Escape Plan B

Anyone ever use a Hydra Shade?

I need more shade in my 220ssi for my boating toddler. The bimini does a great job in the back, but our favorite place to hang out is in the bow.

I found this Hydra Shade, which can be used with the Sea Sucker rod holder.

Any experience or thoughts on this product and problem?

No experience using it but I just bought one... Seems to be the perfect solution for "anywhere shade".. Although I have rod holders I bought it with the rodholder and seasucker so I can put it anywhere... Looking forward to the first hot sunny day :)

Will be interested in everyone's feedback on it. Would be a great addition to have a way to place shade in the how, where everyone usually hangs out.

Seems pricey. It would be cool if they made an umbrella holder that snapped into the table mount that's already on my boat. Maybe they do...?

I have seen people adapt regular patio table umbrellas like that but once a good wind catches it you got problems, the anchorshade will swing back and forth like a bimini but its at least secured but the straps can get in the way, over all I have been impressed with it, especially the bag to put it away.

http://www.westmarine.com/taylor-made--anchor-shade-iii-with-pole-and-bag-white--P014364129

The anchorshade seems like an ok option if I didn't have a bimini. The HydraShade can be moved and tilted. Unless someone chimes in with some horror stories, I'll order it and post some pics. It'll be awhile since this Wisconsin winter has no end in sight.

The anchorshade seems like an ok option if I didn't have a bimini. The HydraShade can be moved and tilted. Unless someone chimes in with some horror stories, I'll order it and post some pics. It'll be awhile since this Wisconsin winter has no end in sight.

hope it works out, nice knowing options on sun getting outa things.

Just a follow up post. We're loving the HydraShade!

• It's very versatile no matter what angle the sun is at.
  • Easy to put up and take down. Which you should only have it up when anchored or beached.
  • The SeaSucker rod holder is rock solid.

I feel a lot better keeping the kid on board all day when I can keep him in the shade no matter where he's hanging out.

Glad you are getting good results. I looked on YouTube for the ShipShape TV episode where he had Sunbrella make a rain fly for the bow of his boat for both rain and sun protection. Basically it looks like a tent that has shock-cord fiberglass pole ribs that flex across the beam from port to starboard and rises up over the gunnels but still is low enough for the captain to see to drive the boat (at low speed, of course). It was a pretty simple device - custom made, unfortunately, easy to put up and stow and provided nice shade for his daughter.

For myself, I probably would rig a nylon cord on starboard and a port from bow to front bimini strut, making a "V" shap and drape lightweight nylon across it, shock corded to cleats on either side to keep it from flapping.