Futzin'

Boat trailering, yes or no

Boat Trailering, Yea or Nay?   129 members have voted

1. 1. Do you typically trailer your boat to get to water?

• Yes, we like to travel to different destinations.
    • No, we're attached to one place primarily
    • We've tried both and prefer . . .

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

40 posts in this topic

When my 3 kids were home, they each had a job to get the boat ready to head for the river. I'd get home from work, back the truck up to the trailer, hitch, change clothes, and we were off. Now just the wife and I most of the time, and a boat 5 feet longer, and much heavier, the slip is the answer.

We are moving our chap from dry storage to a wet slip at the next marina up the river from the big boat. Dry storage was ok last summer but the bad times were pretty awful, like the madhouse on Fourth of July weekend. We will see how it goes with the slip!

If you are going anywhere on a trip ? the dock is GO. Marina ? As soon as they can get you in.

Different waters visited ? Have a boat on each one ?

I'm a newbie here, but I trailered my boat last year.  I'm thinking about slipping it this year.   Since I'ma newbie, I'm not sure how this works.  Will I be able to rent a slip for 6-9 months  and find dry storage for the winter?  What options do  I have for storing my trailer?  Keeping it at the house is not an option.

My marina charges an annual fee for my slip.  Since it's a covered slip, I kept it there this past winter.  Finding a place for the trailer can be a challenge.  Friend, relative, storage unit lot, etc.  Just keep asking folks . . .

Love to trailer. Fun to go to dif lakes / rivers. Obv size of boat makes a huge dif in this.

We trailer, large lakes near our home and the cabin is on a lake.  

Slips at our local lake are by lottery, and in short supply, so trailering it is.  I like that the boat's easy to keep clean, and doesn't have to be covered (it lives in a heated garage).  Launching/recovering is no problem (we're close to a launch), but I hate dealing with amateur hour at the ramp on the weekends in the summer.

Its hard to beat having it already in the water and I find we use it a lot more when slipped at the marina

Trailer for us.  This season's just getting started and I already know we'll be travelling to Norris Lake, and Lake Lanier this year.  Maybe another trip up to Lake Erie. 

I enjoy trailering.  I just joined a yacht club that has private facilities.  I was told that if I am 2nd in line to launch, it is a busy day.

They also have several mooring areas and dry docking.  However I passed on those offerings (much to their disbelief) because I like to take everything home, unpack, and wash with soap/water.  I likewise have indoor temperature controlled storage.

If my boat was stored outside at home, I would probably opt for their offerings.

used to trailer & always thought we would travel around.  in reality my old 264 sunesta was still too big to trailer long distances and between work, kids sports and other family weekend days booked we became day boaters.  I was fine with that but on holiday weekends the ramp lines were frustrating if we were late getting out (with my wife we are always late leaving the house!!!)  - we were talked into a slip - our busy schedule stayed the same but our boat time on the water doubled.  Never did get used to the bottom scum as a downside to the slip but the time on the water out weighs that & it comes off.  Current boat finally has a lift to keep her bottom clean!!!

I tow my bass boat all over but think I'd prefer to keep my chap at a slip in the pacific.  Unfortunately the cost of that is almost insane so its a trailer for me

I am fortunate enough to have the boat tied up at the dock behind the house.  Makes it a lot easier to get underway!