lunnardi

Dark water in my sump

Hello There

I have a 1993 Signature 29 that is on a trailer in my backyard, and about two weeks ago I notice water flooding the mid cabin and soaking the carpet. I lift the steps to get access to the hull, close to the sump pump and it had a lot of water. I drain using a bucket all the water (dark like coffee)and a week after the thing is almost full again with the same dark water. The water don't smell bad, so i wonder where it is coming from, there's no leaks in the roof or sides, everything is dry.. Please help me!!

Has it rained since you dumped it. If so. Prolly rain water that travels thru some muck til it rests at sump. Just a thought

The boat was always kept cover in a full canvas and this never happen before... and didn't rain since the last time I drain the water (a week ago) and it come again!!

Time to get a digital camera and start taking pics and see what u see, are any of the tanks full? if so water should be pink? how about hot water tank, was that winterized, any oil in bilge, ike trip C said might be runnung thru muck, once u start tearing thngs apart no telling what u might find?

is the boat sitting level on the trailer or bow low?

I would think all your on board water sources would be in the bilge area (fresh water tank, water heater,holding tank).

How much water are we talking about here?

If not rain, as said, examine all tanks for leaks. The dark color is disturbing.

The darkest possibility is water coming from the hull after it unfroze (in FL?) ... hope not!

is the boat sitting level on the trailer or bow low?

I would think all your on board water sources would be in the bilge area (fresh water tank, water heater,holding tank).

How much water are we talking about here?

Yes, the boat is sitting level. I will try to reach the tanks to see if they are leaking or so... First time I drain about 12 gallons, secont time about 7 gallons.

Thanks

If not rain, as said, examine all tanks for leaks. The dark color is disturbing.

The darkest possibility is water coming from the hull after it unfroze (in FL?) ... hope not!

that would suck especially with a little tannin color added to it.

Yes, the boat is sitting level. I will try to reach the tanks to see if they are leaking or so... First time I drain about 12 gallons, secont time about 7 gallons.

Thanks

I would start at the hot water tank,

The 19 gallons total ain't rain water ...

Have you had temperatures below freezing, was the engine winterized, how about freezing damage on the water/waste lines/tanks?

The 19 gallons total ain't rain water ...

Have you had temperatures below freezing, was the engine winterized, how about freezing damage on the water/waste lines/tanks?

I live in South FL, not a such a thing like bellow 50 down here!!!

So not the engine bilge but mid ship... 19 gallons of unknown water mid ship... wow.

Drain ALL water sources from the boat and see if it continues to flood. And get your sump pump working.

My guess based on what you said and images of the boat ...

The boat is bleeding water ingress from deck and/or hull. If boat was not maintained for a long time, it developed leaks, and the structure absorbed water when exposed to elements and/or power washing. I bet that water coloring is coming from the hull/deck fiberglass and/or rotting coring.

This would not be good news but you need consider this before splashing the boat ... could be dangerous.

My guess based on what you said and images of the boat ...

The boat is bleeding water ingress from deck and/or hull.

How can that happen sitting on a trailer with no rain.

OP, is there any water in the engine bilge?

The OP said ... and didn't rain since the last time I drain the water (a week ago) ... and I am assuming it rains in Florida and does not evaporate quickly as it is often humid there.

Looks like the boat was sitting outside for ages, and more recently was power washed ... just exploring possibilities ... you would be surprised how much water fiberglass and coring can absorb.

Not all molds / fungi cause a smell.

The amount of water is a big concern. From where ?

Very old sewage will lose odor but not color. Pump it out & flush till clean.

me personally I would pull the cabin balkhead, usually a bunch of phillips screws and the plastic washers and get a good look under the cockpit to see what is going on, if that does not reveal much I would get the boat weighed, see if it took on a few thousand pounds from the coring and wood taking on water, that tannin color is not a good sign. just my opimion.

The OP said ... and didn't rain since the last time I drain the water (a week ago) ... and I am assuming it rains in Florida and does not evaporate quickly as it is often humid there.

Looks like the boat was sitting outside for ages, and more recently was power washed ... just exploring possibilities ... you would be surprised how much water fiberglass and coring can absorb.

meant to agree with u then got busy on the phone, I would like to meet the guy who said computers would make my life easier?