow away; loose canvas: no way". I just did a 500+ mile round trip from Huntsville, AL to Lake Norris, Tennessee with cockpit and bow canvas in place and tight. Average speed was 60mph, top highway speed was 65 with an occasional run at 70 -- I was more concerned with managing trailer sway than canvas. No problems up or back. I trailer 30 miles round trip twice a weekend all summer (55-65 mph) with canvas on.

I still have the original shipping cover for my boat so any trips longer than last week's I would probably use the shipping cover as long as it is in good shape but in that case I would prefer it for the rain protection more than anything.

Yes still married, well its only been 10 months so its still very new :)

Cool about the covers, I just figured they were good protection to have on while towing and would keep the cushions from flying out. BUT if they damage the boat or get torn that wouldnt be good. What about travel covers or mooring would those be good for LONG highway trips?

Yes still married, well its only been 10 months so its still very new :)

Cool about the covers, I just figured they were good protection to have on while towing and would keep the cushions from flying out. BUT if they damage the boat or get torn that wouldnt be good. What about travel covers or mooring would those be good for LONG highway trips?

Whatever you get, you need to make sure the cover is 1) durable and medium- to heavyweight, and 2) kept tight to the hull. Many aftermarket mooring covers are lightweight and relatively loose fitting -- good to keep the ducks and geese and their poo off your boat, the bugs out of the cockpit, and the morning dew off your upholstery but not suitable for travel. I fished my "mooring cover" out of the marina harbor a dozen times after little t-storms blew up. They often have mulitiple vertical straps from bow to stern to attach to the boat frame (see these online at Overton's or in big box stores like Bass Pro, Gander Mountain or Walmart) which is not necessarily a bad design on its own, but if the straps cannot stay pretty tight then you get airflow up under the cover and that is where the trouble starts.

My Chap shipping cover has one long horizontal strap encased in the slotted hem of the cover the entire circumference of the boat - like a drawstring in a pair of sweatpants. At the aft portion of the cover, there are two ratchets that tighten the straps inside the hemline of the cover and essentially seal the boat hull just below the gunnels. I towed my old Tahoe around with its similar shipping cover for the 5 years I owned it. I don't know if I have ever seen an aftermarket travel cover made like that but seems to me that is the ideal configuration. Others here probably have some better experience to share with the aftermarkets. Or I am sure there will be a recommendation to go to a canvas shop and have a custom made cover, which is probalby not a bad idea.

Great info to have, will continue to look for a good travel cover for the LONG hwy rides to various lakes. I asked for the shipping cover for my boat as well and the dealer provided that to me. I will have to look at it and see how it works and how well it holds up.

Great info to have, will continue to look for a good travel cover for the LONG hwy rides to various lakes. I asked for the shipping cover for my boat as well and the dealer provided that to me. I will have to look at it and see how it works and how well it holds up.

:beer-7687-1: