Sign in to follow this  
BigRiver

Volvo Penta 6.0.....

Should I or does anyone here have concerns about this engine.

I've ordered a 2014 Sunesta 264 and for the time being have gone with the Mercruser 8.1 Big Block. I also ordered the Quick and Quiet Exhaust, which is made by Corsa.

I heard from the dealer today saying that Chaparral is discouraging anyone from ordering the 8.1 and the Quick and Quiet.....but the Volvo Penta 6.0 and the Quick and Quiet exhaust works alright together.

Problem with the Mercruser is that the Corsa exhaust over heats, turns brown and melts hoses.

At this time, I still have time to change the order and go with the Volvo Penta, but I have concerns about the new 6.0 engine. It's a higher revving engine, variable timing, is lighter, which is good, but I have my reservations about this new engine. I'm sure Volvo Penta's XDP outdrives are still in everyone's memory as being a bust.

Should I stay with the heavier but dependable Mercruser or roll the dice on the new Volvo Penta 6.0 ?

Thanks for the opinions!

The 6.0 is the LS Chevy truck engine in the 2014 Silverado. The best and most dependable engine Chevy ever made. Based off the LS series engines. LS1, etc from the corvette. Crap ton better gas consumption compared to the 8.1

The Merc is actually their new 8.2, the 8.1 is no longer made by GM. I don't get why they're saying the exhaust gets too hot. Every go fast boat with the 8.2 has thru hull exhaust and many have Q&Q. Maybe related to the catalytic converter??

I just ordered my Stelth Grey 264 as well. I was going nuts for 6 months..take a look at a recent boattest.com article. They go over this same topic. 8.2's arw still made by GM. A small block runnin at higher RPM ....no thank you...and Volvo is giving incentives to dealers to push it...its so obvious. ..Never send a small block to do the job of a big block

Interesting topic, in my youth my thoughts were go big or go home but with technology I've become a fan of the high hp small blocks. NASCAR turns small blocks at 9,000 rpm and Ford is putting a high hp/torque v6 in trucks. My wife's car has a 4.6 liter engine pushing 390hp and runs like a champ, of course it's only turning 2000 rpm at 80mph. My biggest concerns are the same as BigRiver, Volvo has not proven this over time in a Marine application. I can't offer any opinion on this topic but will be following it to see what BigRiver does. A new boat is BIG BUCKS and I'd hate to get this decision wrong. Good luck my man.

Matt, thanks for the thread heads up, and thanks everyone else for the opinions.

I still have my reservations about the Volvo Penta 6.0

I'm thinking that they have the engine tweaked and maxed out to acquire the 380 HP.

Yes, the Mercruiser is heavier, but consider what can be done to the 8.2 litre with some aftermarket performance parts.

Not that I will build a 496 to this degree, but I have a friend with a 1970 Chevelle, powered with a 496. It's crazy built with a 82 cm. turbo, dyno'd over 1000HP. Does the 1/4 mile in 8.4 sec .

Anyway, I'm calling Corsa on Monday to ask about the exhaust issue.

The 6.0 isn't tweaked or maxxed out one bit. 380hp is actually detuned quite a bit. You have to realize that a standard old school 5.7 GM vortec crate engine makes 340hp. I think Merc's biggest hp 5.7 is what, 300hp? The marine industry restricts their engines so they can sell you bigger/better ones for twice as much.

The only engine that makes it's true HP rating from GM is the Volvo Penta 5.0gxi at 270hp. My Merc 5.0 making 220hp is insanely detuned with a carb the size of a 1000cc motorcycle. The 5.7 fuel injected engines should be 340hp, but they're only 300 due to the intake system.

The 6.0 vvt is 20 more HP than the truck due to lack of emissions on the intake system. It will last 20+ years

Sorry it has been a while since I have checked in here. As Toddler points out I have the new 6.0 VP set up in my 2013 Sunesta Extreme. No issues at all with it this season. VP has doubled the warranty on it. I have two pending TSB's that they notified me about by mail that I will get taken care of winterization. Having had two big block mercs in my prior boats I am very satisfied with the new motor. Fuel consumption is better but that is a seat of the pants observation. The motor spins about 1k more RPMs than than the big blocks. The motor is a lot quiter than the big blocks. I have captain's call and it sounds great as well. The hole shot is definitely quicker and very confident. If anything I feel like I am probably short a few mph on the top end but that is no big deal. The 6.0 is a 380hp and my last merc was a 425. Feel free to ping me. No regrets at all except I wish I could get a 525 in a 264. I am sure you can with enough scratch.

Not as bad here in California. All of our lakes and reservoirs are only at 50 - 60% of capacity. We had a terrible snow pack in the mountains last year. We can use a good winter blast from Nov - Feb then spring rains in March and April.

Where is the rain goddess????

Matt, thanks for the thread heads up, and thanks everyone else for the opinions.

I still have my reservations about the Volvo Penta 6.0

I'm thinking that they have the engine tweaked and maxed out to acquire the 380 HP.

Yes, the Mercruiser is heavier, but consider what can be done to the 8.2 litre with some aftermarket performance parts.

Not that I will build a 496 to this degree, but I have a friend with a 1970 Chevelle, powered with a 496. It's crazy built with a 82 cm. turbo, dyno'd over 1000HP. Does the 1/4 mile in 8.4 sec .

Anyway, I'm calling Corsa on Monday to ask about the exhaust issue

Actually Volvo has a tuned up version of the 6.0 they are going to release soon called V8 430.

The hp to weight ratio on this engine makes it really attractive. I'm a big block Merc guy but this engine is very attractive if it proves to be reliable. A 327 with twin VP 430s would be sweet!!

My salesman says that it's only available in the 284, not the 264.

Besides, I've past the cut off date for changes. I'm good with the Mercruiser 8.2

Well, history tells us when you goto resale the 8.2 will fetch better money than the 6.0 for one reason and one reason only: It has the word "big" in the name and it's numbers are higher.

'Murica!!

I picked up my 215 ssi for because it has the underpowered 220 hp 5.0 carb engine. That's fine, I saved 10k and installed AC, TV, grill, tons of accessories. Only costs around 1000 deer to bring this little baby up to 300hp. Most people forget it's just a small block chevy and you can mod it.

My salesman says that it's only available in the 284, not the 264.

Besides, I've past the cut off date for changes. I'm good with the Mercruiser 8.2

+1 You made the right choice. No substitute for cubic inches. I wouldn't own any thing but the new 8.2 Merc in a stern drive. Our 496 has been rock solid since day one. Mercury is far better performing than the small block. I have the 5.3 in my GMC and it is a great engine, but you need the torq of the big block to get the 264 moving. You will love the new 8.2.

Congrats!

:beer-7687-1:

Thanks, just wanted the biggest and most reliable engine out there. If VP still had their big block, it would have been a harder decision to make.

Well, history tells us when you goto resale the 8.2 will fetch better money than the 6.0 for one reason and one reason only: It has the word "big" in the name and it's numbers are higher.

Actually that's two reasons. A third is eloquently stated by 236SSX below.

+1 You made the right choice. No substitute for cubic inches. I wouldn't own any thing but the new 8.2 Merc in a stern drive. Our 496 has been rock solid since day one. Mercury is far better performing than the small block. I have the 5.3 in my GMC and it is a great engine, but you need the torq of the big block to get the 264 moving. You will love the new 8.2.

Congrats!

:beer-7687-1:

Sounds like someone has a serious case of engine envy. :wacko:

Actually that's two reasons. A third is eloquently stated by 236SSX below.

Sounds like someone has a serious case of engine envy. :wacko:

No engine envy here tough guy. I have a built 8.1 mag in my 236 SSX and it will smoke 90% of the boats on this forum. I just decided not brag about it, but those who have seen my posts since 2009 know my boat and know what it runs. Sound like you have engine envy. :funny-7327: