Sterndrive Trailering Supports

Why is it I think a 200 to 600 hp drive, loading & unloading at WOT puts more strain on the transom & cylinders, than a short drive unit with cylinders full of oil ?

Fear always out sells logic.

O K . Fear & sex outsell logic.

At 76. I am afraid of both.

You don't need 'em . . . won't hurt anything though

Me thinks alike ... I do have them, and started using them for trailering ... just in case.

The similar (same?) product is sold under Sierra name, just make sure it fits your drive.

There are different models for Merc and Volvo: http://www.amazon.com/Teleflex-Marine-18-9098-Trailering-Clip/dp/B001BWCG6M/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1397186509&sr=1-2-fkmr1&keywords=Sierra+International+Marine+Trailering+Clip

It is like an insurance policy, you hope you never need to use it, but they act as a safety net and will stop your out drive from hitting the pavement, should you ever loose your hydraulics. Like Matt says, it's a piece of mind thing. I have them, been trailering since 92, never needed them. Word of advice, if you get them, don't forget to remove them before you launch and lower your out drive, been there, done that. Denny.

It is like an insurance policy, you hope you never need to use it, but they act as a safety net and will stop your out drive from hitting the pavement, should you ever loose your hydraulics. Like Matt says, it's a piece of mind thing. I have them, been trailering since 92, never needed them. Word of advice, if you get them, don't forget to remove them before you launch and lower your out drive, been there, done that. Denny.

My thoughts exactly. Including the last part :slap:

for short trips, id say they arent needed. as long as your drive stays up overnight or the week its sitting on the trailer, it should last to the ramp.

now if you are trailering a long distance, id say its cheap insurance. if that lower dropped and was hitting the ground, you would likely never know it. at least until someone flagged you down.

Theoretically? most times the skeg decides to lower itself when its being trailered is because there is a loose wire in the transom up / down switch that makes contact and because of murphys law always lowers it to the ground. by the time u see the sparks in the mirror its 2 late, u can rewire the switch ( thats what I do) to prevent this but then u need 2 turn on the batt. switch 2 raise or lower the outdrive, its impressive what concrete at speed acting like sandpaper can do to aluminum. 2 me its just another step like undoing the tie down straps and making sure the plug is installed, u will in time forget the plug but most only do it once. and while I'm ranting its also like towing with an undersized tow vehical, u will get away with it until somthing happens like loss of brakes during a panic stop, then the law and insurance co. will crucify u, but thats the decision u made and will have to live ( hopefully ) with, u can add airbags to your shocks etc, but CGVW is what it is.

:thththsoapbox2-1::Twocents:

Why is it I think a 200 to 600 hp drive, loading & unloading at WOT puts more strain on the transom & cylinders, than a short drive unit with cylinders full of oil ?

Fear always out sells logic.

O K . Fear & sex outsell logic.

At 76. I am afraid of both.

:mandancing:

Tough times many decades ago.

I am coming home with a 16' aluminum fishing boat FILLED with a week of everything from staying at a cabin with the wife & daughter in a 1974 ? Honda Civic. First ones in the USA. There had to be at LEAST a 1500 pound added weight to the stopping load.

Come around the blind curve. There is the 1 lane bridge.150', away. Doing 25? Car coming the other way. I am pulling the steering wheel up so hard My biceps are stinging. No braking at all.

Other car had enough brains to see I was not slowing down.

Cyclops moral of life is.

Better to have lots of luck. Than lots of brains. :