TRIPC

Buying from boat show

How many of you guys purchased from a boat show. Is it when dealers are really making deals? Thinking about trading up

I purchased at our boat at the Chicago Boat show last year. It seemed to me there were several people making purchases at the show when I stopped to look inside the booths.

There is a nice 327 at the dealership on Lake Murray. If you have the guys name that is interested, have him respond to me and I can get him in touch.

Saw our 330 at the summer boat show, but didn't buy it while it was at the show. The thing is we kept coming back to it while we were looking. Was really looking for a low hrs used 330 and that is when the dealer made me a deal on the new one. It was about a month after the show. Not sure if we would of gotten the same deal at the show since we didn't get into dealing on a finale price at the show.

I have not purchased at a boat show personally, but my dad did that about 10 years ago. I was with him. It was the Cleveland boat show in January 2004. They had several 2003 models sitting there that were new. The deal seemed good to me. They were happy to get rid of the previous year's model and make a sale during the winter months. The price seemed comparable to some of the 01 and 02 used models at the time. Plus they threw in a lot of extras like ski vests, tube, and other accessories just to help drive the sale home. Not sure if the model makes a difference on how much they will negotiate or discount the price at the boat show, but for what it's worth, he was buying a Larson 190.

Bought our Sig 310 @ Ft. Lauderdale show in 2012, had it built and delivered in Mar 13. Negotiated over 3 days and got a great trade-in on my pontoon in N Ga. and a great price from Orlando dealer and Chap. Best to negotiate at end of show. Not sure where you are, but my Chap is available, we're in Bradenton, Fl. :-). We're moving up to the 36-40 ft range. :-)

Steve

Bought mine at the show, and got a really good deal on it... However you need to go on the first days to get the deals, as most good deals will get taken quickly. After i made my offer, there was 3 others behind me within 10 mins!! The dealers only countered one time, but since my first was super low, his counter ended up being right where i wanted to be. I tried to counter offer again just to be greedy and he told me that the others were already offering more.... I called BS then i saw the other people looking at me and my wife.... i accepted the counter offer :)

In my opinion the best time to buy is the end of the season. I picked up my 2013 for quiet a few deer less than what the 14's are going for at the boat show. But if you are looking to pick up a new boat and need it in the spring I would say yes the boat show is the way to go. As far as the best time at the show I guess it all depends on the demand/ traffic the company is getting. I looked at some montererys at the Newport boat show last year and I think I went on the first day and they threw me a pretty good offer. But if they haven't gotten much attention you can really beat them down on a deal at the end of the show.

We bought ours at the Toronto boat show in 2011. The boat belonged to a northern marina very far away from were we live so they put us onto the next closest marina dealer who was at the show. They presented the boat as a new 2010, however when we were dealing on price, I caught them pricing this boat as a new 2011. Then they did they numbers trick, took off all of the incentives and eventually we made the deal. We left ourselves an out for finance and water test. Finance was not even an issue but a tool. We were just browsing at the show.

When I got home I did my research and found this boat was in fact a demo with 24hrs on the power train. We wanted to void the deal but further negotiated on the price. I found several other boats and realized we had now done a good deal but only with the further negotiations.

Would I do it again, absolutely not. Would never buy a new boat again

There is nothing magical the dealer can do at the boat show that they can't do in their show room unless the manufacturer happens to have a boat show incentive. They paid the same amount for the boat whether it is sitting in their show room or on the convention center floor. If they can give you 30% off msrp at the show, they can do it before or after the show. They maybe more motivated to give you that 30% at the show to avoid having to transport the boat back home though.

Boat Show season is a great time to buy a new boat, if you want to have it by the beginning of the boating season. Manufacturers will quite often have " boat show" deals, such as extended warranties or factory discounts, but even these are usually available after the show. Do your homework before you go to the show, look around, talk to the salespeople and see what kind of a deal you can get. At the worst, you will have a fun day looking at new boats.

brick

There are exceptions to every rule, but generally dealers have high hopes at the beginning of any show. If you can hold out til the end, or a few days after the show, your negotiating leverage is higher and the dealers still have the factory dollar incentives to play with.

What are you looking to move up to?

There are exceptions to every rule, but generally dealers have high hopes at the beginning of any show. If you can hold out til the end, or a few days after the show, your negotiating leverage is higher and the dealers still have the factory dollar incentives to play with.

Bought mine at the show, and got a really good deal on it... However you need to go on the first days to get the deals, as most good deals will get taken quickly. After i made my offer, there was 3 others behind me within 10 mins!! The dealers only countered one time, but since my first was super low, his counter ended up being right where i wanted to be. I tried to counter offer again just to be greedy and he told me that the others were already offering more.... I called BS then i saw the other people looking at me and my wife.... i accepted the counter offer :)

I have bought two boats at boat shows. The first one, I had been working with dealers locally, and attended all the local boat shows trying to work a deal and just couldn't make the numbers work. I went to the Miami show the next month, and a dealer there had at least six last year models in stock they were willing to make huge discounts on. I ended up saving 20% over the best to order deal I could work, and used that boat for two years before selling it for 95% of what I paid for it.

The next was a pontoon I bought locally. Saw the layout and colors we wanted, but not all in one boat. Had to order it, so I tried working a few dealers. All of them came down to a bottom dollar within a few weeks after the show, and said that it had to be ordered by the end of the month to qualify for rebate money from the boat and engine manufacturers. We regretted that from the day we put it on the water. Thankfully, the dealer was a good guy to deal with and when a buyer came in the next year looking for exactly our boat, he called me up and brokered the deal to sell it for a little loss.

We're back to shopping again, which is why I joined the forum, but will likely go used as new prices have outpaced our budget. :slap:

Not sure. Just been looking around. It seems that every time I call a dealer about a boat I find it is a broker boat, Therefor not taking in a trade. Do I will go to the shows and see what I can come up with, I have been in the car business for 15 years and the Marine world is on a whole different attitude when it comes to moving product. Most dealers don't seem to eager to sell anything now a days.

I'm 50/50 on this. Years ago they gave options upgrades and cash back those days seem to be gone. The "Gotcha Covered"is nice but lets face it unless something really goes wrong , Nothing is going to happen to the engine and boat(unless your boat is made on a Monday or Friday) for a long time. I ordered my 264 in October with the 8.2 Merc, and price was way better than what they offered at the Atlantic city show as well as the NY show...but still better than Just walking in to the dealer during the year.....

:thththsoapbox2-1: ps and to all the folks at Chaparral reading this I love you guys but I'm still very ticked off that I just dropped over 100k and can't get a Sea Core with DTS on the Sunesta :slap:

Not sure. Just been looking around. It seems that every time I call a dealer about a boat I find it is a broker boat, Therefor not taking in a trade.

Yes, taking a trade to a brokered boat deal is near impossible. Brokers won't step up financially to buy your boat unless they own the boat you're buying. Your best bet for pre-owned is to find a boat the broker owns, or to list your boat for sale and cash out of it. The latter is what I decided to do after my deal initially fell through on the SR (because of my trade by the way). Fortunately, the seller came back to me in November and decided to take my 310, so I ended up accomplishing the near impossible. I could have taken more cash away had I sold it retail, but not much more. First, the standard 10% broker fee would have come out of my pocket. Second, I saved a lot of NJ sales tax (7%) getting to offset the purchase price by the value of my trade. That's a 17% built in overhead for selling retail versus trading. Dealers know that of course, which is why their offers will always be less than "fair market value." And if a dealer offers you fair market value, beware. They are probably playing your emotions which they know are still tied to your trade, and can afford to do so because they have the profit in the boat you want to buy.

Regardless of what you do, prepare yourself for some seemingly insulting trade offers if you buy pre-owned. I solicited many offers on my boat. The first offer I got I wanted to punch the guy. Turns out that was the highest offer I got, little did I know at the time!!! My trade and purchase deal was aided significantly by my finance broker, who had many years experience as a boat dealer before jumping over to the finance industry. PM me if you want his contact info. His advice and guidance was like having a buyer's broker working for me. He definitely showed me the ropes and spoke very candidly about how the brokers and dealers play the game. He helped me from the earliest stages of negotiation, until the very end.

Good luck and keep us posted! I'm out of the boat buying business for a while and need a way to pass the time by living vicariously through others!

"Good luck and keep us posted! I'm out of the boat buying business for a while and need a way to pass the time by living vicariously through others!"

That's funny Jim. I bought my 330 last year and I told my wife that I want to buy another boat. Not because I need or want one (absolutely love mine)

I just want to go through the process or researching it again like I did last winter.

I really enjoyed it and it kept me in "boating mind" through out the winter.

Now I just get to research accessories. I guess.

My 327 was at the boat show but I bought it three months later. The deal was the same as the show deal and I still got the free 2yr engine warranty extension. I have now traded two boats for new ones and I 'm sure I somehow got the britches put on me but I don't waste time worrying about it; I never thought of my boats as investments. If you see a boat you like/want and you have the money to make a deal you should get it and focus on the enjoyment; not look back or regret it. PS JimT that is one sweet SR you bought.

If you see a boat you like/want and you have the money to make a deal you should get it and focus on the enjoyment; not look back or regret it.

Amen brother!!! .....Done!!!

Did anyone make it to the NY Boat show I did it was disapointing. Alot less venders. West marine didnt even show up this year i have been going to this show for over 10 yrs, just not the same anymore. Chaparral booth was just ok i was hoping i would see the new jet Boat but the dealer there Anchor marine said he didnt have much info on it yet. Most dealers said it was very slow alot of looking but not buying. Most of the people i know who bought a new boat in the past yr were people replaceing boats that were destroyed by Hurricane Sandy, so most of the sales were made already last yr

A lot depends on the economy and the boat brands. Many times the manufacturer will offer the participating dealer boat show incentives - then if the boat dealer is having a great year they'll use those to make more per boat, but many times it will allow them to get more competitive on pricing. So pretty much like anything else, its about how much they want to sell product (and what incentives the manufacturers have given them to work with). I bought a boat in 1989 from the Miami boat show and I felt like I got a great deal.

Good luck!

I can see getting good deals at the show. The dealer has a mind set at that point. I have bought my boats in December though. I think it is the best time of the year.

I would suspect that purchasing at a boat show can get you a decent price but it also depends on the type of boat you're looking at. boats they move a lot of probably are already priced at the moving point boat show or not and the show may not get you a steal of a deal but you may find fairly good deals on the manufacturers mid range products (mid range in volume of sales not quality of product)

I was interested in a Formula 410 at Chicago last year but that was a popular model for them and their salesman either didn't think I was serious or wasn't interested in price discussions as I found very similar equipped boats on boattrader for much less and cruisers I imagine have large swings in price and margin as the prices between some dealers I have found are 6 figures apart. Tons of variables, so if you are wanting a show boat do research prior to going and get a good idea of what the market is for the particular boat you want. Everything is shiny, smells new, looks great and can dull your ability to think clearly. :drool5:

A lot depends on the economy and the boat brands. Many times the manufacturer will offer the participating dealer boat show incentives - then if the boat dealer is having a great year they'll use those to make more per boat, but many times it will allow them to get more competitive on pricing. So pretty much like anything else, its about how much they want to sell product (and what incentives the manufacturers have given them to work with). I bought a boat in 1989 from the Miami boat show and I felt like I got a great deal.

Good luck!

So true!

I bought mine at the Boston Show last year. Brand new 2011 Sig 290. The deal was too good to pass up! BUT than again, it was 2 years old and with the market bing soft they could not move it.

Less high paying jobs with full benifits everywhere. Sooo Even the wealthy are starting to say. " Enough of this shrinking profit per piece.".