hboggio

Suggestions on Trickle Charger for 256 SSX

I have a 2008 Chaparral 256 SSX with two batteries. The boat sits idle on a boat lift in SW Florida for months at a time. Unfortunately, I have not yet hooked the boat up to a trickle charger as I'm not sure if this is a do-it-yourself job. I have power at my dock, so I would prefer not to use the basic solar chargers, unless feedback suggests that they are sufficient. Any suggestions?

I am fortunate to be able to keep mine in a building year round. I have an automatic trickle charger made by Interstate batteries that charges only if the batteries call for it. It is connected to both batteries 24/7 all year when I'm not using her. Batteries are always fully charged, the only issue that I've had, was I wore out 3 chargers in the last 21yrs. Denny

If you're looking for a good trickle I would check out genius brand. But if you have power at the dock why not install a permanent battery charger with dockside hook up. Promariner is a good brand.

http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/servlet/the-4975/CHARGER-GENIUS-3500MA/Detail

http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/servlet/the-4826/CHARGER-PRO-SPORT-12/Detail

I am on my 4th Promariner charger, not my favorite. A few of us have had issues with them and I am getting tired of replacing it. I just had to replace it this again year, relay was buzzing and it's not repairable. The only thing that keeps me with them is they will provide you with a 50% discount for a out of warranty replacement.

I would go with the ProMariner. It is a 3 stage charger so it will condition the batteries. It can be set for wet cells or AGM types. Also, when the battery/batteries become fully charged, it will go to a float charge. Some trickle charges won't and run the risk of overcharging.

The boat was equipped with an older ProMariner which is still working well since 2009. Just in case, I have bought a replacement and installed it in the basement. It is ProMariner ProNautic 12-40P 40A 3 Bank Charger, that I use to charge, restore, and maintain boat batteries during winter.

ProMarinerProNautic1240P.jpg

If anyone interested ... I found the best prices for ProMariners and some other stuff here: http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Promariner-Pronautic-1240p-40-Amp-3-Bank-Battery-C-p/prm63140.htm ... add to the cart to see their price, often much lower than on defender.com which is known for very good prices.

For occasional needs I use the Battery Tender 800 Waterproof Charger. It is small, portable, waterproof but not ignition proof ... not a good choice for installation inside boat's engine compartment: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CITKCE/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41VjmUbLGpL.jpg

I have close to the same model. What is good about that one is, it tells you voltage and amp output.

I had the same Promariner that Ben@CecilMarine has listed as the second option installed by my dealer on our '08 264 when we bought it. Has worked fine for us the past 5 years without any issues.

Rod

I also have a promariner 2-bank /12amp onboard charger. Keeps both batteries on my 220 fully charged. Simple to use, just plug it in to shore power.

brick