Car care

Chaparral

All I want is boat fixed. In one trip not many

You bought a boat from a salesperson who didn't have to back it up.

That's not a "great dealer"

I don't see a design flaw in my scuppers other than the fact they should have flaps.

The thru hull fittings are about 3 inches higher than the 2 scuppers on the deck by the engine thats what causes water to run in when your anchored and a good wave hits, I put thru hulls with scuppers on and that did not help, the 2 thru hulls were plugged and the scuppers were teed into the ski locker thru hull that was low enough to solve the problem.

So far my dealer has been very responsive. I am also happy with the overall quality.

My last dealer was also very good and ran a full blown repair shop along with the dealership.

He was very explicit with people who bought chaps elsewhere but bring to him for service.

He was obligated to fix them under warranty but they were not a priority for him.

Unless you have a chap issue, you can bring your boat to any vendor, merc, vp etc.

What type of service are you looking to have done on your boat?

I have emailed Robin a few times and within 24 hours have gotten a response.

The factory PAYS A DEALER MONEY to handle any complaints.

The dealer NEVER pays the factory money to handle a customer complaint.

See a pattern ?

All my out of warranty questions were answered quickly & correctly. Very happy with Chaparral.

The thru hull fittings are about 3 inches higher than the 2 scuppers on the deck by the engine thats what causes water to run in when your anchored and a good wave hits, I put thru hulls with scuppers on and that did not help, the 2 thru hulls were plugged and the scuppers were teed into the ski locker thru hull that was low enough to solve the problem.

I've never had this issue.

Robin at Chap customer service is awesome. Dan Osbourne does not return calls or reply to e-mails.

That being said, Chap did replace the leaking gas tank in my boat when it was four years old.

I've had three Chaps (cruisers) in 10 years. My first boat was purchased in VA, and the family owner and salesperson were very clear in their first bit of advice. They told me that you would have a relationship with the dealer that's more involved than the relationship with a car dealer. Buy a good brand, but make the purchase at a dealership who promises to stand by the product line. Given that the price generally determines which two or three manufacturers are being considered, the dealer reputation and service are probably more important than which of the three comparable manufacturers is chosen. Was good advice.

Scott

If Chap will give me the part I will fix it myself.

Next closest Chap dealer to you is Yachts to Sea at Carlyle Lake in Illinois. Probably about 3 hours from you. What's wrong with your boat?

OK, I'm getting a little mad. Dash dimmer inop. Called dealer yesterday they still don't have Garmin cover after 2 months. First thing to upset me. Told them I have vibration when turning at low and high speed trim up or down. Asked if someone can look at it. First boat I have owned with Bravo 3 maybe normal I don't know. She told me there would be a charge to test drive. I almost dropped my phone. So now I'm trying to find out my next step. Still no contact from Chap at all. This is beginning to be a bad deal. I have car dealer that I buy from will come and get our cars or trucks and leave us something to use while in the shop. P.S. all warranty work so not much in it for them except customer satisfaction. Maybe should have bought Colbalt. For a boat that has a sticker price of Dollars that is correct USD NOT DEER! My billfold burns dollars not deer!

Funny 2 months I have nothing. No e-mails no retured calls no customer survey.

:slap:

The National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) today announced 29 recipients of the 2013 Marine Industry CSI Awards for excellence in customer satisfaction.

BAYLINER: Deck Boats, Sterndrive Bowrider Boats

BENNINGTON MARINE: Pontoon Boats

BOSTON WHALER: Fiberglass Outboard Boats

CHAPARRAL BOATS: Deck Boats, Sterndrive Bowrider Boats, Sterndrive Cuddy and Express Boats

CYPRESS CAY: Pontoon Boats

FOREST RIVER MARINE: Pontoon Boats

FORMULA BOATS: Sterndrive Bowrider Boats

G3 BOATS: Pontoon Boats, Aluminum Outboard Boats

GODFREY PONTOONS: Pontoon Boats

GRADY-WHITE BOATS: Fiberglass Outboard Boats

HARRIS FLOTEBOTE: Pontoon Boats

HONDA MARINE: Outboard Engines

LUND BOATS: Aluminum Outboard Boats, Fiberglass Outboard Boats

MASTERCRAFT: Inboard Watersports Boats

MERIDIAN: Inboard Flybridge Sedans and Convertibles

MERCURY MARINE: Outboard Engines, Inboard Engines, Sterndrive Engines

MONTEREY BOATS: Sterndrive Bowrider Boats, Sterndrive Cuddy and Express Boats

MOOMBA BOATS: Inboard Watersports Boats

NAUTIQUE BOATS: Inboard Watersports Boats

POLAR KRAFT BOATS: Aluminum Outboard Boats

PURSUIT BOATS: Fiberglass Outboard Boats

REGAL MARINE: Deck Boats, Inboard Express Cruisers Boats, Sterndrive Bowrider Boats

