Duane2135

Heading to Kemah Texas

14 posts in this topic

So the wife and I are headed to the Kemah Boardwalk between Houston and Galveston October 4th. I'm thinking that I'll haul the boat down. So my question is, what should make my list for things to see in ClearLake or Galveston Harbor?

kemah boardwalk is nice. but after a few hours you will have seen everything.

non boating sites

NASA is a good one. there are tons of small shops around that area, along with farmers markets, and things to browse through. the restaraunts on the boardwalk are overpriced seafood fast food for the most part. there is a saltgrass and landry's is good. Also try T bone toms right down the street. they have great food, and live music almost every night. there are also fresh seafood markets across the canal from kemah, if you have a way to cook it.

boating sites.

everyone loves outriggers under the bridge you can boat up and dock then go eat. There is also boondoggles, and taylor lake if you want to just float or tube. you can cruse up and down the channel by kemah, like cruising town back in the day. lots of boats of many types. out in the bay there is redfish island, and another island that the corps built. it has a small beach on it. Topwater grill is out south of san leon, some really nice vessels frequent that one.

if you get bored with that, you could go out down to galveston. you have the seawall, east beach, the pleasure pier, many many restaurants, and the strand. If any of this sounds interesting let me know and i can help you plan.

its all salt water though, so be prepared to do some extra maintenance on the boat when you pull it out.

I put in here.

http://goo.gl/maps/scIBP

its a bit of a drive to the lake and the bay, but its not a busy, and the water isnt as salty either.

hopfully by then ill have mine ready to go, and we can join you.

Beason nailed it. We are here now and other than a few turns on the ferry wheel near the marina at Seabrook and a round of golf, bars and beach is it.

Boondoggles and outriggers and doing the & Kehma water-drag all sound fun. I've been there once earlier in the year on business and was without my boat. I'm ready for the salt, it's just part of it. We're going with two other couples and staying Friday and Saturday night. My friends are drinkers and are going to do Octoberfest there. I myself like to drink but can't handle doing it all day, so I'm hoping to play on the boat during the day, then bar hop at night.

the service writer says mine will be done by next weekend, but we are supposed to be doing a garage sale saturday. maybe we can meet up saturday afternoon or evening.

if you need somewhere to wash down, let me know. any idea where you will be staying?

Saturday afternoon sounds good. We're staying at The Clipper Inn, just a few blocks from the boardwalk. I'll send you a pm with my contact info. Wash down info would be good to know.

there is a car wash on nasa parkway just north of the bridge, that i see a lot of boats at, but i dont know if they have a hose for the engine. you could drag it over to the house if you have to, but that is a few miles away.

i just looked up the location. you are a block away from T-bone toms. they have live bands out back, and its normally a nice crowd.

I know this thread is a few years old.   We are planning to boat here from Lake Charles, La.  My intention is to fuel up once on the way to insure we have a ample supply not to run out trying to cross the bay.  Dock up at Kemah for a couple nights then venture back.  I spoke to another local boater here in Lake Charles who has made the voyage a couple times.  He says at 30 MPH its only about a 3 hour ride. 

This will be our first time making a trip of this nature with our 260.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks

I like Kemal.  You probably have enough fuel to get there non-stop, if at best cruise speed.  Like you, I'd feel better with 1 stop, so you are able to cruise at any comfortable speed.

Yes I think I probably could make it on a tank but rather be safe than sorry.  I thought maybe carrying a 5 gallon can of gas incase I get in a bind if I go non stop.