CHAPPYPETE

Finally moved over to the Dark Side byebye crownie, Hello Chappy!!!

Hi guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I boat out of Manahawkin, NJ Barnegat Bay Area and this is my second boat. First boat was a 21ft Crownline cuddy with 5.0merc that gave my wife and I 5 years of fun filled summers. Finally decided to sell the crownie towards the end of the summer and upgrade to a larger used BR model but wasn't sure which manufacture to choose. I narrowed the list down to a large Crownie 320LS, Chaparral 276ssx, Monterey 298SS, and the Baja Islander. The reason was more due to the layout of these models as they are all similiar, with the exception of the Baja. I spent a considerable amount of time researching all these models as well as others and all I can say is thank god its over. I have to say that I have been spying on you guys and reading what you were posting about the 276ssx for a while now and I was quite suprised on the feedback you all gave and info that was provided. Everyone seems super nice and very helpfull and I'm glad to become part of the Chaparral family. Anyway, I decided on a Red 2007 chap 276 SSX with Merc 496HO Bravo 3 X with 2007 triple axle trailer. It seems to be fully loaded with the exception of the fridge, but has the windlass system which is a nice add on. I had the boat surveyed and there are a few things to be done. It wasn't that well cared for, but most is cosmetic. I'm pulling out the motor to give it once over and replace the manifolds and risers as they are original (290hrs on motor), clean out the bilge and address one cylinder. After having compression check done before purchasing boat and negotiating the sale, I found that one cylinder had only 90lbs while the other 7 cylinders have

155+/-lbs. We'll see what it is once we pull the motor out next week. Hope its only the valve or valve spring and not piston. Fingers crossed. I have a laundry list of things to do with this boat, but overall I am super happy with our purchase. Here are a few pictures of us taking the boat out for our trailer ride back home. Sorry about the angle of pics.

post-37703-0-95230400-1385164161_thumb.j

post-37703-0-58886000-1385164173_thumb.j

post-37703-0-23061600-1385164228_thumb.j

Thanks guys. Well, pulled the motor out last week to address the once cylinder and give the motor a once over. I sent the header out to be serviced as the port side exhaust was leaking and gummed up one of my valves (the one that read 90lbs). I am replacing the following with new... Manifolds, risers & elbows, plugs, starter, hoses and any electrical that looks bad. Any other suggestions? While the motor was out, I cleaned the s^ out of the bilge and tried to get it back to new. Here are a few picture of my progress. Still lots to do, but what better time then winter. :)

http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/unclepete7/slideshow/

Looks like you're going to know this boat very intimately by the time she's over hauled and ready for the water.

Welcome to the forum and look forward to seeing the end result!

Update... Motor is ready to be put back in, but couldn't decide if she needed a wet sand and re waxing or just have her repainted.... so after sanding down a piece of the hull, I decided to have her re-painted. What a fiasco that was. Long story short, the Arch was removed then taken to my buddy's autobody shop and sanded down and repainted. I planned on bringing arch to boat about an hour away so I wrapped the arch up tight so it wouldn't get damaged during shipping. Well, decided to bring boat to shop for re-painting the hull and was planning on installing Arch at shop. Just last week, when we removed the wrapping on the arch for install, we noticed that apparently the paint wasnt fully dry....Ugggh No worries by buddy says, we'll just sand it down and repaint it and you can bring the boat back in when its done. Great....Then 10" of snow just fell a few days ago and 6" more inches fell today. Needless to say, i'm shoveling snow off my mooring cover so it doesnt colapse because I had to store the boat outdoors waiting for the Arch to be repainted. LOL Why do I live in the North East again??? Here are a few pictures I took during this whole process

image_zpsed12534a.jpgimage_zps4792e435.jpgimage_zps724e6eae.jpg

Looking good. You should have it all back together when the snow melts.

Its getting there, I guess I should be happy that I'm doing this work while there's 12" of snow on the ground and not 90degrees and sunny out. :)

Nice job on all the work you've done. Your lucky you are able to do all that work yourself versus going to a dealer or a shop. Helped save you lot's of dough. Can't wait to see some pics of you using the boat this Spring / Summer.

You could order some new lettering for the side from Joe.

Thanks all. Yeah, can't wait to get her in the water this spring. Counting the days. I already got my new lettering and decal's to replace the ones i took off. I also replaced the stock stereo plate in the stern with the chrome one. I have my new snap in carpet (red) coming in next week or so, I also ordered the seadek (faux teak) swim platform pad that should be any day now. I have to give a shout out to Cecel marine for having the replacement parts that i needed. (logos, plates, dock lights, ect...) They are a pleasure to work with and a great deal of help. I'm not sure what i want to do with the trailer. Its just painted steel so I will probably repaint it over the summer, but I'm sure the rust will come back over time. I'll try and rinse the best i can after dropping and pulling her out of the water twice a year. I saved the old lettering from the boat hull, so maybe I'll put em on the trailer somewhere :)

I'm putting the Arch on today so I'll snap a few pictures and post em on here.

Manahawkin ??

I was a kid at Beach Haven Crest ? 4 blocks south of the Long Beach Police Department........

1950's. Loved the Garvy & Jersey Skiff races. Bay covered with white sailboats. Great times. :)

Rich

Yep they still do those races every summer. Definately a good time.

Well, got the arch repainted and installed back on the boat. Was planning on trailiering the boat back down to south Jersey, but it turns out one of my trailer bearings was shot and wouldn't have made the trip. I was able to find someone local and had them replace all 6 bearings on the trailer just to be safe. I would have loved to have done it myself, but I was in a jam and didn't have time with the upcomming snow storm today. By 630 last nite, the guy was grinding one of the seals that was fused to the shaft. Finally he finished and a buddy of mine who manages a building supply center offered to store the boat inside and wait out the storm before trailing back south. What a score!!! 15" of snow falling on the ground and she;s sitting in a nice heated garage. :)

Here's a few pics of my last 48 hours.

CellPhoneDownload6-28-13073_zpsdf797fb3.CellPhoneDownload6-28-13079_zps5bdfe76f.CellPhoneDownload6-28-13081_zpsfb5f060c.