CHAPPYPETE

Finally moved over to the Dark Side byebye crownie, Hello Chappy!!!

Thanks for the pic's and glad you were able to fix your upgrade. I had to do the same thing a few months ago. PITA!! Anyway, that seems to be a good place to install the charger. I'll do some digging and find the best charger to install. There seems to be a ton out there and I'm not as familiar with electrical as I am with motors. Question I have is why put in that charger when you can use a trickle charger to boost up your batters if needed. Does that charger hold a charge and then charge the batteries when needed? I see the plug in for the 110, so I am guessing you have to run an extension cord to plug in. I'm guessing thats where the inverter comes in. Once an inverter is installed, you then can use shore power to run lights, fridge ect... and you also have 110 plug in's on the boat for what ever you want to plug in when at sea. correct?

TBH with you, I'm not that that familiar with them either, Pete. I do know that depending on how many battery banks you have, that will determine what size charger you need as in a 2-bank charger or a 3-bank etc. But some chargers that are rated for 3-banks, you could actually charge up to 6 batteries on it if you piggy-back/jump (correctly) the batteries in pairs. So you basically have 3 banks of 2 batteries each.

I don't believe this type of charger holds power and feeds your battery if it senses it's dying or losing power. I think you have to actually it in on the dock to get a charge. Maybe someone who's more familiar with them can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that's the case.

As far as the inverter is concerned, yes that's correct. I will be adding an inverter and use shore power that way which is what the service manager at the dealer told me was really the easiest way to do it instead of installing a full, shore power setup with the outlets cut into the gunnel or wherever and the added expense of that installation. Then you can run the fridge and tv or whatever off of that. But it would be a bit more convenient to have the proper shore-power set-up. Either way, still have to figure out all this stuff myself! :)

Not sure about the trickle charger but that sounds good if you're off shore.

LOL too funny I'll do a little research and just take it from there. Most likely I'll get the 3 bank 15amp charger as I will be adding a third battery soon JIC. Not sure about the inverter just yet but we'll see. I'm just counting the days for summer LOL Just curious, even tho you have the volvo motor what prop pitch you using on your drive. I currently have the 3 blade duel prop 24 pitch, but plan on having them cupped a bit to get better top end as I can hit the rev limiter quite easily. She has the 496HO with bravo 3x drive.

LOL too funny I'll do a little research and just take it from there. Most likely I'll get the 3 bank 15amp charger as I will be adding a third battery soon JIC. Not sure about the inverter just yet but we'll see. I'm just counting the days for summer LOL

Likewise! We just got her is early July and had to learn everything about boating in a very condensed period of time and it wasn't easy with that size boat to tell you the truth, but thankfully it went ok and no major issues. Just a brand new trailer that had one of the break lines snap either on the way back from where we bought it 7 hours away or on our first ramp launch and after fixing it, the 2nd time down the ram it wouldn't back up. Breaks froze because it either had too much air in the system or it wasn't bled properly. So I had to get out with 5 boats behind us and scramble and I just opened one of the bleeders and let out all the air and some fluid and we were able to back down the ramp. All the people behind us were very cool about it as it took 15 minutes to get us out of there except for one dude who came over and was a little agitated but ended up helping out anyway lol. So it's been a great, first season and the whole family and friends who've experienced this new lifestyle are all talking about next year. 5-6 months to go dang! And we're supposed to get clobbered this year according to the almanac which I don't remember the last time that thing was wrong TBH! My son and I were looking at your pics in this thread with the boat covered in snow and we're bumming! Winter-fun is ok but nothing like boating, that's for sure.

Just curious, even tho you have the volvo motor what prop pitch you using on your drive. I currently have the 3 blade duel prop 24 pitch, but plan on having them cupped a bit to get better top end as I can hit the rev limiter quite easily. She has the 496HO with bravo 3x drive.

Your numbers are scary on that Merc. IIRC you were running close to 60 mph?! In that boat! That's go-fast speeds man lol.

I have the F-5 VP props which are 21 pitch as opposed to the F-4 which are 19 if I'm not mistaken. 21's supposedly better for top speed and 19's better at the hole shot but I don't particularly notice any difference for the way I cruise like an ol' lady. :D

My drive does have some serious corrosion issues, though. It needs to be stripped and blasted really well and prepped carefully and repainted very well. Supposedly this will happen over the winter and will cost quite a few deer but probably better than upgrading to the OceanX series in terms of herds of deer.

