Sign in to follow this  
BigRiver

Quick and Quiet Exhaust.....

The 6.0 is the LS based truck engine. Yes its the steel block corvette engine. Its #$%$&$% amazing!!!! GET IT!!!

The 6.0 is the LS based truck engine. Yes its the steel block corvette engine. Its #$%$&$% amazing!!!! GET IT!!!

I've watched a few review videos on youtube, not bad, but I'm not sure now which way to go.

Got to let Chaparral know soon, the boat's in production!

I've watched a few review videos on youtube, not bad, but I'm not sure now which way to go.

Got to let Chaparral know soon, the boat's in production!

I'm all about VVT and fuel injection in a boat. About god dam time. Can't wait til we finally have DOHC engines. We'll be seeing fuel consumption in the 5-6GPH range on a 28ft boat instead of 10-12.

I'm all about VVT and fuel injection in a boat. About god dam time. Can't wait til we finally have DOHC engines. We'll be seeing fuel consumption in the 5-6GPH range on a 28ft boat instead of 10-12.

You're dreaming if you think VVT and a couple extra camshafts are gonna give you a 50% reduction in GPH fuel burn. It'll be incremental at best in a boat.

According to the GM Powertrain website the Marine 6.0 VVT engine has a cast iron block. The only steel component in that engine is the camshaft.

If it was me I'd go with the Merc big block without the Q&Q. Don't get me wrong I have it on my boat and love it but,

The BB has more torque (and that's what it's all about anyway) and is a long term proven performer. (6.0 being a relative newcomer).

Besides, would you rather be louder and slower or faster and quieter.

Going to call Corsa on Monday. Hopefully they'd have a fix by the time my boat is built, if not, one day it would certainly happen.

Still thinking of going with the 8.2 Mercruiser, can't argue with displacement.

Going to call Corsa on Monday. Hopefully they'd have a fix by the time my boat is built, if not, one day it would certainly happen.

Still thinking of going with the 8.2 Mercruiser, can't argue with displacement.

Good move. Let us know what you find out. I'm a Merc and a big block guy too!!

I'm thinking of a worst case scenario......Corsa doesn't have their act together yet, at a later date they figure out what needs to be done, I get the parts and have a local mechanic do the work. (Probably at 3 times what the factory job would have cost!)

Spoke to a tech support representative from Corsa yesterday. Yes, he told me that there was some overheating issues with their exhaust coupled with the Merc big block, such as the stainless exhaust turning colors. Said that the issue was resolved in every Chaparral boat so far....except the Sunesta 264

(the one I ordered of course!)

I explained my situation, gave him the name and number of my dealer. Was told that he'd check in with Mercury and his tech division to try and get this resolved. He called back later in the day to say that he's sent messages to all parties on his end and would let me know some answers soon.

Spoke to my dealer and gave them the scoop on my inquiries, think that they were surprised that I went directly to the source. My salesman actually said that he has many past customers with that engine and exhaust system running around his area with no complaints to date. Called me again later in the day to say that the dealership owner will call Chaparral today and try to get an answer. Said that the issue is mainly between Mercury and Corsa. (Sounds like a 3 way circle jerk to me lol!)

Anyway, my salesman said that I have an 80 percent chance that it will all work out, but no promises. My answer is either this is an option or it's not. If its not, remove it from the option list on the website and order form.

Hopefully I'll find out soon!

Got word from my salesman that all is good now, supposedly it's been approved, what ever Corsa and Mercury and Chaparral have figured out.

Just hope that someone somewhere doesn't change their minds on the decision. My build is in progress with a completion in about 4 weeks. Looking forward to getting it on the water, despite the winter!

If you're buying a new boat there's things you have to order: Biggest engine offered, every option offered.

If you can't afford the upgrades, you shouldn't be buying the boat.

I couldn't agree more!

Go big or go home.

:clapsmiley:

I couldn't agree more!

Go big or go home.

:clapsmiley:

I'm with ya on this one...Every option with the exception of the macerator on the vacu flush.

Basically it's the Elite package, which now encompasses the Convenience, Premium plus all the other smaller options, the Arch Tower, Wet Bar, 8.2 Mercruiser, Quick and Quiet Exhaust, the 70S Garmin GPS, Vacu Flush, Teak floor, Trim Tabs, Stainless Steel wind shield, Chaparral Logo on the sides.

After the dealer receives it, they're installing 2 transom underwater lights.

My marina explicitly prohibits using them. PA State low boat noise to 90 dB.

Unfortunately, some people can't read and have no respect to others.

When I see some jerk revving his engine at the dock, I start thinking about switching to sail boat.

Probably throu the hull exhaust is not a bad thing if someone use it wisely, and do not disturb others.

Huge problem is deficit of wise people...

Yes Sir...I'm of the age that I do not appreciate annoying sights or sounds. But on the other hand, I am a bit of a performance gear head type of guy.

Everything in moderation and in the right time and place. If I use the exhaust 10 to 20 percent of the time, that'd be a lot.

I was wondering this. I've heard that while the thru hull exhaust is opened and running, there is minimal performance increase. OK, I can understand that.

What about down the line, some performance parts installed, it seems the exhaust would help the engine breathe and perform better. Not that I'm considering a blower or something, but these blocks are already built as a high output design capable of 430 HP.

I was wondering this. I've heard that while the thru hull exhaust is opened and running, there is minimal performance increase. OK, I can understand that.

What about down the line, some performance parts installed, it seems the exhaust would help the engine breathe and perform better. Not that I'm considering a blower or something, but these blocks are already built as a high output design capable of 430 HP.

yes, it down the road, you wanted to add some performance upgrades, you need thru hull exhaust. Have you ever seen a "go Fast" boat without it? If you add more air and fuel to increase hp, it needs to breathe. Headers are a common upgrade and will need thru hull exhaust. Merc just released a new "520" engine based on the 8.2 liter. I don't know any details on it but it's a hopped up version of the same engine. There's a new 36' Outerlimits that is the first boat with the new 520 engines. It runs in the 90s. Then there's the 565 which is a full on Mercury Racing engine. The first boat using that was a Formula 353 last year. Lots of goodies out there these days!!:)