shari

Boating with non boat owners

Do you like your boat full of people or prefer quiet solitude on the water? I must be ready for a fishing boat or something. :Twocents:

I really like the solitude on our boat. When I boat I am looking to relieve some stress. Most of the time we don't even turn on the radio or TV, quiet time. Many years ago when I had a fishing boat it was the same thing. I would go fishing alone and really enjoyed hitting the lake before sun up when there was almost no one on the lake. Don't do any fishing on the 330.

I am split on this one. We bought a boat bigger than we really needed because we're not quite ready to be full-time empty nesters. So the Admiral and I invite younger families out for a day on the water tubing, skiing, swimming, etc -- usually once or twice a month, but not every week. We like to think it keeps us young.

On the other hand, we also will spend an entire day or weekend on the water alone, sometimes not even getting wet but just cruising and floating as we take a notion. At least one evening a week we will splash the boat for an evening "dinner cruise" a few miles upstream and just kill the engine and have a sandwich or wine & cheese plate or something. Watch the sunset and wait for moonrise, particularly this time of year. It is therapeutic and almost like a mini-vacation for stress relief and a temporary break from the worries of the day.

I tend to become rather zen with my boat whether I'm cruising at 30 or anchored in my favorite spot most of the time. I guess this would be my preference. But I don't mind taking friends out for a cruise once in awhile.

Usually depends on my mood. We are lucky in that we get to spend alot of time alone on our boat. Weekdays we can spend the entire day on the boat at the dock and not see another person come along. My wife loves entertaining but it tends to be friends from the marina. When we go out we usually go alone or with other boat owners. After some bad experiences with non boaters we got stingy with the invites.

Bill

Lady-G Sig 310

Non boat owners can be tricky, I am sort of picky about what happens on oars my boat. I tend not to invite other unless they are boat owners themselves or they come along in their own boat. I hate to come off as a party pooper when others are trying to have fun, but at the end of the day, nobody stays to help clean, fill up the gas tank, assist with maintenance...so I guess I am allowed to be picky, lol!

We don't like inviting guests. Never know if they're having a good time or not, and don't like to stress about it!

We enjoy inviting guests on our boat, but now we seem to be outgrowing it. Now it seems like sardines in a can, by the time I put two full families on my boat.

We still enjoy it, but I like it more when the kids get on the banana boat, and we only have 4-5 adults in the boat, with the kids are being towed behind. it is much better.

As for sloppy guests, as people leave the boat, I tell them to pick up "stuff" as they leave. The kids need more detailed instructions, but the adults get it. Problem solved.

we have friends that come and visit some for a day and some for the weekend.

we have a cabin so theres no sleep overs an the boat.

But the best is just the wife and i + two Schnauzers.

And now with Labor Day behind us we have Texoma all to our own.

Dinner in a cove,some vino, music....

turn off gen and open hatches sleep the nights away......

9 out of 10 times it is just the boss and me and we like that. We don't mind inviting folks but we get out more during the week than we do on weekends. I think she would be fine with us always by ourselves but I like having folks around sometimes. Maybe once a month we even head over to "party" cove and tie up with family, friends, and even strangers just for the whole social aspect of boating.

As far as quiet time though, we usually have tunes on even if we can barely hear them, moving or not. winner of the last game we played gets to pick the station. We play cribbage when it is just her and I and originally we played for radio rights but this year she added a twist. Loser does push ups, or random work out thing. As we get older the pounds seem to add up fast but are stubborn to leave. So this is to try to help us stay a bit more fit.

I think you should ask yourself, do I enjoy the company of the people, not if they are boaters or not. And why would you go anywhere or do anything with someone that you do not enjoy being with? Denny.