nkdenton

New Tow Vehicle: Ford F-150 EcoBoost

I have a 2013. Love the Ecoboost. Read all the stories about the issues with the older models, but the TSB seems to have fixed most of them (not all). Haven't had a problem with mine. Love it.

post-18962-0-72381500-1379121415_thumb.j

Funny this topic came up. I/We purchased a 2013 Ford F150 FX4 just last Friday. Although we went with the V8 instead (had an additional $500 rebate). With my supplier discount and the rebates I thought it was a pretty good deal ($9800 off sticker). One slight issue - received a recall notice on Wednesday. Something about a program update on the SYNC software - #%^$&%$ Microsoft.

Won't be pulling our boat though - Signature 280.

post-691-0-33852800-1379122929_thumb.jpg

Funny this topic came up. I/We purchased a 2013 Ford F150 FX4 just last Friday. Although we went with the V8 instead (had an additional $500 rebate). With my supplier discount and the rebates I thought it was a pretty good deal ($9800 off sticker). One slight issue - received a recall notice on Wednesday. Something about a program update on the SYNC software - #%^$&%$ Microsoft.

Won't be pulling our boat though - Signature 280.

The SYNC notice is not a recall, just a software upgrade. We've had one of those on our 2012 Edge and its a piece of cake to do. I got the same notice on my Platinum the other day.

I ran across this in another forum.

I've always put my truck in 4x4 when i pull the boat out of the water - figuring it couldn't hurt to have some better traction.

Maybe you guys knew this but i looked it up and they do recommend 4LO for towing boat out of water - i've always used 4 High.

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/warning-dont-use-4wd-help-pull-boat-out-water-226473/

Thanks for the reference. I was using 4LO but didn't have this reasoning for it.

Nice looking 246 by the way!

http://www.boatingabc.com/photos/data/500/medium/image3.jpg

I'll take this mileage all day long. 4 adults 70-75 mph highway. Towing, I've been getting 15.6 and getting better as it breaks in. Boat and trailer weigh in at 5000 #s

Power galore all the way from idle to full out. Back up camera is the best option. One person trailer hook up.

My SOP for using 4WD on the ramp is:

1. In 2WD, sink the trailer as normal.

2. Drive-on, secure boat, etc as normal.

3. While at rest, engage 4LO and drive slowly STRAIGHT to the top of the ramp or until cleared of wet pavement or loose gravel, no turning the steering wheel.

4. Stop as soon as possible and return to 2WD before clearing the ramp area, then move out of the way to wipe down and make road-ready.

I do not attempt to use 4W automatic or engage 4WD during tire spin and I keep the time and distance in 4LO to an absolute minimum to try and stay in compliance with the manual.

Just bought a 2013 F150 Lariat 4x4 with the Eco Boost V6 last week. Been holding out for the intelligent push button start and entry, but 2014 order book does not include this feature, guess they're waiting until to redesign in 2015 model.

Anyway, very happy with everything so far, but only getting about 17 mph driving into Atlanta combo of highway speed and sitting in traffic. The max tow feature is really great compared to my older 2006 model, the 6 speed transmission makes a huge difference at higher speeds. Don't ever tow my boat unless it needs to go back to the dealer, but confident it can handle the job. Pulled my 16' dual axle with 2 atv's like there was nothing back there.

Glad to read all the positive impression of those that do tow regularly.

Just bought a 2013 F150 Lariat 4x4 with the Eco Boost V6 last week. Been holding out for the intelligent push button start and entry, but 2014 order book does not include this feature, guess they're waiting until to redesign in 2015 model.

Anyway, very happy with everything so far, but only getting about 17 mph driving into Atlanta combo of highway speed and sitting in traffic. The max tow feature is really great compared to my older 2006 model, the 6 speed transmission makes a huge difference at higher speeds. Don't ever tow my boat unless it needs to go back to the dealer, but confident it can handle the job. Pulled my 16' dual axle with 2 atv's like there was nothing back there.

Glad to read all the positive impression of those that do tow regularly.

I just did a round trip from Huntsville to Auburn - first road trip not towing. Averaged 19 MPG driving at 65 mph (speed limit on US 280) with some stop and go in B'ham. RPM never got above 1600 while cruising. I'm still under 3,000 miles on the vehicle. I read on an F-150 site that after break-in the economy improves up to and in some cases a little better than advertised.

Towing MPG on my vacation trip was about 9.2 average round trip up through East Tennessee mountains and back.

I bought my 2011 F-150 back in Feb with the 5.0. Numbers are very close to the EcoBoost ... and the 5.0 has two big pluses for me personally. It'll be easier for me to work on if needed and the other big plus is saving a couple $K compaired to the v6 when you buy it. Back during the summer, I made a 5 hour trip from Macon back to home in TN over a mountian or two, and I got 23 mpg (non-ethonol gas). Regularly get 18 city/ and 22 hw. But the main thing I pull is a 30' travel trailer for various job assignments out there. Get 10mpg pulling that beast. I'd eventually like to get one a little nicer and 4x4 ... but very satisfied with it for now. Have no problems pulling my lil SSI 186 around . lol.

F-150_zpsdc1aa4b9.jpg

Took me a while to sit still long enough to do this. Here are a couple of shots from the inaugural towing vacation trip. Rest break just outside of Chattanooga, TN

truckboatrear_zps50d510e0.jpg

truckboatfront_zpsa30633bb.jpg

Very nice looking truck.

My friend pulls a 20ft enclosed car trailer with an outlaw 10.5 turbo mustang inside. The truck pulls great, but he did say it turns the oil black after about 1500 miles. He thinks it needs larger intercoolers for the turbos. I'm sure the aftermarket is already selling hop up parts for the new F150's.

I just purchased a new 2013 F-150 Super Crew Platinum Eco Boost too (coming from a 2010 F-150 with V-8) on Labor Day. Been putting miles on it like crazy to get to the 1,000 mile break in period. While I just might be a bit shy of 1,000 miles, I plan on using it for the maiden tow trip this weekend. So far, admiral and I love the truck and all the bells and whistles. It is really the admiral's truck. Only time I drive it is when the boat is behind it. Looking forward to seeing how it tows this weekend.

Update: Have now towed the boat twice with the new truck mentioned in my above post. VERY pleased. Seems to me it does even better than the 2010 F 150 with V-8 that we traded in for the Eco Boost. So far, so good!

Very nice looking truck.

My friend pulls a 20ft enclosed car trailer with an outlaw 10.5 turbo mustang inside. The truck pulls great, but he did say it turns the oil black after about 1500 miles. He thinks it needs larger intercoolers for the turbos. I'm sure the aftermarket is already selling hop up parts for the new F150's.

Thanks. I need to check into that oil condition. Sounds a little premature....my wife's Edge (3.5 L non-turbo) was delivered from the factory with a special synthetic oil that didn't require a change until 10k miles. Not sure if my F-150 came with that but any oil going black at 1500 mile just doesn't seem right to me....

Ford doesn't recoment synthetic for some reason (I think so it's more chance you break the engine ;) ) ... but I insist on it if I take it into Ford for my oil change. One dealer I took it to, didn't even know that Motorcraft HAD a full synthetic. LOL . I do the whole full synthetic/10k thing. btw... meant to say, Awesome lookin truck!!! Love the color ;) . Wish mine looked a lil more like yours, but it is what it is ;) . Awesome truck/boat combo... looks awesome!!!!