OldChap

Fuel pump noise - Volvo 5.0 GXi

I've heard and read a number of different opinions on the subject and thought I would ask those of you who have a 5.0 GXi motor.. How loud is your fuel pump?

My engine/fuel pump has a very loud high pitched whine.. some folks who have been on my boat tell me thats normal for an electrical pump vs. mechanical. I personally think it is extreme. I have read that potentially a water line may be clogged causing the pump to run hot.. or a filter may be clogged causing the high pitched sound. I haven't noticed the pump running hot and it appears the noise starts immediately upon engine start...

It's not barely audible - it's very noticeable even when cruising at 25 mph.. thoughts?

Thanks,

Rob

I HAD it. Not normal. Whining due to partial clog. Get out your wallet. It's going to hurt. New fuel pump/fuel cell. likely paint flaking due to ethanol..I think the reapir was over a grand.

I won't be worried until its at the bottom of the ocean.. I've spent more money on my motorcycle than I have on my house! The boat is just another expensive hobby (he says now...)

I have read that the pump is serviceable.. The filters can be cleaned, etc. Plus the pump itself is only .

Sand Man - I'm guessing you didn't/couldn't service it and had it replaced by your dealer?

High pitch whine from the fuel pump means it's clogged with paint flecks that have fallen off. Take it off and clean it out or you'll burn it out and it costs around $700 to replace.

Like Old Chap says, toys are expensive, and a lot of the reasons are because parts are none serviceable, or you need a computer to diagnose the problem, it cannot fix the problem, only get you into the area where the problem is. And then the guessing game begins, because everything puts a demand on something else. Unless someone has had the same problem as you. I checked on iboat, and everyone that has posted says it is paint. So my question, if this is an on going issue, there should be some sort of restitution from the manufacture, this goes beyond normal warranty they had to know about it. Your problem today is you have no alternatives, you have to put the same thing back on, and I'm sure they have solved the issue with the replacement pump. I had an issue with my fuel pump on my 1985 350/260 Merc Cruiser, so I by passed it and add an inline electric fuel pump, for $130.00, my boat is from a simpler time. Give them a call, all they can say is no. Remember you can get more with sugar than vinegar. Good luck, Denny

Definitely not normal. You should barely be able to hear the fuel pump whine at idle, let alone 25mph. Most likely culprit is clogged filter. Change it out. If it's still noisy it could be a partially plugged pump. It may go away on it's own or it may cause the demise of your pump, which is an expensive replacement (as others have said).

Good luck!

The part was about plus the labor. In theory you could take it apart and use a wire wheel to remove the remaining paint. This was mid summer and i wanted to boat the next weekend. Dealer was way more than the local mechanic. You can get the part for on ebay if you are doing it yourself.

I HAD it. Not normal. Whining due to partial clog. Get out your wallet. It's going to hurt. New fuel pump/fuel cell. likely paint flaking due to ethanol..I think the reapir was over a grand.

This.

Forget the cleaning, time for replacement.

for those that have serviced the fuel pumps to clean the filters is there a DIY or step by step? The Volvo manual states the pump is non-serviceable so no info in there on it... I am hoping to tackle this weekend.. Thanks.

btw- my engine has 104 hours on it. I can't imagine the pumps are near their end of life this soon. I gotta think a good cleaning and we should have a number of hours left on the clock??

well without knowing exactly what I was doing I went ahead and took the fuel pump assembly off the boat this weekend and disasembled. After taking off the torx screws it still was held together pretty tight.. It took a while but finally got it apart.. To my surprise the screens in both pumps were not that bad off.. They each had several black paint flecks but nothing close to clogging or even reducing the fuel flow in my opinion. I sprayed some carb cleaner on the screens and cleaned all the contact surfaces thoroughly and reasembled. I put it back on the boat, put the hose on and cranked her up... for the first minute or so the pump was completely silent.. for a moment I thought success!! but after a minute or so at idle she started to whine away again.. at this point not sure what is up with this noise.. from idle to WOT the boat runs perfect otherwise.

Regardless I do find it hard to believe Volvo/Carter paints the inside of a fuel pump.. Who Does That! You can see inside where pieces had already come off and from that point the paint flake will only get worse.

Does anyone know if Volvo had addressed this issue with a revised pump sans the inside paint?

Yes, new pumps have been released, but it does not help the millions of people with painted pumps. And those "painter's" WILL fail in time.

Has anyone changed their filter screen on the fuel pressure regulator? I just read VP bulletin P-23-7 which pertains to 5.0 and 5.7 EFI engines... It states "Testing has determined that the fuel screen on the Fuel Pressure Regulator can cause a restriction of the fuel return line. Restricting the return line raises fuel pressure, which can degrade engine performance. The screen has been removed in production, and replaced with an e-clip, beginning in 2010".

Since my fuel pump screens on both the low and high pressure pumps were fairly clean I suspect the pressure regulator screen is where the restriction is. I'm hopeful my local VP dealer has this e-clip in stock..

well the journey continues.. I folllowed the instructions on P23-7 and replaced the fuel screen on the pressure regulator with the eclip.. That fuel screen is a fine mesh screen finer than the fuel pump screens.. had some flakes in it.. put it back together and fired her up... I can still hear the fuel pump as clear as day whinning away.. Not sure where to go from here...

Any fuel pump guru's in the house? Would a water obstruction cause the high pitch sound?

I have a similar problem on one of my engines. I've been researching and one post indicated if the low pressure pump fails it causes the high pressure pump to cavitate, which is what's causing the whine. I still need to do your "check for paint fleck" test on mine and haven't yet found if I can replace the low pressure pump as an alternative to replacing the entire module...but another thought you might look at...

Good luck

Ben

Volvo Penta is putting the blame on the ethanol content of the fuel; hence, putting the blame elsewhere. From my conversation with a customer relations 'supervisor', who seemed way too knowledgeable on how to deal with this issue and say the right things, Volvo Penta is still using the paint to coat the inside the fuel pumps. This gentlemen gave me a lesson on what happens to fuel after it sits a while, etc, etc...basically the whole run around on how Volvo Penta is not at fault for this "ethanol" issue. I was offered zero resolution and told I was on my own for the cost of a new pump. If other's have a different outcome, consider yourself lucky!

I'm not aware of any automotive based fuel pumps that are painted inside. There's no need, other than planned obsolescence