Moorish-Idol

New boat, Which GPS?

I am in the process of ordering my first Chaparral boat. 2014 model 216 with Volvo. I am really excited and want to make sure I get all the options right. I would appreciate any help. Which Garmin GPS should I choose. The gps features I am most interested in are, inland lakes, water depth and some basic engine functions. I don't need sonar or fish finder. I am considering the 531, but don't know if this is the best choice. Any Input would be appreciated. Thanks.

ask your dealer, also get the fishfinder with a thru hull transducer installed, you will thank me when your in shallow water,

to find depth, you need sonar (transducer) so get the fish finder feature, its fun to play with and the kids enjoy it. I recommend getting a model w/ the largest screen your dash can hold and get the touch screen. if you are ordering it, get a thru hull transducer and not a stern mount. buy a solid transducer that has a tilt to match your hull angle and have it capable of depth, temp. Also, you will need a sounder a GSD-22 or similar will work well. you will probably look at a GPS 740 garmin model whichever you choose for inland lakes get the g2 maps sd card

I ordered the 541 with the 287 and was surprised that depth was not functional on the gps. The transducer chap installs is for the multi function gauge. I had to add a second transducer to get depth / sonar. I really like having the depth in front of me at all times while using the multi function to display engine information. I still do not get any engine information. I am being told I need a cable from chap and another for the network to make this work.

Bottom line if you want depth and or engine information on the gps, make sure chap will do it. If not, price it out with you dealer for them to do the work.

For the 327 I'm going with Delancy's set up, dealer installed. (wish I saw his post before I all did the research)

I have a Sunesta 264 on order. The option order page listed the Garmin 720S as an option, but my after my salesman researched the possibilities, he's suggested the Garmin 70S. It's a new model that has coastal data and should suit me better.

I'll have to check in with him to ask about the engine data and depth sounder data.

Your chart plotter will see any info that is supported. Don't expect the unit to see anything without a transmitter. If you want engine data you will need a transmitter and receiver to see that. Depth and temp all come from a transducer and sounder combo which are Add ons and u will find that your costs will jump up. Thy gps will see fuel as well but you need a cable combo for that as well. Sky's the limit but more realistically your wallet is the limit. Buy a system that allows for plug and play expansion as you go, ie multiple ports that support the nema cables.

Get the Merc instead of the Vlvo.

Congrats!

Why do you say this? Personal Preference or have you had a bad experience. What specifically will I notice. Maintenance? Performance? Reliability?

Thanks for any input.

Why do you say this? Personal Preference or have you had a bad experience. What specifically will I notice. Maintenance? Performance? Reliability?

Thanks for any input.

Thanks for your reply. It's all of the above. I don't want to get bashed by half the people on this forum, but I'm a Merc guy and in my personal opinion they build a better outdrive and overall more reliable power package than the Vvo. It is more profitable for a dealer to sell a vlvo than a merc. That is why they prefer to sell that brand vs. merc. The merc camshaft and ECU are different, and if you are performance minded, get the merc. Some say the vvo is easier to work on, and that may be true, but I would never own a vlvo. Regardless, your getting a great boat.

Take care

Your chart plotter will see any info that is supported. Don't expect the unit to see anything without a transmitter. If you want engine data you will need a transmitter and receiver to see that. Depth and temp all come from a transducer and sounder combo which are Add ons and u will find that your costs will jump up. Thy gps will see fuel as well but you need a cable combo for that as well. Sky's the limit but more realistically your wallet is the limit. Buy a system that allows for plug and play expansion as you go, ie multiple ports that support the nema cables.

What do you mean by " Don't expect the unit to see anything without a transmitter. If you want engine data you will need a transmitter and receiver to see that." The engine could be NMEA2k, so only a T and drop cable would be needed and the date would be displayed on the GPS.

Fuel flow sensors are nice and easy to install. So far they have saved me a ton of money.

I mean don't expect the chart plotter to give you data without purchasing accessories. Buying a $2k chart plotter out of the box will only give you your gps position,

The GPS is the receiver. So all you need is, NMEA2k sensors. As in fuel flow sensors as I mentioned.