ROBALO BOATS: Fiberglass Outboard Boats

SEA RAY BOATS: Deck Boats, Inboard Express Cruisers Boats, Sterndrive Bowrider Boats, Sterndrive Cuddy and Express Boats

SKEETER BOATS: Fiberglass Bass Boats

SUPRA BOATS: Inboard Watersports Boats

TIARA YACHTS: Inboard Express Cruiser Boats

VOLVO PENTA: Sterndrive Engines

YAMAHA OUTBOARDS: Outboard Engines

http://www.nmma.org/news.aspx?id=18520

OK, I'm getting a little mad. Dash dimmer inop. Called dealer yesterday they still don't have Garmin cover after 2 months. First thing to upset me. Told them I have vibration when turning at low and high speed trim up or down. Asked if someone can look at it. First boat I have owned with Bravo 3 maybe normal I don't know. She told me there would be a charge to test drive. I almost dropped my phone. So now I'm trying to find out my next step. Still no contact from Chap at all. This is beginning to be a bad deal. I have car dealer that I buy from will come and get our cars or trucks and leave us something to use while in the shop. P.S. all warranty work so not much in it for them except customer satisfaction. Maybe should have bought Colbalt. For a boat that has a sticker price of Dollars that is correct USD NOT DEER! My billfold burns dollars not deer!

I have not had to ask my dealer for any kind of "road test" for my boat issues but I do know that the Ford dealer I use for my cars will do a road test and diagnostic for cars for no charge under warranty. The Ford dealer in my town (4.5 miles from my office, 2.5 miles from my house) will take me to work after I drop off for service and come get me afterwards in a courtesy car. They will not do vehicle pick-up/drop-off and the Lincoln dealer who used to do that no longer does it, either. The next nearest Ford dealer is 15 miles away and will not drop me off or come get me when I take the vehicle to them. Simple matter of distance and economics. If I take my Ford to the independent mechanic I also like (and who works on all makes/models), they charge me $75 for the first hour's diagnostics and troubleshooting. If I leave it with them for service, the $75 is just rolled into the normal service bill -- essentially I have just prepaid the first hour of technician's time, and since there is no warranty obligation I have to pay for their expertise out of pocket. It's a choice I make but I can't get mad at the independent mechanic for charging me for time working on my Ford when he has no connection to the warranty system.

I thought you said in an earlier post that your dealer had outsourced their service work so perhaps this is the reason for the test drive charge - they are an independent mechanic. If this is the case, then get your dealer who sold you the boat to foot the bill for these things. You really need to be working your relationship with your dealer and they have an opportunity to win your business loyalty. If they don't do that, then they won't be in business long -- Chap has no authority over their day to day business choices, they just supply them with stock to sell and back them up when necessary *if they are doing things right in the first place*. If they aren't, they won't be around long. See the pattern here?

If you show up at another authorized Chap dealer who did not get your sales business in the first place, be prepared for the fact that you may not get out of there without writing a check. If they are able to back-charge Chap for issues then maybe you don't pay anything. It will be THAT dealer's chance to build your loyalty. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

The boat business is not like the car business and never will be. That's just a reality.

I work in the water softener & filtration industry. In my line of work, the end customer works with the dealer, not the manufacturer. The manufacturers don't have the capacity to deal with the end users. They are set up to sell volume to a smaller group of buyers (the dealers). In fact, some of the manufacturers only sell to wholesalers. The dealers, in turn, sell to the end users in their respective territories. In order to maintain a good relationship with the manufacturer or wholesaler the dealer takes good care of the customers. This is just like Keith said, it's a pattern of good business. If the dealer doesn't take good care of the customers, the dealer won't last. They will sell less boats because of their reputation and eventually the manufacturer will find another dealer.

If I bought a new boat or a used one that was under warranty, I would try to establish a long lasting relationship with my dealer. It may cost you more to use them for service and preventative maintenance, but if you are a regular you will also get priority service when you need it, especially when they have to deal with Chap for a warranty issue.

