Sign in to follow this  
BigRiver

Quick and Quiet Exhaust.....

Is it worth the expense?

I'm ordering a 2014 Sunesta 264, just about fully loaded out but with the exception of the thru hull exhaust. A few people in sales had advised against it saying that after a few minutes of the loud exhaust, most people switch it off.

Those of you that have this feature, how much do you use it? Would you buy it again? Any problems associated with this feature?

Thanks in advance for the opinions.

I use mine most of the time. I love it and wouldn't go without it. I'm a performance boat junkie though and the sound of a big block engine is music to my ears. About the only time I close mine is during tubing/skiing and at night. And sometimes when the Admiral complains enough!:) No problems with it.

I have it on my 235 ssi and I really like it. It is true you do turn it off a lot, but as a guy fireing it up in the dock or runnning it up to full throttle with the exhaust open is pretty cool. Passengers have said the same thing, its pretty cool to open it up and cruise with the exhaust on.

It is a pricey feature, and would say its one of those, if you get it you will be happy, if you don't you will be happy but probably at some point wish you got it.

If you’re going to spend a shed load of money on a new boat then why not just spend a little more and have them. If you don’t like them you can turn them off.
And It would be better to order them now than turn round in 8 months’ time saying “I wish I had”
As for the extra cost I bet it’s not that much extra in the overall scheme of things….

(I have just ordered some to retro fit in my 265ssi with a 383 Mag Stroker)

I LOVE it !!! our friend with the Crownline 270 has it - sounds awesome.

he only switches it off when coming into a marina or other highly populated dock as a courtesy...

ironically - he is selling the boat as they bought a cabin :( - maybe he'll by a Chap Bowrider for the lake ;)

4479038_20131003170056911_1_XLARGE_zps2e

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2004/Crownline-270-CR-%28Trailer-%26amp%3B-Tender%29-2652844/Maple-Ridge/Canada

wish we had it - BUT it does take up some space in the engine room ;)

If you're buying a new boat there's things you have to order: Biggest engine offered, every option offered.

If you can't afford the upgrades, you shouldn't be buying the boat.

its a fun option, but by no means should it be a deal breaker. its more of a "bragger" button than anything else. weigh the fun to have vs the cost adder.

actually for the money the better option is to have the carpet replaced w/ the cool teak or similar.

Had them on my previous 236ssx, loved the sound and always guaranteed to put a smile on your face. As others have said, not used all the time especially if skiing or boarding, and always turned them off when coming into a crowded beach or marina.

Weren't fitted to my current xtreme but I missed them that much that I've ordered a set to retrofit over winter (hope I can bring myself to cut two big holes in the side of the boat!!).

Always thought even when turned off that the boat was a little louder than others without them?, may be mine where just passing slightly!

Order them factory fit if budget allows!

Gaz

You can usually find the parts overstock. New is around not installed if you shop right. I might one day to my 215, but its gotta have a mild cam first.

For some odd reason my new alpha 4 prop makes my boat sound better exhaust wise when compared to the Michigan wheel 3 blade. Sounds deeper. Very noticeable difference

In for a penny in for a pound my man... I use mine all the time and the first thing my wife does when she takes the helm is to hit the QnQ button. I wouldn't buy a boat without it. There's something about the roar as the exhaust openings break water just before planing.

I use mine most of the time. I love it and wouldn't go without it. I'm a performance boat junkie though and the sound of a big block engine is music to my ears. About the only time I close mine is during tubing/skiing and at night. And sometimes when the Admiral complains enough! :) No problems with it.

+1

Get it! As others have said better to have it than regret it. Was on the water yesterday and as soon as my wife cranked us one time and took the helm she hit the button.

Great choice of boat IMO (probably a little biased). Be sure to get the biggest engine. Also not sure if today's 264's have onboard battery chargers as standard equipment but get it as well. We love our 264 and always get compliments.

