BigRiver

Any Louisiana Members here?

34 posts in this topic

Particularly anyone from the Lake Ponchatrain area?

I live on the northshore and have a slip at Salty's Marina in Madisonville. Just wondering if there are any other Chaparral owners around.

Walt

Yes! We just bought ours this week. Live in Covington and we boat I the tchefuncta river. Question....where do you bring your boat for repairs? Our stopped working the first day we took it out. Now I'm depressed!

I haven't received ours yet, it's on order due for delivery next month. As for marine shops to check out, I'd suggest Bent Marine or Nunmaker.

What's up with your boat? Model and year?

Welcome to the Chap family. We are more on the Lake Maurepas side- venture to LP a couple of times a year. Also one of the original forum old guys here.

Yes, In Ponchaoula here and will be keeping my Chaparral Sig 276 in the Marina by Bent Marine and Hooked Up Riverside, Not sure of the name until tomorrow. what's the rates where your at ?

I'm in a 30' covered floating slip w/ electric power from Cleco and free water from the marina. Cost is 330 deer a month.

Image13.jpg

Nice slip with a lift. Gonna have to check into that. Marina del ray is where I'm suppose to dock set up by Bent Marine but other friends are telling me you could throw a light bulb in the water there and it will light up. Bad corrosion stuff going on there from what I hear so I won't be there long if this is truly the case. I as well plan to trailer mine in the driveway here at home when I am offshore on my 6 week rotation but do want to lock something in for when I am back home for my 6 weeks off, someplace that's not going to eat my boat.

Didn't want to say anything that I didn't know for sure, but you're the second person to report about bad electrolysis issues at Marina Del Ray. A friend of mine had to replace an entire lower unit due to his boat sitting in the water there. Besides that, I believe that most of the slips are not covered.

At Salty's, there are covered non floating slips available as well for a lesser charge. They're rented out on a monthly basis, mostly for summer only clients.

Yes! We just bought ours this week. Live in Covington and we boat I the tchefuncta river. Question....where do you bring your boat for repairs? Our stopped working the first day we took it out. Now I'm depressed!

I know this post is late but passing on info from a friend that works at Hammond Harley Davidson, He use to work at Bent Marine and told me this.....Darren White, the "mercruiser whisperer"

He as well works at Bent Marine in Madisonville, as I was told yesterday. Just passing on the info...

I was given a name and number of a qualified mechanic that works out of his truck…makes home driveway service at your location.

Daryl @ Redline Marine

225-454-0837

The owner's name at Salty's is David. His cell # is 985-845-8485 Super nice guy to work with.

Tell him that Walt @ G-4 referred you to him.

Offshoretechman……were you out on the Tchefuncta River today? Saw a couple in a Chap that made me think of you, getting fuel at Marina Del Ray and then running south to the lake. I was not far behind them. Saw them again later as I was going to my slip.

I was on my boat today at Del ray but in a slip on the river right by the pool. Hoping the weather will be good on Saturday for a run before trailering it to my driveway for when I go back offshore to work.20140301_182638581_iOS.jpg

Gotcha..must have been someone else that I saw. I'll look for ya on Sat. if I can get out. Weather is supposed to be decent, rain during the night and clearing later.

Another Chap in Mandeville. I have a 2004 230 SSi and we trailer to the Lake and the river almost every weekend.

Thanks Offshore. Our first boat and we love the Chap. Already have the new Chap itis. Those new boats look great.

My 276 is my 1st. Message when you hit the river again. I stay docked at Marina Del Ray when I am in from offshore. Running down there today to clear a piece of impellor veign from my water intake on the generator, new impellors arrive tomorrow and hope for lil to no rain sunday....

Welcome to the Chap family- as an ol timer I will assure you not only will you be glad you purchased a Chap but you will find the forum to be a place of great information and interaction.

As to us LA folks- well water runs in our veins . I grew up on the river and the lakes- Last weekend we took a quick trip across Maurpas into LP - stopped ate at Machac- great day

I encourage you to boat down to Manchac- eat at Middendorfs- or a burger at the Fuel stop or venture into Lake Maurepas and travel to the rivers- Blind RIver/Diversion Canal/ Amite RIvers- lots of places to eat- watering holes or back around to Tickfaw - Prop Stop close to the lake

Have fun, be safe and enjoy the summer

Would enjoy traveling to other destinations from Lake Pontchatrain. I know my way to Middendorf's but have never been to the Prop Stop or the Fuel Stop.

Any source to find navigation to these places?

from middendorfs- head west and enter LM then North west to Tickfaw River

or South west to Blind River

THis is what you need http://www.riverratrob.com/

Rob is the map guru - check out the maps and the online store. Like Rob on his Facebook and learn what goes on on the other side of Lake P.