LOL this sums up my trailer issues. Its always something. Started with bearings that were so bad when I bought the boat, that they had to be grinded off. Then when pulling the boat out this past labor day weekend, the trailer hitch popped off the ball receiver when pulling her up the ramp. Thank god for the safety cables. Had to back her up slowly down the ramp, pull boat off trailer and drive the trailer back on level ground. We ended up strapping the trailer hitch down to the receiver to prevent it from happening again. Got her back home, ordered a new trailer sleeve w/ drop down hitch and she's good to go. Turns out he latch that locks the hitch to the ball receiver was worn and with all the weight, she slipped out and almost caused me a BIG headache. And yes, I had the correct hitch ball size LOL Anyway, I guess I can't use your drive and props as a guide as mine are completely different. I did some research and found out that pretty much everyone with the same boat, drive and motor are all running 26pitch 3 blade props, so I'll get mine cupped this winter and see how she runs. I just want to find that happy middle. LOL

CellPhoneDownload6-28-13078_zps9c0d0545.

Pete, did you have the cables crisscrossed? I have a foundation contractor who pours all my foundations and he has a custom, metal trailer he had built for all his forms that he trailers to all the 'job sites' :D and when that thing is fully loaded with forms, it weighs close to 15Klbs+ and one time on the highway, the ball on the trailer hitch snapped and the whole tongue end of the trailer dropped and sat right on the cables instead of hitting the ground because of the crisscrossed cables. He was able to slow down and get into the break-down lane and change balls and get back on his way. He said that had the cables not been crossed, the tongue would've dug into the asphalt on the road and sent everything flying all over and who knows what kind of damage would've happened. Talk about a small, little thing that can save the day!

I've been meaning to ask you, is this a Home Depot your buddy owns who let you use it to park the boat? We were looking at that and noticed the orange racks and other similar things to an HD store.

CellPhoneDownload6-28-13084_zpsdae269a4.

Another Q', when you took the arch off, how heavy was it? Is it a 2-man operation or is it too heavy for that? I know it's awkward because of it's shape and center of gravity, but I might have to take mine off to get it into this "possible" storage building for the winter.

I think the cables were crossed as I usually hook it up that way. Either way, it was a very close call. I ended up putting in a new insert just last week.

IMG_5186_zpsa58c41a9.jpgIMG_5285_zps80f8db57.jpg

As far as the area I keep the boat in the winter, well, lets just say its nice to have friends LOL After I purchased the boat late last Nov 2012, I had her sitting outside for a few snow storms, and a buddy of mine had suggested I keep it in one of his warehouses he runs. Said he had plenty of room. Well, couldn't pass that offer up, so now I keep her stored indoors. Turns out he just picked up his first boat (230 Crownline Cuddy) and stores it next to mine. We help each other out working on our boats during the offseason. And yes, those are old HD racks that he bought a long time ago :)

Pulling the Arch of was pretty easy, but I would definately suggest 3 or 4 people helping with the move off and on the boat after you do all the unbolting and such. Its just awkward and you don't want the studs at the end of Arch scratching up your hull.

When you get a second, let me know what brand and or model number charger you have on your boat. I'm planning on installing one this winter. Thank Hatem.

No problem. I'll run out there right now and get the info on the charger. I'm in my sutdio which is 7 steps down from where the boat is at the end of the driveway. So it's hardly an effort lol.

Nice to have those friends. I can say I have a friend of a friend who owns a few buildings and stores people's collectible cars for them over the winter in one of them which is where I store my 2001 WS6 (it's the lowest end vehicle in there LMAO! :D) but she is mine and she's American muscle and that's all that counts. I was actually going to retire her with 30K miles and pick up one of those new Stingrays or ZO-6's but we ended up buying the Chap instead. I really like those new Vettes but the Chap was more of a family tool than the latter so it was a good call for sure. He has another building he was supposed to make a deal to sell last week when I asked him if I can store the 276 in it and he said to call him this week to see if the deal went through or not and if not, it would be available to us for rent. So I called yesterday and the deal didn't go through so we're pretty psyched. I just hope I don't have to take the arch off to get it in there. But we'll find out by Friday when I get up there to look at it. Either way, it'll be worth the hassle to keep her indoors with those Nor'Easters we get up this way in the winter. I just have to drop the boat off at the dealer for a few days so they can change the oil, put pink stuff and a few other things, then take the drive off to strip it completely and repaint it and then hopefully I can take it up to that warehouse for the rest of the winter and be able to do all the mods on it nice and comfortably. I also can raise her up and put the trailer on the brand new jack-stands I bought just for that. They weren't going to allow me to do that at the dealer's yard since it's all gravel and too much of a liability for them with the ground freeze & thaw cycles. So that's another plus, take some of that heavy weight off the trailer wheels and leaf springs.

