MonkeySeaII

Stereo Help

I'm totally lost in the world of marine stereo systems!! Shopping around and there are so many brands, different specs, etc. JL, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, etc. etc.!! How the heck do I decide!! Prices range from cheap to super expensive. I need an expert.

I'm totally lost in the world of marine stereo systems!! Shopping around and there are so many brands, different specs, etc. JL, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, etc. etc.!! How the heck do I decide!! Prices range from cheap to super expensive. I need an expert.

No you don't need an expert!

As someone put it "Others here are saying the 6.5s can't produce bass. They can" Try your set up first to see if a sub is needed. My Fusion deck added more bass and channel seperation than any deck that I have ever owned.

Look into the Fusion head units. http://www.fusionelectronics.com/marine/products/700-series They are by far in a class of there own, meaning there NOT car decks converted like most of them. There water proof and comes out of the box with 70 watts per channel. In some cases a power amp is not needed. Also the sound ( a better DAC than most) from MP3s and alike, are far better than other decks out there. There a class D amp which means cleaner sound that uses less power.

Now combine Fusion with JL, Fosgate or Infinity speakers and you have a system that you will never give up.

There remotes do not need home runs back to the deck. They can be daisy chained or put on a NMEA 2k buss.

Others here are saying the 6.5s can't produce bass. They can. While they can't do it as efficiently or as loud as a dedicated sub, they can produce quality bass -

And consider the source of the "no bass" comment, not exactly one to trust. LC you are correct, you can get plenty of bass out of the 612M's, even without an amp or sub. But adding an amp and sub just takes it to the next level.

I love my fusion. It has enough power that ai dropped the amp idea. I have the top of the line 6.5 JL's. while they have bass it wouldn't have been enough for me. Turning down the bass to the speakers and turning up the self powered sub made it thump. I would get a powered sub first, see what you have and go from there.

All great advice! My thought right now is to first get a sub (what brand I have no idea). Depending on the results, I'll go from there with speakers. Again, my Clarion amp, head and speakers have pretty good sound but I want some loud, thumping bass.

MonkeySeaII - you can do this upgrade easily, without being an expert. The results will be worth it. Adding a sub allows the smaller 6.5 inches to run more cleanly. So they sound better, and don't distort. The sub gives a nice thump, too...

brick

He already has a 4-channel amp, no need to change it. Get a self powered sub instead, or sub with mono sub-amp.

brick

A self powered is easier to install, as the amp is built into the sub enclosure. Check out a Bazooka Marine self powered 10 inch sub. Install in the port or starboard console, with the speaker pointed out. Very simple install.

brick

A self powered is easier to install, as the amp is built into the sub enclosure. Check out a Bazooka Marine self powered 10 inch sub. Install in the port or starboard console, with the speaker pointed out. Very simple install.

brick

what if your console has doors? got leave the door open swinging all day?

No, you can close console door. Bass frequencies pass through it. Same as putting a sub in the truck of your car.

may have to try that, cause a boxed speaker is way louder than a free air speaker. wonder how well it passed through the fiberglass? back seat just has to pass through cloth seats.

Not much difference on my 220 with console door open or closed. But Speaker position has major impact. No bass response if speaker points to middle of boat. Point it out, but about 4 inches from side of boat. Too close, and bass drops off. I would expect every boat is a bit differs, so you may have to experiment.

brick

forgive my ignorance: so my current amp powers 4 speakers so it's a 4 channel right? Someone said something about bridging the sub?? What does that mean?

forgive my ignorance: so my current amp powers 4 speakers so it's a 4 channel right? Someone said something about bridging the sub?? What does that mean?

Hang some bullets on your arch, keep your stock speakers and add one more amp, and you will be very pleased with the results.

Good luck brother. Oh yea, and don't forget to order that Wipple Charger :Twocents:

Trying to sneak the Whipple, CMI exhaust & Bravo X past the CFO!! Wonder if she'll notice?! :D

I'm with you, I couldn't swing the Whipple, but I was able to get a few more motor mods done. I also think I've about maxed out the Bravo Drive. I've been looking at sing prop aftermarket drive that will increase the speed. I should probably be looking at a Baja or something, but I just love this boat to much to let her go. I guess we will just keep bolting on parts. I plan to pull the block this winter and change the cam, and if the budget will allow, go with a stroker kit or just build a 540 or a 598 low deck like I have in my drag car. I do have a 13:1 650 hp. 427 for sale, but she runs on 110 octane, and right now here in FL that fuel is 9.29 per gallon at the drag strip. :slap:

I'm with you, I couldn't swing the Whipple, but I was able to get a few more motor mods done. I also think I've about maxed out the Bravo Drive. I've been looking at sing prop aftermarket drive that will increase the speed. I should probably be looking at a Baja or something, but I just love this boat to much to let her go. I guess we will just keep bolting on parts. I plan to pull the block this winter and change the cam, and if the budget will allow, go with a stroker kit or just build a 540 or a 598 low deck like I have in my drag car. I do have a 13:1 650 hp. 427 for sale, but she runs on 110 octane, and right now here in FL that fuel is 9.29 per gallon at the drag strip. :slap:

NICE!!! Send me photos of your progress! I planted a seed with the Admiral about a 29' Hustler "Lake Edition". They will install "arena style seating" in the cockpit. They will only go as high as 430 HP with this set-up but that still runs in the 70s-80s.:) She's not buying into it but I'll keep trying!!:)

Your amp is a 4channel if it has 4 inputs and 4 speaker outputs and 2 sets of crossovers. Goggle the model number to be sure.

"Bridging" is when you combine 2 channels of an amp together, to increase power output. So, as an example, you could buy a 2 channel amp, and bridge it to run one sub.

brick

Go to Crutchfield.com They have many videos on these kinds of questions.

I just checked the bass adjustment on my fusion. It is right in the middle. The neutral factory setting. All my bass is the sub. I also checked it and it isn't all the way up. I turned it to max for a mi ute and thought the boat was going to shake apart.

Sandman - as you do not have amp for your cockpit speakers, try turning the bass down on the headunit, which will clean up the sound, then turn the sub up to compensate. A little tweaking and it will sound even better!

brick

OK, so my amp is a 4 channel running the 4 speakers. So I need to either buy a powered sub or another amp to run the sub. Since I would like to add arch speakers at some point, I think I'll get another 4 channel amp and a free air sub. Is this correct?