Iggy,

I agree, my choice of words were wrong, as the question was phrased as a newbie I was trying to illustrate that his expectations would probably not be met without add'l purchases. if his new boat has the smart gauge it will already have fuel flow data available to him just not on his garmin, although the garmin sensors may have a few more options. I can tell you from my own experience the $3k garmin was only about 1/2 of total I had to spend to get the maps, depth, fish finder, connection to vhf radio and a good antenna and installation fees. I do not have the weather or radar that would have taken me north of 10 large and no way could I justify that.

I try to do my own work, Installing a system is not that hard once you read up on it . I have everything on a NMEA 2k network, which is a lot better than the old 0183 network. Garmin 740 & 740S, AIS, VHF, electronic compass, 2 fuel sensors, and the Fusion head with remotes. The 2k network makes it so easy!! The radar is ethernet, which goes right to the 740.

I have a Sunesta 264 on order. The option order page listed the Garmin 720S as an option, but my after my salesman researched the possibilities, he's suggested the Garmin 70S. It's a new model that has coastal data and should suit me better.

I'll have to check in with him to ask about the engine data and depth sounder data.

Did they change the size of the dash for the GPS unit in 2014? I believe the 5xx models were the the only options to flush mount correctly in the space provided on the 264.

I just upgraded last fall the original, I believe, older 521 to the newer 541S because I wanted the sonar features, as well the as the much better resolution and speed of the 541S. Its been a great upgrade and it slipped in to place with no issues. Just had to add a transducer for the Garmin.

Good thing is I get depth from two sources now. Never a bad thing when you lake goes up and down +/-50 feet a year :)

dsmacey, yes, Chaparral is now installing the 720S series units in the 264's. The 720S is a few years old, so my salesman recommended and I agreed to having the 70S which is a few months old, installed in my boat under production.

I'm told by Garmin that the 70S has a faster processor but is basically the same as the 720S.

The dash configuration is different on the 2014's which now allows the 7" screen. You can see a few pic's of the 2014's on boat trader...check em' out.

Did they change the size of the dash for the GPS unit in 2014? I believe the 5xx models were the the only options to flush mount correctly in the space provided on the 264.

I just upgraded last fall the original, I believe, older 521 to the newer 541S because I wanted the sonar features, as well the as the much better resolution and speed of the 541S. Its been a great upgrade and it slipped in to place with no issues. Just had to add a transducer for the Garmin.

Good thing is I get depth from two sources now. Never a bad thing when you lake goes up and down +/-50 feet a year :)

I was told by the West Marine salesman that if I hooked up the depth sounder function on the 720s that I would have to disable the sounder that came with the boat, can't use both, they will cancel each other out?? Is that right?? If two transducers can be used does it make sense to purchase a second for the 720? We won't be using the boat for fishing

I was told by the West Marine salesman that if I hooked up the depth sounder function on the 720s that I would have to disable the sounder that came with the boat, can't use both, they will cancel each other out?? Is that right?? If two transducers can be used does it make sense to purchase a second for the 720? We won't be using the boat for fishing

Only time I ever had any trouble running 2 was in a lock, other than that no problems,

I've installed several of the tilted 20 degree thru-hull Garmin transducers for the 5xxs and 720s/740s models, and had no interference with either the factory MerCruiser supplied or Faria supplied thru-hull transducers. The transducers were located on opposite sides of the keel, but close to being directly across from each other.

A person could get a 541s without a transducer to help offset the cost difference. A lot easier and cheaper to get an 's' version Garmin unit that is capable of having a tranducer hooked up. One would need to network a non-s version to allow it to read depth from a transducer after the fact: $$$

Glad Chap changed the dash for the 264 Sunesta.

I really like the ride and performance of the 216 SSi WT. I'm a Merc guy too, but both companies are good. HIGHLY recommend getting the 350 Mag MPI Bravo 3, or V8-300 DP if you want Volvo. The arch too if you can possibly swing it. If Volvo is what your local dealer or servicing marina specializes in, than get the Volvo for sure.

Be a sport and see if a Garmin 547xs will fit in the dash space...