Ok, be right back with the charger info.

Perfect!! Thanks for the pic. I'll check around and see what I can find. I sure hope she fits in your buddys building, it's nice to be able to work on her while the snow is falling and you can take your time. I never thought about putting the trailer up on blocks to protect the bearing and springs. I did hear someone mention that to me so I'll definately look into that. Right now, I just pulled my drive off because i suspected my upper seal on the drive was leaking and to no suprise, it was. I noticed drive oil in the bellows and was wondering why I kept having to add oil in the reservoir. Its pretty easy to do except I have to get my hands on a spanner wrench. Hopefully my mechanic friend will let me borrow it but I'm sure he would rather do it himself to make a few bucks. I'll have to work something out with him. lol

drivestand_zpsa37e25f4.jpg

That's a very cool custom stand you made there for the drive, Pete.

Did you build it the exact height so that you can slide it on that dolly right under the swim platform and it fits onto the drive? That's what it looks like. Then you can just unbolt the drive and slide it off right on the dolly itself I like it.

Good luck with that leak. Probably better to have an interior leak than a bellow failing and salt water coming in.

Going to measure the doorway to that building in a few hours. I'll keep you posted. If it looks like it'll fit without taking the arch off, great. If I have to take the arch off, so be it. Better than the alternative for sure.

I'll tell you, though, the thought of lifting this behemoth up to slide the jacks under it is a bit scary lol. Plus I gotta be sure the jacks are perfectly stable once the boat is on them so it's safe to get into it and work on it.

I've bought a lot of stuff to go into it and it's waiting for the opportunity. TV, Radar, new GPS, a 2nd thru-hull transducer, a built-in VHF and antenna, and bunch of customized fishing stuff another bank of batteries and more. So I need that building to work fo sho! :D

Busy winter for HG. Sounds like you'll be doing alot of garage boating. I hope you cleared all of these mods with the Admiral. :rolleyes:

"Garage boating" I like it. Yeah man, the lovely Missus is perfectly fine with all the mods. She knows most of the stuff I'm doing is to better our boating experience and definitely to make it safer, especially the new GPS and radar. I'll be so happy once I have depth sound reading. Just that will be a huge improvement.

Took a look at the building this morning and looks great. Door is 14' tall and 10ft wide so she should fit in nicely with a 9ft beam once I take off the glide posts. Plenty of room inside. Just gonna be a little tricky backing in as there's not a lot of pavement room in front of the door. There is a secondary door but it has a pretty steep ramp.

IMG_2330_zps44d77187.jpg

I think you will be just fine with that opening, just back her in slowly and you should be good to go. Unfortunately, I built the stand at home and couldn't take that measurement, so its just used for a stand. I\'ll still have to lift her up and install the drive the old fashion way. Oh well. It took about an hour to make, I just googled it up and used someone elses as a template. Maybe $30 in materials. Good luck with your winter projects and keep me posted. I'll do the same.

Hey Pete, here's the link to the Pro Tournament 2-bank battery charger. Service manager said it's enough for a pair of deep cycle batteries or a 2-bank of double batteries and works great. I was going to change it to a heavier one that can charge 2 separate banks but he told me with the upgrade of the existing Interstate batteries to the heavier, deep cycle one (can't remember the name) that it'll be plenty to run the stereo, TV, and several other items for several hours and just on one battery.

So in case you're interested.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/promariner-10-amp-pro-tournament-battery-charger-2-bank-12-24v?a=589467&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=43-14877100-2&pm2d=CSE-SPG-25-NEXTAG&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=nextag&utm_campaign=CI

Thanks pal, but I just installed my 2 bank charger from Minn Kota and the power port for the plug which I installed on the port side above the mini white cooler. Very easy install. My next project is are my 2 Seablaze X lights that I had just ordered. I just need to figure out how I am going to drill through the box section of the bilge so that the lights can be positioned in the right spot 8-12" below the water line. Any suggestions? Thought about using a 25" 1/2" drill bit drilled from the outside in an upward angle so that I can drill thru the box part and come out on top then feed the wire thru somehow.

You're welcome.

Are you talking about drilling through those two, raised, box sections to the sides of the bilge in your picture here you posted when the motor was taken out?

