Paradisus

Rinker vs Chaparral

39 posts in this topic

Having a tough time trying to decide what to do? We have a 2013 216 ssi that we've thoroughly enjoyed this summer but as I've mentioned in another post, we really should have bought a cruiser. Being new to boating, we really weren't sure what kind of boaters we were but have found out the hard way that our boat is too small.

So this is the tough decision .... since we will take a major hit if we trade it in, we are looking at maybe a more affordable option ie a Rinker. I've heard they are a good boat for the money and we liked the layout of the cockpit (only have seen pictures)but IMHO I still think you can't beat a Chaparral. If we hadn't purchased our bowrider this would be a no brainer but just trying to justify the money we would be out by trading up so soon.

Any advice you could give would be very helpful!

Well.. words of advice? Buy something used. That way when you figure out you don't want it you don't break the bank.

I started off with a 2000 Four Winns H180 bowrider with a 3.0. Awesome boat, but underpowered. Needed at least v6. Liked the idea of having a cabin. Sold that for a profit.

Picked up a 2009 Stingray 195CS. Preowned at the dealer with 3 years of extended warranty left. V6. cabin. Fast and small little lake boat. Started using the cabin a lot. Proved to be too small. Sold that for a profit.

Did a bunch of shopping and checking out boats in person. I decided wanted either a 215 ssi or Four Winns 205 Sundowner. I have to stick under 22ft LOA for my dock. The 205 has a nicer cockpit but the 215's cabin is nearly double that of the 205. Picked up a low hour 2003 215ss cause it's what I found forsale first. Glad I got it, I sleep on it at least once a week the bigger cabin is awesome.

Will I sell that one day? Sure, and for a profit. I'm trying to convince the HOA to allow me to dock a 2003-2005 Four Winns 248 Vista. That's my end goal for boating in the foreseeable future. A pocket cruiser that's easy to tow and looks modern and sexy.

Moral of the story? If you're new to boating don't buy new. Stick around the used market for a while until you really get your feet planted in what you want.

+1 Ric

Buying used can really pay off in "not paying off".

Never had a new boat but always bought a " new to me boat ".

Current boat was at least 10k deer less then other same boats at the time.

Looking to upgrade a few years and/or feet and stay in the same price range.

There are plenty of boats for sale.... wait for the one that "speaks" to you.

Good luck!

Cheers..

Bought a 2000 Rinker 216 bowrider with 300 hp mag Merc. Would do 52 mph here at 4800 fit elevation. Great boat for the money and had no problems at all with it. The kids loved it.

Sold it after 7 years then bought a used 2003 Chap 240 Signature in 2012. Ended up spending 2 deer on repairs. Love the Chap and never looked back.. 49 mph at this elevation and a much smoother ride. Nice interior and more usable for us now that kids are gone.

I agree with posters above. Keep looking for a good boat that will better fit your needs as they do change as time goes by. I guess what I am saying is if you go used it is less expensive to try something different when your needs change. Just don't be in a hurry when shopping. The right one will come along.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Wish I had joined this forum before buying our boat! Anyway .... I really love our boat and have had some great times on the water. I agree with buying used and saw a beautiful 2008 250 Chaparral the other day that was like new. Unfortunately, the bank only recognizes the book value, which was 8 deer under the asking price so not sure if the financing will work. If I had to choose, that would be the way to go!

I owned a Rinker back in the mid-90s. Great boat, very few problems with it. Rinker makes a nice quality boat. Not quite on the level of Chaparral but still decent boats for the money. If you buy used, just be sure to do your homework and due diligence. Surveys are very important. I was burned years ago on a used purchase that turned into a nightmare. It was my first boat so I didn't know what I was doing.

Yup, there's always deals to be had. Cash in hand talks.

I paid 1600 for the H180, sold it for 6.

I paid 14,500 for the Stingray, sold it for 22

I paid 14,800 for the 215. I'll eventually sell it for 26ish

I'm making almost 10k a boat when I sell them. When you buy a boat "new", you can easily say you lost 10k when you sold it. Usually much more.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Wish I had joined this forum before buying our boat! Anyway .... I really love our boat and have had some great times on the water. I agree with buying used and saw a beautiful 2008 250 Chaparral the other day that was like new. Unfortunately, the bank only recognizes the book value, which was 8 deer under the asking price so not sure if the financing will work. If I had to choose, that would be the way to go!

