George D

Floor compartment drainage issue 235ssi

19 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have a drainage problem in my 235ssi. There is a compartment in the floor between the fuel tank panel the cuddy cabin door. It's filled with water and won't drain. I wet vac'd the water out and then took the four screws out of the 3" drain cover plate to find a small 1/2 hole drilled through the floor with a drain under it.

I used a small tool to clean it out and it seems there is some sort of metal fixture under the hole, no idea if it is a metal elbow or what it is. It looks corroded. It was full of crap. I fired compressed air in there and nasty black water came bubbling up. I took a garden house and blasted water in, same thing, nasty water bubbled up. I wet vac'd it again and pulled a lot of water out, repeating over and over hoping to dislodge whatever was in there, but no dice.

I took the engine cover off, removed the eight screws holding the floor over the fuel tank and tried to see of there is a hole between the tank compartment and the front compartment but can't really see in there. It was totally dry and the bilge is dry. I went into the engine compartment and fired the hose up under the tank from the rear. Clean water just ran back.

Any idea where this tiny drain drains to? What kind of drain is it? Does it have a rubber tube or does it just dump straight down? I ran a wire in there but I don't want to puncture anything. I am considering pulling the fuel tank to get a better view but I really don't want to. Any ideas?

Thanks

if you can get your hands on a electric wire puller run it down through the hole

I used one on my 265 to unblock the crud in the hull

Harry

Mine is in storage now but isn't the drain hole on the left side towards the front for that compartment?

It is dead center in the rear part, my boat is a 2000 so it may be a little different. I am seeing little bits of foam as I poke around so I don't want to poke through the drain fitting into the hull cavity if there is no drainage there. I am just trying to avoid pulling the tank. I am just hoping that this drain dumps into the compartment where the fuel tank is but I can't tell.

Just a guess since I do not own your model ...

Each compartment and nook and cranny in a boat drains either thru dedicated thruhull or to bilge. The bilge runs along the keel the length of the boat ... including under the fuel tank ... and drains to the aft part of bilge under the engine where there is a hull drain installed on transom.

I would guess that the junk left during boat manufacturing plugged the drain. I would try to clear the passage with snake cable and see where the water goes ... thru some thruhull, or to bilge ... either case solves your problem.

Also, some thruhulls that drain from compartments with bottom close to or below water level or from livewells have a seacocks on the thruhull inside a boat. Try to see if there is any on your boat.

I will try to snake it out again. I just pulled the fuel tank back about six inches and there is no connection to that front compartment, it is sealed off. At least I don't have to worry about poking a hole in the fuel tank.

The drain must run under the fuel tank compartment but I can't see where it would come out. It seems way too low to have a throughhull drain. I will climb back in the engine compartment and see if maybe it dumps further back but I really can't see anything.

This is the compartment in the top of the pic, with the fuel tank floor removed and tank exposed.

IMAG3734_zpsc4074853.jpg

This shows the orientation of the drain hold, its dead center aft. I shined a light into the black void between the fron tof the fuel tank and the compartment divider and it is just solid clean fiberglass, no drain connector to the compartment in front of it..

IMAG3735_zps4bf2ed23.jpg

This is a close-up of the actual drain. It is metal, and has what appears to be an off-center hole. When I poke down, there is more metal, like a curved chamber.

IMAG3733_zps748472a5.jpg

Looks like you got a "friday" boat. QC isn't always perfect. The worst issues with my 2003 Chap are still better than the best build quality of a 2009 Stingray I owned.

This shows the orientation of the drain hold, its dead center aft. I shined a light into the black void between the fron tof the fuel tank and the compartment divider and it is just solid clean fiberglass, no drain connector to the compartment in front of it.

Soooo ... what is the metal you were poking? Double wall hiding it?

The four screws you took ... are they fiberglass screws or bolts that go into threaded holes?

If the later, there is a chance that there is a metal elbow with plastic seacock on the other side. The "normal" drain would be made of plastic, and no screws ... but you never know what you will find on a boat.

The screws are fiberglass screws. The metal beneath the floor is hard to describe, it almost looks like a sink drain that had half the opening covered. I was reading somewhere else that there may be a side drain in the bilge with a rubber flapper that keeps bilge water from rushing forward under deceleration. I am going to check for that tomorrow.