CellPhoneDownload6-28-13014_zps2a8d1e25.

Or under the swim platform? Or do you already have lights under the SP? I can't remember if you already have those but it looks like you do from your avatar pic. Anyway, I think there's only foam in those side square platforms so you should be ok with a long bit. You could make a wooden, PLYWD jig at whatever angle you want and hold the drill to that jig so both sides are drilled at the same angle and come out in the relatively the same spot inside the bilge, or use one of those right-angle adapters that fit onto electric drills so it sits square on the bottom surface and that'll give you the same angle on both sides.

I have a rocker switch for underwater lights and the switch itself lights up when you turn it on but no underwater lights anywhere! lol

I need to get a couple installed under the SP and connect them to that rocker switch but it sounds like you already have those and are adding a few to the sides which are very cool. I was looking at a video just the other day of a company that sells these lights that go all around the hull just below the water line and there's two kinds - ones that give out direct beams of lights and the others where just flood lights and light the whole area around the boat. The latter looked cooler to me. Is that what you're doing?

Exactly!! I'm talking about drilling thru the boxed section with a 1/2 drill bit long enough to start on the outside where the light would be positioned in an upward angle to come out thru the boxed section somewhere near the trim pump on the starboard side and the same for the port side. I found a long enough drill bit, but definately a bit worried it won't work as imagined in my head. LOL I noticed a post of someone that was installing some older Ocean Led lights that had the post on the back of the light. He drilled a 4" hole on top of the "box" section so he could reach his hand in there to tighted the nut on the threaded part of the light. All I need to do is thread the wire thru. Guess its easier said then done, but my lights just came in the mail and I'm hoping to tackle the project within the next week or so. The light you see in my avatar picture is that Liquid Light you install in place of your drain plug. Its ok, but definatly would like to see a little more light that what that puts out. I'm hoping these Seablaze X lights will do just that. Here's a picture of the liquid light with the boat outside of the water.

CellPhoneDownload7-24-2014063_zps2a34096

That's wild. Never knew you could get a butt plug with a light on it!? BTW, why don't you just put the lights under your swim platform, Pete? Much easier and light up the whole back area very nicely and you won't have to worry about going through those boxes and all that?

Something like this off of Google.

100_1948.jpg

I have seen that done, but I'd like to have the light directed away from the boat not straight down below the boat. I'm going to give it a shot next week so, I'll keep you posted. Fingers crossed LOL

Ok, project one complete!!! On the recommendation of a good friend of mine, I decided to pull the motor out once again and replace my entire transom assy., as the one that was on there was pretty beat up due to salt water use and no proper maintenance. Once the motor was removed and transom assy. it made installing my Seablaze X lights that much easier. I installed the 2 lights approx. 8" below the waterline and centered between the drive and the trim tabs. I drilled with a 1/4'" 18" long drill bit in an upward angle from the outside where the bit came out on the shelf part inside the engine compartment. Then I drilled another hole using a standard length 1/4" drill bit about a half an inch above the hole I had just drilled, just enough to go thru the back side of the hull. I then switched to the recommended 1/2" drill bit and drilled in same hole. This was to achieve a straight 1/2" hole just thru the transom part so the back side of the light will be flush with transom and the wire will not have to bend in an upward angle. As the old saying goes, MEASURE TWICE, DRILL ONCE! lol Clean all bottom paint from hull where light will be mounted, tape wire from light to 18" drill bit and feed thru hole to come out in engine compartment. I had to temporarily remove trim pump as the wire would come right underneath. I used 5200 to seal light to transom and on screw holes as I didn't want to take any chances. Here are some of the pictures.

IMG_5549_zpsa0dd7087.jpgIMG_5550_zps5af4c662.jpgIMG_5552_zps4b641de3.jpgIMG_5648_zps2d611f43.jpgIMG_5649_zpsd4b77ac6.jpgIMG_5651_zps552b5d60.jpgIMG_5655_zpsa24f06c7.jpgIMG_5656_zps1922c8da.jpgIMG_5554_zpsdb8647b5.jpgIMG_5553_zps94ea01aa.jpg

Looks good, Pete. That was a better idea to install the lights on the backside of the transom plate instead of under the swim platform because then the lights are always submerged and actually underwater. If they're installed under the SP then most of the time they won't actually be under water and instead be just bouncing in and out at the surface since the bottom of the SP is actually above the waterline in most cases. The new style platforms sit well above the water by a good foot at least.