jdmalone

new member from Smyrna, Tn with 88 198c xl

A friend of mine was a little slow winterizing his boat one year. Cracked the block so he went from a 5.0L to the bigger 350ci engine. As far as I know they are both small block Chevys so it should fit no problem. Some one will chime in with a definite answer.

Long time but still haven't been on the water. Cracked the block, bought a $150 motor from a friend. Rebuilt it, got it running last night but i tightened the shift rod in the out drive all the way down not thinking it required a certain height. Got it out tonight and will fix that thrn a few more checks and i will put it on the water after some pressure washing and vacuuming...this weekend. FINGERS CROSSED!!!

My concern with just replacing the upper gear case is that the metal particulate that came from your failed gears undoubtedly migrated into the lower gear case and at the very least I would suspect bad bearings there if not some bad gear teeth. Another option is putting a Merc conversion kit on your transom as the Alpha Drives are available everywhere, but then you would need both the SEI kit and a new prop. If you do go with just the new upper, please be sure to pull the lower apart, reseal and inspect it at the very least. W

hey guys sorry for the long wait, everything is good. got motor rebuilt and installed and got it out on lake normandy a few times now. it is nice and quiet out there this time of year. only a few bass boats. she runs great though the shift cable will be getting replaced over the winter and some interior work done now that the wife sees the boat works and is a keeper. kids love it too.

now for some pics.... it needs cleaning but i just wanted to get it out before year end and i did!!!

IMG_20151005_175358708_HDR_zpsteaohcw7.j

IMG_20150927_130308728_HDR_zpsmfzzyq82.j

My concern with just replacing the upper gear case is that the metal particulate that came from your failed gears undoubtedly migrated into the lower gear case and at the very least I would suspect bad bearings there if not some bad gear teeth. Another option is putting a Merc conversion kit on your transom as the Alpha Drives are available everywhere, but then you would need both the SEI kit and a new prop. If you do go with just the new upper, please be sure to pull the lower apart, reseal and inspect it at the very least. W

thank you for the advice, i did just that and all in the lower end looked great. i must have caught it early.

lower end no longer looks great....decided to try out percy priest and doing about 15 mph through a channel and caught a huge rock and did some fiberglass damage as well as put a huge hole in the front of the lower unit. luckily this was the last time i had planned to go out for this year. now to winterize the motor and work on a new lower unit along with fiberglass repairs. ugh my luck.

lower end no longer looks great....decided to try out percy priest and doing about 15 mph through a channel and caught a huge rock and did some fiberglass damage as well as put a huge hole in the front of the lower unit. luckily this was the last time i had planned to go out for this year. now to winterize the motor and work on a new lower unit along with fiberglass repairs. ugh my luck.

Where about on the lake did you hit the rock? I just looked at the chart and I don't think I would boat on that water without guidance.