hboggio

Preventative Maintenance (water pump impellers & gasket)

I have a 2010 Chaparral 284 Sunesta that has relatively low hours (less than 200). The boat is used during the NJ summer months, weekends only. Just got a preventative maintenance notice from the marine center that I am storing my boat at for the first time, so they are new to me. They are suggesting that the following work be done:

1. Replace the engine raw water pump impellers and gaskets

2. Install a new engine thermostat and gasket

I checked my service records from my previous marine center and this work has not been done in the past. Before I spend close to on this work, I wanted to request feedback on whether this should be done at this time or whether it's not necessary. I recognize that this is preventative maintenance, but welcome anyone's feedback.

Thanks,

Hank

Yes. A 3 year old impeller is needing to be changed.

If you do not plan to use the boat during the winter, hold of on the new impeller until spring. They can take a set after sitting unused for a long time.

Given the price quoted, I hope you have twins.

The breakdown on costs from my marine center is below.

Remove and replace the engine raw water pump impellers and gaskets, including materials and labor:

Supply and install new engine thermostat and gasket, including materials and labor:

I do not have twin engines.

Half that price and I would consider lettung them do it, otherwise, I'd be learning how to do it myself. That said price is in line with my selling dealer. But I have bought all materials to do it myself. Dose not look that difficult. Just tak your time. Luckily mine is in shed in back yard so I can walk away from it and go back if needed.

I can certainly wait until the spring when the boat is in the water. I'd have to take a look at the manual to try and figure out how to do the maintenance myself.

Both these jobs are rather simple projects. Your thermostat should cost about or and the impeller should be anywhere from to . Both will come with gaskets. This is a great DYI project for a new owner. If nothing else check around for a mobile marine mechanic in your area. The price quoted seems really high.

Like the others said, those prices seem really high. I did my impeller myself for . It took me about 45 minutes and it was the first time i had done it. I'm thinking next time maybe thirty minutes, max. An expereinced mechanic may beat that time. Point is, if the part is roughly , then they are charging you about ish for about a 30 minute job. Thats really bad.

I have not done my thermostat but i will and the part is less than .

Note - I have minimal mechanical skills so I am certain you can do it yourself. Plus, you will learn a great deal about your boat in the process and save $$$.

I tried to answer your email but my computer messed up so I will answer here. The thermostat is easy. You can get one at most auto parts stores, Just make sure you get one in stainless steel and the same operating temp as the one you take out of your boat. It may say anything from 165 to 180 degrees. The impeller can be purchased from West Marine if you don't have a Volvo Penta dealer in your area. The model number will be on the front cover of your water pump. It will have three or four screws holding it on. Just bring the cover with you when you get your parts. Hope this helps.

You have the greatest Chap dealer in the world in NJ, he will either do the maint. or send you the correct parts, give Joe a call, He is also a forum member.

Chaparral Parts On-Line Store www.cecilmarineonline.com

Home of the Chaparral Owners Club Polo Shirt

Regards
Joe Celano

Cecil Marine
Williamstown, NJ
Voice: 856-629-4606 ext 5

Website www.cecilmarine.com

"Replace the engine raw water pump impellers and gaskets"

That's a pretty high price. My local Chaparral dealer charges for the impeller and 1 hour labor on a 2004 204 SSI with a Volvo 5.0GXi. Number of hours is generally less relevant than time. Replace impeller every three years. Thermostat shouldn't need replaced for a couple more years.

I agree both should be done, but I would do it myself and have done so. Both are an easy fix and you`ll save alot of deer.

do you have a merc or Volvo? Mercs impeller changes are hard to get to & maybe ask around to have someone show you how to best access the area. if you have a Volvo, it is 4 bolts and a small bracket to unscrew right in the front, 30 min job. either way definitely worth learning how to DIY.

It also may depend on what your mechanic looks like if your willing to pay

http://chivethethrottle.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/dar-500-sexy-mechanicwtmk.jpg?w=750

When removing bolts from housing do not over torque, you will bend/break them easy. It's an easy job.

There is torque spec for everything which has threads in the motor.

For water pump housing bolts it is 60 lb-in. (7.9 Nm) on Alpha Gen 2 (see Page 3B-76)

It is simply not wise (and costly) to do anything to motor without torque wrench and repair manual.

Torque wrenches cost near to nothing at Harbor Freight. Mercruiser or VP repair manuals are available online for free with some search efforts.

be careful with tools like torque wrenches from places like harbor freight, make sure you check the calibration before trusting them.

Might want to replace imp & housing...is a simple job on volvo, just went through the imp is bad routine, only to watch the housing start leaking

be careful with tools like torque wrenches from places like harbor freight, make sure you check the calibration before trusting them.

Very good point!

I'm going to calibrate mine with vise and bucket of water.

Very good point!

I'm going to calibrate mine with vise and bucket of water.

I use steel barbell weights, same principal, used a scale at a fedex store to verify the weight, wrote it on the plates.As long as you remember torque = weight X length it works well.

Bucket with water worked for me.
I've checked it for 10 lb-ft and 20 lb-ft, it was ~7 to -10% error.
I think it is acceptable.