gregdover

Batteries & drive lube oil

10 posts in this topic

I purchased a used 2007 236SSX last year and I'm coming out of my 1st winter in Pensacola, Fl. I need advice on 2 topics. The 1st concerns the 2 batteries on the boat. They are both deep cycle, and I can't get them to hold a charge. I am going to replace them. My question is are they both supposed to be deep cycle? There seems to be a difference of opinion on that based on my quick look on the internet. Also, which one is #1 and which is #2? My 2nd topic is on the drive lube oil. My 1st time taking the boat out I found I was low on the drive lube oil. I never saw this at all last summer. Do I have a bigger problem than just needing to add more oil?

Thanks

IMO

you should have a Cranking bat in the #1 position

a deep cycle in the #2

select #1 to check just disconnect one of the bats and see if you loose power if not that is #2

Lube oil

was the lower unit oil changed recently?

Harry

Batteries are selected by several needs.

Size of engine ?

Are the batteries connected Positive to Positive ? Or are they wired seperately at a large red main selector switch. What choices does the selector switch give you ? List them ?

Volvo requires a starting battery. Generally, that will be your #1. Follow the leads to the selector switch, or disconnect one battery to confirm which is #1 and #2.

I use two "combination starting/ deep cycle" for both. Has worked well for me for 20+ years.

brick

Drive lube I change ever year.

Batteries: I have the original Interstate starting batteries in mine. Starting batteries will work just fine. IMO

If your planning on sitting in one spot all afternoon banging out 1000 decibels on the stereo you might want to consider getting a (few) deep cycle batteries.

That is why I ask so many questions about a battery replacement. People increase the electrical loads with starting batteries only. Not good.

The reason I asked if you recently had the lube oil changed is on a B3 after and oil change

it is very common that you might have to top a few times. when putting new oil in it is very had not to get some air in the lower unit.

now since you have not changed the lower unit in several years you might want to reconsider doing it on a yearly basis.

It could be as simple as the washers on the drain plugs are seeping out oil due to age

I like to change them when I change the oil.

When changing the lower unit oil you are doing a few things. One you are looking for water in the oil also it gets very hot in the lower unit so the oil will brake do.

Harry

I purchased a used 2007 236SSX last year and I'm coming out of my 1st winter in Pensacola, Fl. I need advice on 2 topics. The 1st concerns the 2 batteries on the boat. They are both deep cycle, and I can't get them to hold a charge. I am going to replace them. My question is are they both supposed to be deep cycle? There seems to be a difference of opinion on that based on my quick look on the internet. Also, which one is #1 and which is #2? My 2nd topic is on the drive lube oil. My 1st time taking the boat out I found I was low on the drive lube oil. I never saw this at all last summer. Do I have a bigger problem than just needing to add more oil?

Thanks

What do you plan to use the boat for? If pleasure cruising (no overnights or extended high drain sitting) you can go with starting batteries. If overnights and running without connection to shore power, deep cycle on batt #2 might be advisable. I use the East Penn (Deka, West Marine) combination starting/deep cycle and have never had a problem - but I do overnights.

Next question - you say you can't get them to hold a charge. Are you sure the batteries are at fault? Have you checked for anything draining the batteries when the boat's not in use? Might want to just check before you pour out a bunch of money on batteries.