Ok, made some progress. The metal under the drain hole is *supposed* to be solid. The area under that hole is actually the fiberglass hull, not metal.

I checked everywhere and could not find a drain so I decided to try to move the tank some more. I got it to slide forward another few inches and lo and behold, another drain hole just like the one in front. In this pic I am standing in the front compartment with the light shining into the fuel tank compartment. You can make out the two little black holes. Those are the drains.

IMAG3749_zps8b3a0073.jpg

It was full of muck. I cleaned it out and forced the garden hose in, mucky water shot out the front compartment hole.

I vac'd it out, flushed it and vac'd it again. My guess is that there is an aluminum channel that goes from the front compartment to the rear, and when the boat goes on plane,it dumps anything in that channel into the bilge. I put the hose on the hole in the front compartment and it came out the rear, ran down under the fuel tank and into the bilge. Pretty stupid design if that is how it works.

I vac'd the front compartment hole while plugging the second hole and drew the excess water out of the hull. Now I think I need to get a hole saw and make the front hole larger so I can patch the aluminum connector.

Here is an answer from someone with very little knowledge..........would it be unreasonable or un-cool to call Chaparral and ask them?? Thats what I would probably try first, no?

Opened the hole up a bit using a small hole saw. It gave me the ability to feel out the connector. It's an aluminum channel that connects the two compartments. I need to repair where the the channel corroded and then it should be all set.

My fuel tank just sprang its second leak in two years. Both holes have corroded through the flat bottom of the tank where it appears to frequently sit in standing water trapped in the fuel tank compartment. On our boat, the low point of the tank compartment (at about the center of the compartment) is the lowest spot under the settee, so the water collects there and doesn't run out the back of the compartment and to the bilge until it gets a couple of inches deep. The collected moisture in this compartment seems to be the cause of the many corroded tanks discussed in the J-105 forums.
For the entire fuel tank compartment, the bottom of the vertical wall Landscape Drainage is fiberglassed directly to the inside of the hull and is at the same level as the cabin sole, so there’s no space to drill a hole from the compartment into the bilge under the floorboards. The only option I see for draining the compartment and keeping it dry is to drill a hole ON TOP of the sole and let any water spill out above the sole.
Is this still the method of construction for the boats (mine is year 2000, hull 305).
Has anyone come up with any mechanism to drain the water that can collect in the tank compartment?
Thanks for any wisdom! I'd love to solve this before we install our replacement tank next week!

My fuel tank just sprang its second leak in two years. Both holes have corroded through the flat bottom of the tank where it appears to frequently sit in standing water trapped in the fuel tank compartment. On our boat, the low point of the tank compartment (at about the center of the compartment) is the lowest spot under the settee, so the water collects there and doesn't run out the back of the compartment and to the bilge until it gets a couple of inches deep. The collected moisture in this compartment seems to be the cause of the many corroded tanks discussed in the J-105 forums.

For the entire fuel tank compartment, the bottom of the vertical wall Landscape Drainage is fiberglassed directly to the inside of the hull and is at the same level as the cabin sole, so there’s no space to drill a hole from the compartment into the bilge under the floorboards. The only option I see for draining the compartment and keeping it dry is to drill a hole ON TOP of the sole and let any water spill out above the sole.

Is this still the method of construction for the boats (mine is year 2000, hull 305).

Has anyone come up with any mechanism to drain the water that can collect in the tank compartment?

Thanks for any wisdom! I'd love to solve this before we install our replacement tank next week!

Just get a plastic tank and all of your issues will disappear! :beer-7687-1:

Plastic tanks also don't corrode from ethanol separating and collecting water. My tank is 20 years old and sat for 11 years with a little gas and I have no fuel leaks minus one time I topped off the tank and forgot to tighten the fuel sending unit gasket :slap: ...IMO plastic tanks are superior for fuel tanks especially in salt water boats with a bilge drainage system!

Good idea drew. I will have a check on plastic tanks in my area :)

It's a poly tank not "plastic" btw, but they are basically the same thing I guess? A boat will never drain 100% perfectly I guess.

It's a poly tank not "plastic" btw, but they are basically the same thing I guess? A boat will never drain 100% perfectly I guess.

ahaaan, got it. I got one in feb.