WHY ARE YOU SO AFRAID TO OFFER THE 8K BELOW THE ASKING PRICE. YOU HAVE THE PROOF TO BACK UP THE OFFER AND THEY ARE WELL AWARE OF THAT FIGURE AS WELL. HECK, I WOULD OFFER 12K BELOW SO YOU GET A GOOD DEAL. AFTER ALL, YOU'RE IN CONTROL HERE. I OFFERED HALF OF THE ASKING PRICE AND 20 MIN. LATER THEY TOOK IT. YOU NEVER KNOW

Why would you buy for above book value?

Boats in Ontario are overpriced anyway, as is everything else in Canada.

Do what the OP suggested above. All they can say is NO or come back with a better price.

Do not forget to make your offer conditional on marine survey.

BTW, I was in Kingston city marina yesterday looking for some place sheltered from wind to have lunch.

I made a lowball offer on mine, the Owner didn't like it. 3 weeks later, He had a check and I have a great boat. :beer-7687-1:

us too.... we came in with a low ball offer - 20,000 deer under asking price - they countered - we countered & settled - 12,000 deer under asking price & Book Value - don't be afraid to play the game - lots of boats on the market - its a "buyers" dream right now :)

us too.... we came in with a low ball offer - 20,000 deer under asking price - they countered - we countered & settled - 12,000 deer under asking price & Book Value - don't be afraid to play the game - lots of boats on the market - its a "buyers" dream right now :)

Good thing! :haha-7383: You guys sure used that herd of deer properly on the modification budget!!! :drool5:

If the bank only recognizes book value that was 8k under asking price, then the boat is probably overpriced. Most banks look at Average retail, not dealer cost.

Shop around, don't be in a hurry! Found the layout, style we wanted. Found one on-line, 4 states away, made low ball offer, rejected. Called back 3 weeks later. Owner said "today's your lucky day! just got off the phone with my x wife's attorny's she wants half of what I have so give me 1 deer more than what I owe and she's yours". Was way less than my low ball off. Never looked back, love the boat!

Good thing! :haha-7383: You guys sure used that herd of deer properly on the modification budget!!! :drool5:

Yes we sure did ! Cool thing is - we constantly have people asking if we are wanting to sell her....so when the 2ft-itis kicks in, we wont have any trouble selling her ;)

Yes we sure did ! Cool thing is - we constantly have people asking if we are wanting to sell her....so when the 2ft-itis kicks in, we wont have any trouble selling her

No doubt! She's a beauty! :clapsmiley:

Shop around, don't be in a hurry! Found the layout, style we wanted. Found one on-line, 4 states away, made low ball offer, rejected. Called back 3 weeks later. Owner said "today's your lucky day! just got off the phone with my x wife's attorny's she wants half of what I have so give me 1 deer more than what I owe and she's yours". Was way less than my low ball off. Never looked back, love the boat!

My last cruiser was a divorce boat. The boat had less than 10 hours on the engines and genset, The boat was only 9 months old and it looked like new. It even came with the extended warranty. It was a beautiful boat, I paid a lot less than what was still owed on the boat. Probably would still have that boat if it hadn't been totaled in a storm.

I've really enjoyed reading your comments and we are very close (95 %) ready to make a deal on 2008 250 signature. They've accepted an offer of 53 deer, 5 deer less than their asking price but the boat is about 4 hours away and they need to know by tomorrow as they will have to haul it out by Wed. The boat is in excellent condition and was treated with TLC. Any advice you can give at this point would be very much appreciated. It means we will be carrying 2 boats until we sell our 216 ssi. Any offers (lol)

I had the same problem in the beginning of summer. I found a 206 and a rinker. The rinker was 3 hours away and the chap was close. Price was comparable, but the rinker had a few more options, that I liked. I bit the bullet one day and rode out to see the rinker. It wasn't even close to the quality of the chaparral. We rode home and bought the 206. We love it

Rinker makes a cheap small express cruiser that looks nice, but... probably like a stingray boat. Looks good, built like garbage.

I was really looking for a 232 Captiva earlier this year. One actually came up for sale and I went and looked at it. Guy wanted way over high book for it and it was in OK shape but slightly neglected. One thing I noticed I thought was odd was the chrome on the rub rail was all rusted. I never saw that before. I did notice right away after finding my 235 that the Rinker Build Quality was far inferior to the Chappy. Glad I waited and found the 235 I bought. Much nicer boat for less money!

Do you think a marine survey is necessary on a 2008 if it's been treated well and I have the service & maintenance records which look A-1?

our boat is a 2008 - we surveyed her

for your own protection - you should survey ANY used boat - who knows how it was treated/stored/used/abused...

unfortunalely - can't trust anyones word these days :(

Good Luck :)