Which Brand Propeller

I have a Chaparral SSI 216 (5.7L Volvo) I am planning on using it for water sports and just lake cruising this summer. I am having a little trouble deciding which propeller brand to go with. I have narrowed my choices down to a 4 blade stainless steel 17" pitch prop. But there are still a lot of choices. I am currently looking at a Hill Marine Pleasure 4, PowerTech ELE4 Performance 4, and Solas Titan 4. Do you have experience with any of these brands or is there something else I should consider? And to anyone with a 216SSI, Does the 17" pitch 4 Blade sound right? I would Like the best water sports choice without butchering my top end speed too bad. Thank for the help.

I have a Chaparral SSI 216 (5.7L Volvo) I am planning on using it for water sports and just lake cruising this summer. I am having a little trouble deciding which propeller brand to go with. I have narrowed my choices down to a 4 blade stainless steel 17" pitch prop. But there are still a lot of choices. I am currently looking at a Hill Marine Pleasure 4, PowerTech ELE4 Performance 4, and Solas Titan 4. Do you have experience with any of these brands or is there something else I should consider? And to anyone with a 216SSI, Does the 17" pitch 4 Blade sound right? I would Like the best water sports choice without butchering my top end speed too bad. Thank for the help.

Just a friendly 2 cents....I am not sure if you have read up on the art/science of prop selecting but I recommend the following reads:

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/articles/propellers.asp

http://www.comprop.com/pickprop.html

and the one I think is the best one

http://www.mercurymarine.com/propellers/about/overview/

My first question back to somebody who asks about the right prop for a particular engine size is what is the gear ratio of your lower unit? If yours is different from theirs, your experience with the prop they say they have will be completely different than theirs. This is when you're getting into the science of the selection by looking at factors like drive ratio, prop slip, etc, and then considering how many blades and whether you want/need a cupped prop, etc. And then you also get to factor in hull condition, hull design (a SeaRay will perform differently than a Chap with identical power package), etc.

The "art" part comes when you work with a local prop shop who will let you run the prop you select to determine if the science came out accurately and if you like the prop's performance. Despite all the calcs and all the recommendations from others with "identical" setups, you will never know how a prop drives your boat until you drive your boat. Expect to have to change it out at least once before you settle on the final one.

All that said - if you're pulling around teenagers/20-somethings/30-somethings on wakeboards, kneeboards, etc you will probably want to go with a 4 blade, whatever brand you choose. Me - I'm a Merc prop man myself....

Good luck!

"the best water sports choice without butchering my top end" = 4 blade.

HIgh 5 great for hole shot, really hard on the top speed. Consider the High 5 only if you can't pull your skiers up, IMO. Not a good cruising choice. Continue your research, and by all means: try various props if you can.

I just changed props this weekend on my 2000, 216 SSI with the 5.0 L EFI and 1.62 Alpha one outdrive. I bought the boat last fall and it came with a 14 1/4" , 21 pitch 3 blade aluminum prop.

I was hoping to get some more Hole shot performance as I want to get back into slalom sking etc. When I took my old prop in to get some dings fixed I asked if he had any used Stainless 4 blade props I could try. He suggested a Michigan Wheel, Apollo 14 1/8" 20 Pitch 4 blade prop he had sitting on the shelf. What a difference! The boat jumps out of the water and even with dropping a bit on the pitch my top speed actually went up about 3 MPH. My new engine top RPM now sits about 4750 RPM which I think is about right.

This prop may not be the perfect fit but sure is a huge improvement over the old 3 blade aluminum.