TRIPC

Buying from boat show

40 posts in this topic

I have noticed the difference over the last few years. it could be ...

1 Having delt with the Javits Center myself at trade shows I could only Imagine how much the unions are killing them on fees you would be shocked on what they charge for and how much.

2 The larger Boat Mfrs are just showing up with booths no product. Cost too.much just to have .a family of 12 climb all over a 3 million dollar Sunseaker

3. Shows are getting shorter... :thsmilie_water_119-1:

Chaparral is not going to do many sales on jet boats in the NYC area .Needles debris and one would not want to suck up a long island whitefish in ones intake... :notworthy:

The Toronto show was very nice. First thing we did was go to the Chaparral display. They had the bow riders but we wanted to see the 310 and 330. We loved both of them. They were fitted with the joystick. Not sure this be an option I would need. I probably would consider engine upgrade instead.

We didn't get to see any of the new SR because the line up was over 30-45minutes wait. We did see the 32' Regal, no waiting, the side windows are gorgeous, the cabin is very roomy but we found it pretty blah. The Cruise Yatch was also too long of a wait. We didn't even try for the luxurious ones. There were a couple of weird looking new boat, don't recall their names.

We went looking at electronics but we couldn't get any sales folks to help at any of the stations, it was busy.

I did meet with the Mercury Rep for our area and had a discussion. The Admiral checked out the Rinker and four Winns and came away unimpressed. We did return to the 310 later in the afternoon. She did it again, shame as in 2011 when she bought the 256, but this time I pulled her away. Timing is not right.

We did visit the Meridian 341, 391 and the 441. The 441 is nice but we preferred the layout of the 391. We had a great day.

Can I revive this old thread for a bit? Our plan is to buy our boat for spring delivery from the dealer that's local. They don't go to the boat shows in NYC or anything close so there wouldn't be no benefit of trying to buy at the boat show right? It's not going to be one from stock so it'd have to be ordered and I'm assuming the deals wouldn't be as good on custom ones? The Chap booth wouldn't just transfer the deal to your local guy I assume? 

Always give the local dealer the chance to match the boat show prices. Ask boat show dealers their " Out the door "  price in writing. Show them to your dealer.  He should come close enough to do a deal. He should also thank you for giving him a chance to sell to you.

Edit  Do the decision NOW / ASAP . So you have a NEW BOAT early in the season & show it off as a new boat.

Another edit......... Now built boats DO have more time to be built correctly.

On 1/7/2014 at 6:13 PM, brick said:

Boat Show season is a great time to buy a new boat, if you want to have it by the beginning of the boating season. Manufacturers will quite often have " boat show" deals, such as extended warranties or factory discounts, but even these are usually available after the show. Do your homework before you go to the show, look around, talk to the salespeople and see what kind of a deal you can get. At the worst, you will have a fun day looking at new boats.

brick

I bought mine last year at the show and ordered it exactly how I wanted. Did my homework and knew what the discount % was on the one they had on display and what it would be on the one that I ordered. The thing I noticed from going to different shows though was that they had different incentives on the same model boat at different shows. 

My advice, know exactly what you want, research the invoice price of the boat so you know where you stand. The factory reps at the show can give extra incentives to the dealer if you will commit to doing the deal.

1 hour ago, jksvet said:

I bought mine last year at the show and ordered it exactly how I wanted. Did my homework and knew what the discount % was on the one they had on display and what it would be on the one that I ordered. The thing I noticed from going to different shows though was that they had different incentives on the same model boat at different shows. 

My advice, know exactly what you want, research the invoice price of the boat so you know where you stand. The factory reps at the show can give extra incentives to the dealer if you will commit to doing the deal.

Was your local dealer at the boat show or did you buy it from a "random" show dealer and then take it to the local guy for any work? I wouldn't expect to get preferential treatment at the local dealer unless you buy it from him.

NY Boat show isn't until the end of January and we were figuring on ordering before that from the local guy to ensure Spring delivery so it sounds like we'll just have to go to the dealer and see what's what.

Always decide NEW at a show.  Boat should SHINE !!  If you like it that way. I have seen boats look different if not shined or shined.  Only a few in 80 years.

In a boat show they are much larger than floating on the water.   :o

6 hours ago, watson524 said:

Was your local dealer at the boat show or did you buy it from a "random" show dealer and then take it to the local guy for any work? I wouldn't expect to get preferential treatment at the local dealer unless you buy it from him.

NY Boat show isn't until the end of January and we were figuring on ordering before that from the local guy to ensure Spring delivery so it sounds like we'll just have to go to the dealer and see what's what.

Well... it was somewhat interesting. They brought in sales guys from all over to staff the show. After I found out that the guy I originally spoke to wasn’t local, I told him that I preferred to work with the local guy. He was very cool about it, but then the local guy was balking on the price. His sales manager got involved and honored the deal. I was going to order it from the other dealer if they didn’t. Hindsight being 20/20, I sure am glad I didn’t have to get that route. Not like buying a car. Had several petty warranty issues, and I don’t know how that would have gone. Everything was taken care of, no problem.

Dealers typically have to place initial orders for the new model year shortly after they return from the annual manufacturer shows. Most of these seem to happen Sept - October.

Dealers order then to ensure they will have inventory (and favorable pricing/incentives) in the spring and for boat shows or soon thereafter.  If you go to the dealer in the fall right before or after they go to the manufacturer shows, they can get very aggressive on pricing. It's one less boat they'll have to sell (and inventory and floorplan) later, so it helps them meet manufacturer minimums for incentives, etc..  Obviously, it can help them with cash flow, too! 

I bought my boat at the Dallas boat show last year. The dealer had a lot of inventory and was very willing to give on his price. I also think dealers know all the competition is in the same building. If they don’t put their best foot forward, the dealer in the next stall could take the business. Don’t be a to work a could of dealers for the best deal. 

Good luck and go big. 

bought mine at the Michigan City boat show, end of year in water.  Actually, it took another month before i closed the deal but advantages for the on the water was

1. test drive

2. boats feel different in the water vs on a stand - get a real feel for freeboard, stability etc at the dock, 

3. true access to shorepower and other things

nice thing about a show either on water or off is that all the boats are in one place and you can and should look at multiple boats and take your time going back and forth deciding what is best for you and leverage the different offers against each other.