Trim tabs? Why?

Good point, I noticed the porpoising even when in calm water after switching to the Bravo 1 position on the drive... I wonder if that contributed. I didn't recalibrate the gauge.

Recalibate the gauge. Easy with Smart Craft gauges. The bushing change just gave you more available downward range. Where you put the drive during operation is still your choice. W

I may try the tabs next spring for curiosity. Which brand is the favorite.? What is cost all in? Tabs and controllers. I particularly like the guys posts about how much it helps when cruising at 60 knots / 70 MPH. Funny stuff!!

I may try the tabs next spring for curiosity. Which brand is the favorite.? What is cost all in? Tabs and controllers. I particularly like the guys posts about how much it helps when cruising at 60 knots / 70 MPH. Funny stuff!!

I did the Bennett 1212E's. I powder coated the tabs before installation, and flush mounted the euro-style rocker switch in the unused Chap dash knock-out in the upper right hand corner on the 256 SSX. Perfect place for the control, for me anyway.

I max out at 63 GPS after the tabs. The best I got before was 60, but I don't give the credit to the tabs. Big difference in fuel load and air quality between those two speed runs. I have never seen a tab installation cut top speed and I've done plenty of them. As you have a canted transom, you can't use the sport tabs with bent down side edges as they create side drag. The 1212E's have the edges turned up, and remember to, in the full up position the trailing edge of the tab is 3/8" above level.

Wingnut

Did you have to use a wedge behind the tab to deal with curve of the stern? Or was the curve not an issue?

No, the trick is to use the shortie cylinders that gets the tabs moved outboard as far as possible, where the contour is less pronounced. You are talking about a quarter inch across the entire mounting surface. There is ample play in the hinge point, and both the backing plate and face plate deflect enough to make up the difference. I bed them heavy in 3M 5200 also which makes up for any remaining surface deflection. As the transom is canted, be sure to use a tab with the outer side edges bent up like the 1212E's, and not bent down like the Sport Tabs, as those create lateral drag because they do not attack the water at right angles.

W

I mainly use it to control the listing of the boat while under way. Trim motors to optimum conditions for water conditions then use tabs for final adjustments. Unless I'm tubing, then I put them down all the way to get on plane at a slower speed.

I didn't lose any speed after installing my tabs. I did the same as Wingnut with the 1212E, powder coated black and the shorty actuators. I mounted mine in a little further from the edge but they still work the same. My max speed is 57.5 on the GPS with ideal conditions. I didn't need a wedge on mine either as once tightened down on the bed of 5200 sealant, it sucked in.

Hey smart guy!

60 knots=69.047 MPH

I've done considerable mods to my 496. We just put the heads back on after a complete port and polish, and my machinist/engine builder verified the cc's on is flow bench. We also changed the valve springs and installed Jesel Shaft mount rockers, new injectors and had the PCM reprogramed. I haven't pulled the block yet because I want to keep the boat running during the summer months. This winter I will pull the block and do the complete HO upgrade, but we are currently looking at the best cam options. The next time I'm out on the water I will take a picture of my GPS in order shut your mouth. You constantly make negative about me and my boat you $$$ $ole.

You're running 69 now? Sweet!! PM me with your costs to do all the mods if you don't mind. I'm jealous!!:)

That is flying wingnut. At least for a boat this size. One of these days I would like to come up there and go for a ride. Must be a crazy feeling in a little chop.

I'll be at the Jetty tonight at Kent Narrows with Debra, Debbie, Briarly, Christine, Jackie, and Jen for No Pets For Noah. Sholld get me back by 2 am Saturday morning.

W

I'll be at the Jetty tonight at Kent Narrows with Debra, Debbie, Briarly, Christine, Jackie, and Jen for No Pets For Noah. Sholld get me back by 2 am Saturday morning.

W

A six pack! :clapsmiley: