Watch out for the police

I'd be calling my lawyer and providing links to the full video feed, not just the snipit. We'd need to see the full spectrum of what the cop did before we crusifiy him, or at least threaten to go through the process of it.

The US, being the most litigious society in the world, and the video footage being pretty #%^$&%$ing already (as well as the 20+ witnesses), things are not boding well for the cop. For him to hit full throttle on TWO Verado 300s, both with big stainless steel props, so close to boats and people is showing EXTREMELY poor judgement. Collision was imminent. If anything, you try to reverse to reduce impact damage. You don't put the throttles to the pins and turn as hard over as you can!!!!!!

This will cost the government (meaning you tax payers) MUCH more than 40 large deer as someone mentioned. The boat owner will get a new 24' footer, fully loaded for about 50 large deer, as well as some type of "stress" payment, probably another 50 large deer. You can also safely assume that the lawyer will double that by slapping on his 100 large deer. Those numbers could easily double too.

Gotta love the ignorance/arrogance of the cop to the boat owner too "Is this an emergency? No. Then calm down."

Its a shame that 99% of cops ( like priests, preachers, celebrities etc) get judged by what the 1% of the profession happen to do on a given day. And never enough on what the good guys do. How about all those that rushed into the world trade center on 9/11 or even more recently during the Boston bombing? How about talk about them while your at it beilwing? Now, how about lets turn that discerning eye on the person in the mirror....hmmmmmmmm ?

Its a shame that 99% of cops ( like priests, preachers, celebrities etc) get judged by what the 1% of the profession happen to do on a given day. And never enough on what the good guys do. How about all those that rushed into the world trade center on 9/11 or even more recently during the Boston bombing? How about talk about them while your at it beilwing? Now, how about lets turn that discerning eye on the person in the mirror....hmmmmmmmm ?

I agree! This particular DC cop is a real jerk! But lets not forget the men & women who protect us and keep us safe every day. They put their lives on the line and most are good people who take a ton of crap from "Joe Citizen". Every time I see my local police drive by my house, I give a big wave because I'm thankful they are keeping my family safe.

We definitely should judge this guy for what he did especially since it appears he didn't even try to help fix the problem that he caused, but not let it taint the entire profession. I agree there are "bad apples" in every line of work. I work in a finance-related field. I would hate for someone to make broad judgements about me and others in my profession based on what certain people like Bernie Madoff or the guys at Enron have done.

Will be interesting to see if there is any follow up to this story. I know I haven't seen much said about it, since this past weekend. Would defiitely like to know what his explanation was for the maneuver and then his not heading backin to check on people

And completely agree that e or two bad apples, often gives the other 99% a bad name. Same as with the military, or fire/ems, or any other profession that is supposed to be there to support the local populace. We often forget. About the countless others who do the right thing, go out of their way to assist, and are overall very good people that genuinely care about others. Being a military veteran myself, having served 21 years; it is a shame when a handful of bad folks in uniform does somethng totally stupid, unprofessional, unethical, or down right illegal - and that casts all the rest of us in a bad light. Or worse brands us as immoral and unthinking killing machines.

I am proud to have served my country, to do the things necessary to protect my fellow citizens and our way of life. And I am sure I speak for plenty of others who have worn the uniform in service to our great nation -- we want to kick the a$$es of those bad apples, even more so than the general public.

But one good lesson from this incident -- it was the good Samaritans and fellow boaters who jumped into action. We have to look out for each other, as we are out and about on the water, enjoying a pastime that is truly unique and wonderful, one we should share and promote with others.

If you read my other post you would have seen I said that I am glad there are those that volunteer for what they and probably you do. That doesn't mean you (police) shouldn't be held to a higher standard. I have had police, sheriff's deputy, as a room mate before. Your profession is in the limelight and has a bunch people that does not like it for a variety of reasons. Most, I will admit, because they have done wrong and police caught them. I will say this again, I do not hate cops, I just don't trust them.

Me, you want me to turn me eye on me? OK, I don't trust me either once I get a few makers and sprites in me, I become all internet tough guy ;-), but this is not the case here. I used to be a trusting person but now days not so much and it multiplies once they put on a uniform like yous.

You and 90% of your profession are probably great folks and I wouldn't mind buying a drink for.

Your not injured, just relax, lol!

This discussion reminds me old Russian joke.Warning - very cynical dark humor. Might be disturbing for some readers.
If you don't like Monty Python type of humor - skip this message ;)

Ex-con was asked if he has a dream. He said:
- Yes. I have a dream that I'm seating on the river shore, and watching coffins floating down the stream. And there is a cop in each coffin.
- Wait, not all cops are that bad, also there are good cops!!!
- Well, bad cops are in bad coffins, and good are in good ones.

Cops chose their line of work and I'm glad someone does because I could never put up with the crap they probably deal with on a day to day basis.

What's the old saying... Walk a mile in my shoes.

It sure is easy for you to criticize all law enforcement, yet not know or understand what they deal with daily. How hypocritical.

I'm not a cop but I do admire that they lay their lives on the line daily. Do you?

As you asked earlier, are you glad when the cops arrive? Yep, nothing to hide from.

It's amazing how critical we can be about them and, yes, they aren't all perfect, however, when You need their support, I would expect your type to come begging.

Big John, thanks for what you do.

Judge everyone by THEIR own actions, not doing some make you prejudice. Not a very good label.