In our water softener business, some of our customers have us service their equipment every year, and some only call us when something breaks. Guess who goes to the top of the list when they call?

Yesterday I was contacted by Dan at Chaparral. He was very nice and going to help get everything taking care of. Thank you for the call Dan.

I'm sorry I was not clear on test drive. Mine plan was to meet someone at the boat slip they do demo's at for quick ride. I take boat in and out. As for 31 years in repair industry I do know customer complaint, test drive then diagnose. Not a boat mechanic but do know not all problems can not be diagnosed with water hose hooked to drive. You need the load of the boat on drive line. I understand customers are all important. I have fleets that spend 6 figures a year with me and they do go to top list of work to be done. All I can say is I was a little disappointed that I bought a new 2012 H2O 19 last year and a new 257 SSX this year and feel like I got the blow off. All I am asking for is a little of their time. I now have someone's time for test drive. I'm very understanding as for my day is spent dealing with customers and drivability issues.

Thank you Again Dan

Yesterday I was contacted by Dan at Chaparral. He was very nice and going to help get everything taking care of. Thank you for the call Dan.

I'm sorry I was not clear on test drive. Mine plan was to meet someone at the boat slip they do demo's at for quick ride. I take boat in and out. As for 31 years in repair industry I do know customer complaint, test drive then diagnose. Not a boat mechanic but do know not all problems can not be diagnosed with water hose hooked to drive. You need the load of the boat on drive line. I understand customers are all important. I have fleets that spend 6 figures a year with me and they do go to top list of work to be done. All I can say is I was a little disappointed that I bought a new 2012 H2O 19 last year and a new 257 SSX this year and feel like I got the blow off. All I am asking for is a little of their time. I now have someone's time for test drive. I'm very understanding as for my day is spent dealing with customers and drivability issues.

Thank you Again Dan

Glad to hear this got addressed.

Man I am jealous about that 257SSX.....awesome ride.

Do you call Ford Motor Company about your truck or do you call your Ford dealer? The dealership network is responsible for the after the sale service. The dealers know the problems and how to fix them better than any manufacture. Always find a good dealer or service center before you buy the boat, car, truck, motorcycle or anything you can't fix yourself.

I have called GMC direct, and they offer great mediation with the local dealer for service. That why I don't own a POC Ford. IF you pay top dollar for a boat, car, spaceship ect. you should get some kind of factory support before, during and after the sale. :Twocents:

I have involved Ford's factory rep and product owner when the dealer was not doing right. They responded appropriately - no biggie. I own 5 Fords right now, 6 previously. Only ever done that twice. No other issues. The point of this thread was dealer network is the front line and the starting point for help on issues for auto companies and moreso for boats. Factory is secondary. Original poster wasn't doing that.

I have involved Ford's factory rep and product owner when the dealer was not doing right. They responded appropriately - no biggie. I own 5 Fords right now, 6 previously. Only ever done that twice. No other issues. The point of this thread was dealer network is the front line and the starting point for help on issues for auto companies and moreso for boats. Factory is secondary. Original poster wasn't doing that.

That's cool, we all have our personal preferences when it comes to vehicles or boats. All I'm saying is that there is a lot of folks on this forum who have paid top dollar for Chappy's only to be left feeling like the factory doesn't give a $hit about there issues. I personally purchased a Mercruiser Manual and fixed my own punch list of issues on our boat without the need of my local dealer or anyone else. I realize some people don't have the resources to do that, and its a shame that so many owners feel like they are out in the cold. I'm sure a lot of people have decided to go to other Mfg.'s when they decide to trade in there boat.

P.S. I'm still a Chevy guy! That's why my 236 has an 8.1 Mag. :thl_speedboat:

I have called GMC direct, and they offer great mediation with the local dealer for service. That why I don't own a POC Ford. IF you pay top dollar for a boat, car, spaceship ect. you should get some kind of factory support before, during and after the sale. :Twocents:

MSRP + destination charge is top dollar. I'd venture a guess that you didn't pay that?

So sad the boating season is over. Time to winterize And back to storage. I guess it's time to dedicate my time to becoming and alcoholic.

So sad the boating season is over. Time to winterize And back to storage. I guess it's time to dedicate my time to becoming and alcoholic.

:beer-7687-1:

You have to drink alot while watching the Tigers play football against the SEC teams. :drink-buddy: