Sign in to follow this  
kamkam

1993 190slc running hot

I'm new to boating .I have a 1993 190slc with a mercruiser 4.3. I had the overheating alarm go off so I brought it in to the shop .They replaced the impeller ,t-stat,and sensors.It worked nice the first time we went out the temp stayed obout 160 but the next time we took it out the temp went up to 180-190.This does not seem right to me .Does anyone have any tips that could help me out?

Thanks

Have your exhaust manifolds been replaced? They are good for 8-10 yrs in fresh water and will eventually corrode and prohibit water flow. It's also possible you could have an obstruction somewhere in the lines. Did you run in shallow water or run aground?

Yup, 1993 boat running hot usually means time to replace the manifolds. 10 years in fresh is a stretch. My 2003 has the original and they need replacing by 2014.

Yes I did go in shallow water.Is there a test you have done to test the manifolds? Can I take the hoses off the t-housing and hook up a Garden hose and flush it out ?

okay Im going to replace the manifolds. How do I know what ones I will need and should I replace the risers too?I was looking at kits and it looks like they cost anywhere from all the way up to

Okay so I took off the risers. Well lets just say I needed new ones. My question is while changing out some fitting I see that they used red selant . Does anyone know what I should use?

Don't need or want the red sealant on the new style exhaust gaskets.

Believe you'll need a pair of 27-863724 for the risers, and a pair 27-99757 for the manifolds. a one-time gasket design.

The link below isn't for your year of engine, but probably take the same parts.

http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/mercruiser/serial/4.3L_EFI_GEN_plus_TBI_GM_262_V-6/834987+99/2692-180#860232_jump

Ahhh, yes. I believe the red sealant is a Loctite sealing material. I'll see if I can find out for you tomorrow.