Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LanikaiMike

Lake Mead "Hard" Water/Impact on boats, outdrives

6 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I am looking at a Chaparral that has been moored on Lake Mead. The boat has considerable hard water

marks on the hull and outdrives. I have been told that an "acid wash" diluted muriatic acid, is used to remove the scaling. A could of questions, since I am unfamiliar with this whole thing:

-Is the acid wash a good (and non-damaging ) way to remove the staining?

-does extended immersion in Lake mead's hard water damage the hull and/or outdrives and/ore engine?

Any experience or advice you can offer is greatly appreciated!

LanikaiMike

I did a search of pollution & galvanic action at marinas. The marinas have a severe pollution problem there. Many millions spent on studies over the years. What else?

The different chemicals & Phs are available on a web search or the marina towns.

The diluted muriatic acid cleaning solution is a standard method used on St. Lawrence River and around Great Lakes. Mostly used to deal with hull discoloration. Do not spray on unprotected metals, especially aluminum, and rinse well with water after cleaning. You might try vinegar solution first and see if that works ... it might, depending on the chemical composition of the scale.

You really would want to contact the marinas where the boat was kept. They can tell you HOW BAD the EXHAUST SYSTEM will be clogged up inside.

Phone calls are in order.

Fresh water mineral build up can be as bad as salt water. If the minerals in the water deposit at the operating temperature of the thermostat.

Luck is required sometimes.

Another concern on Lake Mead are the invasive species. If you're planning on moving the boat to another location, you'll want a full inspection/cleaning.

spot_invasivespecies_Mussel_Propeller_we

Thank you all for your thoughtful and informed responses to my inquiry. After reviewing your comments,

I have decided to pass on that boat and seek one in my own back yard.

I hope that all of you have a wonderful boating season in the months ahead!

LanikaiMike