CHAPPYPETE

Finally moved over to the Dark Side byebye crownie, Hello Chappy!!!

Love the red color. And really like the helm set-up with the walnut steering wheel and dashboard. The 3-tone upholstery with the bit of red in it is also pretty sweet.

I have a question on the hull paint - is it a gel-coat paint, or a marine paint?

Great winter-time project and hopefully she's running good with the new motor and all the hard effort put into it. She certainly looks awesome. Well done.

Gorgeous swim platform finish ... great job.

I always wondered how well the padding adheres to the non-skid diamond pattern?

Does the water and moisture penetrate under the pad through the valleys in the pattern?

Richard - I put HydroTurf on my last boat and had the dealer tech put the Chap factory mat on my current one. Both boats had the checkered non-skid on the platform. I chose the HydroTurf with adhesive pre-applied to the back so it was a peel-and-stick job. Not sure if the Chap factory mat was peel-and-stick or if they had to apply adhesive manually.

My DIY job was still holding fast when I sold it 4 years after I put it on. Other than a fuel over-fill spill that loosened the adhesive some (it rebonded by itself), so far the mat is holding fine on my 246 as well.

Thanks guys. Yeah, very happy with the overall outcome. The seadek was a perfect addition to what I was looking for. Very easy install and took my time laying it out. It adheres to the swim platform nicely. Need to be careful laying it down as you don't get a second chance. The hull was repainted using Spectrum paint from a buddy of mine who owns a Maaco dealership, after sanding, priming and repainting, he then put 3 coats of clearcoat on her. He tells me I'll get many years out of the paint job as long as I keep her waxed every year. All I'm told to use is turtle wax, same stuff you would use on your car.

All in all I love it, but she drinks gas like its going out of style. 496HO Next plan is to pull her out again and have props cupped as she's hittinng 5200RPMS at WOThrottle. I have 26pitch props on bravo three X drive. I'm only hitting 46-47 on GPS. Should be a bit more with my set up.

The hull was repainted using Spectrum paint from a buddy of mine who owns a Maaco dealership, after sanding, priming and repainting, he then put 3 coats of clearcoat on her. He tells me I'll get many years out of the paint job as long as I keep her waxed every year. All I'm told to use is turtle wax, same stuff you would use on your car.

All in all I love it, but she drinks gas like its going out of style. 496HO Next plan is to pull her out again and have props cupped as she's hittinng 5200RPMS at WOThrottle. I have 26pitch props on bravo three X drive. I'm only hitting 46-47 on GPS. Should be a bit more with my set up.

Ah, Spectrum paint makes a high quality gelcoat paint which I'm guessing is what your buddy used. I didn't know that you have to add a clearcoat on top of that type of paint, though. Now I know.

The "Roulette Red" color of these Chaparrals is outstanding and that's the color I was looking for when shopping for a 276 also. Couldn't find a used one in that color with relatively low engine hours so had to settle for black. Not disappointed, believe me! :D They are beautiful boats no matter what color and a pretty good size boat as I'm discovering with every outing!

Congrats, and enjoy. Only 1-1/2 good months left for us in the NE. On your motor, I'm guessing you should be getting somewhere in the vicinity of 52mph +/- at WO throttle? Also, how accurate is the GPS reading? I was told it's not exact and could be off by as much as 4-5mph. Not sure of the validity of that information, though. Is your speedometer not working? Mine was until I took the boat to the dealer to repair the trim gauge which wasn't working but speedometer was. Now it's the other way around! lol.

Thanks guys. Yeah I've been searching for a while for exactly what I wanted. The clear coat was recommended by my buddy.. I can't argue w him as it's his business and I sure hope he knows what' he's talkn about. Lol. Yes, the speedo works but that shows 60. LOL. GPS show around 47-49. I just pulled the boat out of the water to install a transducer so I will probably have the props cupped a bit to get a little more top end. All in all, I love everything about the 276. It just would be nice to get her in the 60's without putting in a larger motor. I'll keep playn those scratch offs, and who knows. Lol.

Yeah, that red is very nice. That's the only regret (and minor one at beast) that I have. Other than that, it is a great boat! Where we are, I hardly see any Chaps and it gets a few stares and comments quite frequently.

So that Merc should give you somewhere in the vicinity of 60-something?! Holy cow! I'm pretty sure the Volvo Penta in mine will top out around 55, at the most, I think. Haven't tried it yet but will this week.

Post some more pics if you get a chance, would love to see more of that red beauty. :)

I'll def post some pics when I actually take them. Lol. I haven't taken any pics since boats been in water. I just pulled it out today to install my transducer and noticed I have 24 out props standard 3blade 3 blade. I'm debating going to a 26 pitch 3x3 or maybe an XR. 4x3. Not sure yet. Still researching.

Well, summer has come to an end here in NJ, I'm hoping to get a few more weekends out of here, but 70hours in 3 months suggests she had a good run for summer 2014!! Counting the days to next summer. CellPhoneDownload7-24-2014160_zps9360454CellPhoneDownload7-24-2014159_zps367b097CellPhoneDownload7-24-2014158_zps3bb914fCellPhoneDownload7-24-2014154_zpsdd94379CellPhoneDownload7-24-2014155_zps0cb9080

Very nice. All that hard work paid off in the end.

Did the original lettering on the side of the 2007 come with a pair of the hawk emblems at the two ends of the 'Chaparral' lettering or did you add that on your own? I only ask because my 2010 267ssx only has the one at the beginning and that's it. Just curious.

Thanks man, yeah it was, but well worth the effort.

I had the hull repainted so I had to order new lettering and decided that I wanted 2 of the hawk emblems instead of just the one.

Yeah, I like it.