Get the arch if not already on your list. Perfect item to let some of your passengers get out of the sun when they need it and make the boat really look great.

Rod

Meh, I'm going to be a bit of a party pooper here, but loud boats really annoy me.... I'm really not a wet blanket, honest!

Meh, I'm going to be a bit of a party pooper here, but loud boats really annoy me.... I'm really not a wet blanket, honest!

Timidly raises hand to second that emotion.

I don't mind being on them so much when loud, but when they shatter the peace of the water it is pretty aggravating.

(and the kicker is that I own an automotive performance exhaust manufacturing firm. Maybe I get my fill of loud exhausts on land and boating is my escape from that?)

I ride motorcycle and just can't stand Harleys with straight pipes - much too loud and annoying. Also illegal in many states. Harley riders claim "loud pipes save lives", which is unproven BS. Loud pipes lose rights for bikers in general to ride where they please. I think the same applies for boats. It is a mystery to me why anyone needs to call attention to themselves by making excessive noise. Peni$ envy methinks.

I am not a fan of noisy boats but I like to watch them go fast from time to time. My take on it ...

If you have noisy boat it better be able to go fast, otherwise it's an annoying pretender.

Well, though I may hardly ever use it, I decided to go forward with the addition. The dealership is offering such a good price on the boat and accessories (29% off) and the same with the exhaust. If I use it 10% of the time, that'll be a lot.

When the Admiral is on board, I'm sure it'll be off, but she's cool with me having the toys. Also, it's one of those situations where if I'm going to do it, now's the time. It's will help resale if and when the time comes.

As for being extremely loud, I understand that versions made today actually have catalytic converters in the exhaust line. They're not as loud as earlier versions.

Thanks everyone your your candid opinions!

BTW....the itch got worse.....before picking it up for delivery, the dealership is installing (2) blue transom underwater lights! :)

Well my :Twocents: I have it use it every once and a while.

But when My Mother is in the boat "ITS ON" Grandma still living her Yout'... :slap:

Well, though I may hardly ever use it, I decided to go forward with the addition. The dealership is offering such a good price on the boat and accessories (29% off) and the same with the exhaust. If I use it 10% of the time, that'll be a lot.

When the Admiral is on board, I'm sure it'll be off, but she's cool with me having the toys. Also, it's one of those situations where if I'm going to do it, now's the time. It's will help resale if and when the time comes.

As for being extremely loud, I understand that versions made today actually have catalytic converters in the exhaust line. They're not as loud as earlier versions.

Thanks everyone your your candid opinions!

BTW....the itch got worse.....before picking it up for delivery, the dealership is installing (2) blue transom underwater lights! :)

Nice, be sure to post photos of your new ride! The pre-catalytic converter boats have baffles in the pipes so it's not as loud as a high performance boat. Still sounds good though. Plus, the outlets are right at the water line so when you are at idle speed, it's pretty muffled.

I have it. I love it. I use it SELECTIVELY. That's the beauty of switchable.

For those of you who feel that the person that has it and is using it to impress others: that may well be the case for some boat owners, but I love the sound and will turn it on when cruising on remote stretches with no one to hear it but me. I bought it because I like it. Love it, actually.

Enjoy your new boat!!

Got some bad news today from Chaparral, via the dealer. They are discouraging buyers of the big blocks (which I have chosen the Mercuser), from ordering the Quick and Quiet exhaust. The engine portion is fine, the problem lies with the Corsa Exhaust. They've had big problems with the exhaust, from over heating to burning and melting hoses.

My dealer now tells me that if I want the Quick and Quiet exhaust, I'll have to go with the Volvo Penta engine.

My problem with that is that Volvo Penta now is using a 6.0 litre variable timing engine to get the 380 HP. I'm not a fan of first year experiments like that and wanted the 8.1 litre Mercuser.

I'd go with the older 8.2 litre Volvo Penta if it was available, but I'm told it's not.

Crap!!!