orillionro86

new boat dies

yesterday on the river, im crusing at about 3500 rpm. I then give it full throtle and it died. I returned the throtle to nuetral and tried to start it, turned over but didnt crank. I wiggled the kill switch, turned the key off, and tried again and it fired up no problem. first time this happened.

Another reocuring issue, while docking, going from drive to neutral a couple time, it will die when i shift it back it to nuetral sometimes.

Don't know why you had the running problem. All I can say is try it again, and see if you get it to happen again.

As for the engine dying while shifting, sounds like the rear shift cable needs to adjusted slightly. Shift cut-out engages when shifting out of gear into neutral - sounds like it's hanging up just a little bit.

Don't know why you had the running problem. All I can say is try it again, and see if you get it to happen again.

As for the engine dying while shifting, sounds like the rear shift cable needs to adjusted slightly. Shift cut-out engages when shifting out of gear into neutral - sounds like it's hanging up just a little bit.

thanks shepard, yea i tried the full trotle and it never happened again. as far as it dying while shifting, when im in gear fordward or reverse and go to neutral, the rpms drop to the point where it almost dies and returns to idle. sometimes it drops too much and just dies.

Could try unplugging the shift anticipation mode quick-connect fitting. Can bump the idle RPM up by 50 RPM or so; found it often helps in some situations. I'll see if I can't find some pictures to show what I mean.

yes, it should be under warenty. How long is the warenty on this boat? when i bought it, the dealer gave me a bag with manuels in it. I found a warenty regesteration card in there. Do i need to fill this out?

The dealer is responsible for the warranty registration of the boat and motor both are done online. Just give them a call and see if they can make the adjustment, should take less then 30 min.

Sounds to me like another case of factory and dealers pushing out the so called "entry level" boat to the public without any QC on either end. Good luck with your dealer.

I purchased a 2013 19ft H20 this year. My sales guy mentioned that the boat while first being broken in would sometimes stall. I had a hard time believing, but he was right...after about 10 hours of use, this issue subsided.

Also, if you continue to have problems with the motor dying and not starting when you try to crank it...it might be the ignition switch. I had that problem with my boat and it required replacement. If you don't hear the alarm check sound when you turn the key...that could be your prob. Since it was a loose/short connection it would only happen intermittently.

Hope you enjoy your boat...

I purchased a 2013 19ft H20 this year. My sales guy mentioned that the boat while first being broken in would sometimes stall. I had a hard time believing, but he was right...after about 10 hours of use, this issue subsided.

Also, if you continue to have problems with the motor dying and not starting when you try to crank it...it might be the ignition switch. I had that problem with my boat and it required replacement. If you don't hear the alarm check sound when you turn the key...that could be your prob. Since it was a loose/short connection it would only happen intermittently.

Hope you enjoy your boat...

I think this is my issue. I took it to the dealer and they couldnt find anything. All last summer it would randomly die, very aggervating.

One of the best tools a dealer can have is a spare ignition switch - in the case of 2008 and later Chaparral, this means having a spare key switch with the Deutsch connector style for the techs to use when needed.

Apologize for not thinking of this sooner...

a20791714378c4d74f6ea5_l__78547.14120317

My '14 SSi had the same issue... Just died one day, ended up being a bad connector on the ignition switch (female side)...

One of the best tools a dealer can have is a spare ignition switch - in the case of 2008 and later Chaparral, this means having a spare key switch with the Deutsch connector style for the techs to use when needed.

Apologize for not thinking of this sooner...

a20791714378c4d74f6ea5_l__78547.14120317

I think this is my issue. I took it to the dealer and they couldnt find anything. All last summer it would randomly die, very aggervating.

That is what is likely going on. It was like deja vu when reading this..right down to "not believing". Sure enough, the motor once more broken never stalled and has been running better and better. Hang in there.

I also had a problem with the engine dying while underway. It was the ignition switch...had a short. Needed to get under the counsel to wiggle the wire and get it running...looks lilke both items were called out in this forum!

Had a vary simular issue on my 13' H2O. Kept happening till they replaced the Ignition. Wiggeled the wires started back up. was scary thought because it would sometimes cut off at crusing speed. Dangerous for passengers.

In 2012 we had a new boat with a Volvo that a similar issue it would for no good reason just shut down, but start right back up and run for days with no other issues.

We discovered the issue after running the boat for a few hours w/ no problems and we were heading back to the ramp and in doing so we had to maneuver around a floating dock when all of the sudden it shuts down. She started right up and headed back out to open water and came back into the dock and again she shut down in the same spot.
It turned out it would only shut down on a full steering turn because that's when the trim sender wires were being pinched IE. causing them to go to ground shutting down the engine.
Volvo runs the trim sender through the ECM so when they are grounded it will shut down the engine.
Moral of the story, I know its unnerving when things like this happens but the more information you can give the service shop the quicker it can be repaired.
Think about:
How long and at what speed you were running before the incident
Going straight or making a turn
Did you come off of another boats wake
There are no codes when things like this happen so the more information you can provide the quicker it can be resolved.
If your in a safe area go out and try to make it do it again and then again.
If your getting a sense of when its going to happen take a video of it.