Interesting, I'm looking at all the pics and from outside to inside there's hardly any difference at all between mine and yours. The only exception being the helm is just designed a little differently and your steering wheel is also different but everything else is exactly the same. Chaparral didn't change much to that great design they had going there for quite a few years.

That's a big VHF antenna you got there. And what's that squarish box on top of the arch, radar or spotlight?

They really didn't need to change much. The layout is perfect in my opinion. I installed a spot light on the arch over the summer. I do a lot of night driving and I was getting tired of using a hand held spotlight. The new light works awesome. Definately worth the $ spent. As far as my VHF antenna... I really don't know why I even have it but I guess it good to have in case of an emergency. Although, there is something wrong with it. When I tested it out, people could hear me talking, but I couldn't hear them. The squeltch works, so i know the speakers work, but for some reason I can't hear anyone talking, doesnt matter what channel I'm on. Oh well, I'll figure it out over the winter.

So Pete, did your model & year 276 come with that "Lewmar?" windlass anchor or did you have that installed? I ask because I'm interested in installing a windlass and especially one that sits on top like that, but I have the bow ladder/anchor storage locker and an over the top windlass is probably not going to work with the locker door set-up I have. So trying to see if someone has that same set-up but came up with an idea to make it work.

Here's the door on mine and you can kinda see why it'll be tough to make that work, even losing the bow ladder might not necessarily help.

IMG_1912_zps4646ac14.jpg

IMG_1914_zps0d1257fb.jpg

So Pete, did your model & year 276 come with that "Lewmar?" windlass anchor or did you have that installed? I ask because I'm interested in installing a windlass and especially one that sits on top like that, but I have the bow ladder/anchor storage locker and an over the top windlass is probably not going to work with the locker door set-up I have. So trying to see if someone has that same set-up but came up with an idea to make it work.

Here's the door on mine and you can kinda see why it'll be tough to make that work, even losing the bow ladder might not necessarily help.

IMG_1912_zps4646ac14.jpg

IMG_1914_zps0d1257fb.jpg

What's stitched onto your bow seat backs, Hatem? Looks like H's.

What's stitched onto your bow seat backs, Hatem? Looks like H's.

Wouldn't that be fun! Chaparral knew I'd end up with this boat and had my first initial stitched on for me! :D

I believe it's the Chaparral Hawk/SSX emblem?

IMG_2183_zps78cae191.jpg

It's also on the sides of the boat, too. Pretty cool looking and sort of coincides with my WS-6. It actually fits the TA better than the boat lol. But hey, that reminds me, the Hurst short-throw shifter on the car does have an H right on the top of the leather knob! :D

IMG_2182_zps194f19e1.jpg

Hatem,

The Lewmar windless was installed by the previous owner. I did open it up and its the exact same layout as yours except they removed the bow ladder to make room for the anchor chain and rope. I wish I would have taken a few pictures when I had it apart over the summer. (Had to tighten some of the mounts that were bolted thru) I'll try and take a few pictures and post them for you. The windless makes achoring so much easier on the wife and I and definately recommend it.

Pete, that is absolutely fantastic! Thank you so much for all that. It's exactly what I needed to see. Never thought of screwing down the latch to keep it from opening lol, duh, of course! Brilliant!

Thanks again!

Hey, you mind if I post that on the cool mods thread?

Hatem,

I noticed on a few of your older posts that you have a battery charger. Can you tell me a little about what you have and where you positioned it. Did you put in yourself or did it come with it? Also, do you have an inverter in the boat as well? I have neither and looking for a small winter project. Thanks pal.

Pete

Hey Pete,

that battery charger came with the boat. Not sure if previous owner installed it which I don't believe she did TBH but you never know and it's positioned in the trash bin/storage cabinet to the right of the refrigerator in that cockpit sink counter thingamajig. I believe it's only connected to the batteries to charge them off of a 110 line and that's it. Not aware of any inverter and I certainly haven't put one in yet. I really am sorry, my laptop suddenly decided to upgrade to Windows 8.1 without asking me (imagine that SOB?! Nerve on that thing!) and I've lost all my abilities to copy paste on this forum as well as quote people's quotes. So I can't post any pics because the image icon box will accept the copy paste of the jpeg link but won't ok it's posting. I tried all day today to change the security settings which came with the upgrade and checked my javascript for any changes and nothing! Very frustrated because I'd love to show you pics of it and anything else but can't do it. Going to see Geek Squad tomorrow and they'll straighten it out and once I'm back in action I'll post the pics for you, promise.

I'm gonna be doing all sort of things, too, so stay in touch and keep updating over this sucky winter that's coming. I'm definitely going to upgrade the crappy GPSA 531s that came with the boat and add a Garmin radome for radar and a 2nd transducer for sonar & fish-finder, probably a TV but going to try to hook it up via WiFi instead of an antenna so that we can use the TV monitor for internet applications also like Navionics App and whatever else pops up...oh yeah, keep the Red Sox games on too maybe lol. What else....Oh, yeah, quite possibly a windlass like yours (love that!) and a few other little things here and there.

Finally able to reset my settings and get copy/pasting back. Anyway, this is about all the info I have at the moment, Pete. This is the charger in the trash bin cabinet to the left of the fridge in the wetbar and I guess you can plug in a 110 extension chord into it to charge up your batteries but that's about it. Once I get my stuff set-up and figure out what I'll be adding (I was thinking of shore power and might still do that) I'll keep you posted. Sorry it's not much more than this.

IMG_1951_zps576dacf2.jpg

The 110 plug-in line is behind the screw plate which holds the cooler next to the battery. It's about as simple of a setup as an be. Trick is to make some good use out of it.

IMG_1949_zps7138437f.jpg