Sign in to follow this  
Richard W

Island Hopping ... the last cruise this season

A few pictures from my last cruise of the season over past weekend extended by a few days ... enjoy!

Smoke on the water ...
page20-1000-full.jpg

... a fire in the sky
page20-1001-full.jpg

Aubrey Island SE docks
page20-1002-full.jpg

Gordon Marine in Gananoque ... being closed for good now
page20-1003-full.jpg

Shallow dock on NE side of Gordon Island
page20-1005-full.jpg

Sunset over Gananoque, view from Gordon Island
page20-1004-full.jpg

Gordon Island
page20-1006-full.jpg

Milton Island
page20-1008-full.jpg

West view from Milton Island
page20-1010-full.jpg

On anchor on Cataraqui River, fueled up and getting ready to go home ... :(
page20-1011-full.jpg

Someday in the distant future I will live the cruiser life. The thought of island hopping with no rush to get back to port is very appealing. Nice shots.

Beautiful shots! Love to visit the 1000 islands in the Summer. Used to have a Larson 280 that we kept at the TI Club on Wellesly Island for a couple summers. SERIOUS boats up there!!! Now, we keep our SeaDoo Speedster 200 jet boat at our NY house so we can trailer around NYS in the Summer & we always try to make time for a visit up to the 1000 Islands.

I recall a couple years ago, there was a real issue about the border patrol hassling those who boated into the other country's waterways (not fishing or anchoring, just driving down the river). Curious to hear if that anxiety has subsided and allowed for more normal traffic up there. I recall that the Admiral was quite freaked out by the thought of having our boat seized just because we (I) screwed up and inadvertently wandered into Canadian waters... Let me know your local knowledge.

Someday in the distant future I will live the cruiser life. The thought of island hopping with no rush to get back to port is very appealing. Nice shots.

It was very relaxing, lazy kind of outing ... put barely 10 hours on the engine during 5 day cruise. Starting on Monday I had the entire Gordon and Milton islands to myself which was surprising as the islands are close to towns and really occupied during summer. Still had some company ... friendly mink on Aubrey, obnoxious racoons on Gordon, and one crazy duck on Milton ... :)

I recall a couple years ago, there was a real issue about the border patrol hassling those who boated into the other country's waterways (not fishing or anchoring, just driving down the river). Curious to hear if that anxiety has subsided and allowed for more normal traffic up there. I recall that the Admiral was quite freaked out by the thought of having our boat seized just because we (I) screwed up and inadvertently wandered into Canadian waters... Let me know your local knowledge.

Yeah, there was the incident two years ago when an American was fishing in Canadian waters without clearing the border and without fishing license. The Canadians got a bit formal and fined the guy for landing without reporting (fishing, anchoring, rafting, and docking is considered landing). Guy did not have the means to pay on the spot so his boat was impounded until he pays. It had become an international incident and eventually the fine was reduced.

His excuse was that he (and others) was doing this for years ... ha ... things had changed in the last decade ... especially on the US side. The "homeland security" was created and all these new rules and regulations were put in place. I bet, no Canadian is going to go into US waters and land without reporting, and expect not to be harassed by US CBP when caught.

You can cross the border back and forth without reporting as long as you do not land on the other side. If you do land, you need to report, and then you need to report back in the country you came from upon return.

Personally I had no problem on either side of the border in three seasons I boat here. I crossed the border many times back and forth and reported when required. Passed countless local/state/provincial and federal authorities including USCG and CCG, waved and continued on my way. There was one interesting event that I cannot explain ...

Last year, coming from Canada I was still in Canadian waters drifting and having lunch some 500 yards from the US border, on a boat with Canadian numbers. These two gray "homeland security" RIBs with green stripped pilot houses from Wellesley Island outpost, with black clad man in full assault gear approached me from the US side at high speed. They were on a collision course and seemed to have no intention of slowing down. I grabbed the handheld air horn and was ready to give them five short ones but hesitated fearing the consequences. The RIBs, still at high speed, turned 90 degree and away some 20 feet from my boat ... go figure. Some stupid exercise or mistaken identity? I will never know.

Very Nice! We were out on Lake George this weekend, had planned for a full weekend of Island camping, but only Saturday was good enough to go. Not fun breaking camp in the rain, so just a day trip.

RedRockBay10513.jpg

100_3404.jpg

100_3410.jpg

100_3402.jpg

I'm jealous. With our lake system our here you're stuck where you launch, one lake. Pull out and trailer somewhere else and then you're stuck there. I would love to have the freedom to go from place to place like you can. And such beautiful scenery!! Not that ours are terrible but here at the lower elevations of California some of our lakes have nice shorelines and some look like the surface of the moon!

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

Hoping to get in a couple of more runs before the weather turns.