judsonmillar

210 SSI Decision HELP!

My name is Jud Millar and I am in the market for a used boat. I run a small summer camp for teens in PA and we currently have an 04 glastron with 1150 hrs. When we take a crew out wakeboarding we usually have 8 kids (average 125 lbs) and 2 adults (average 180 lbs) so we are looking at a load of about under 1400 lbs. The 210 SSI I'm looking at has the Volvo Penta 4.3 EFI for 220 HP. My concern is that this boat will be a little under powered for our needs. I am thinking that swapping the factory prop for one that will give me more low end to "get out of the hole" will help. You should see this boat, it is a beauty with only 45 hrs (how can that be) and the price is right for sure. All the other ones I have found that either have the V8's that are either 270HP or 300 HP are literally 5k to 8k more... thanks in advance for you insight!

Cyclops is asking a very important question - how many at the end of a rope at a time is a big factor. Also, if you have multiple innertubes at a time, how many on each will affect some things. We usually have two tubes with two riders each, for example....

HP opinions sometimes get a little intense here - plenty of differing views for sure. If the budget can stand it, get all the HP you can afford at the kind of loads you describe. As to my opinion, all I can say is my former boat was a 3400# Tahoe Q6 (20'6") with a 220HP Merc 4.3MPI and a stainless 3 blade prop. We routinely had a full 47 gallon fuel tank, ice/drinks, gear, and 5-6 big teenagers/adults (some considerably bigger than 125#, like me) and did pretty much everything but slalom ski, which I am pretty sure we could have accomplished had I gone to a properly selected 4-blade prop. The 3 blade I had was selected for top-end speed, which was dumb of me since we rarely ran at WOT.

Was it ideal? No, a 5.7 MPI would have been ideal. But it was very workable and the fuel efficiency was excellent. We could run almost all weekend on a tank.

Just my 2 cents....

One last thing I forgot - wakeboarders and slalom skiers will come up much easier with a tower. You shouldnt tow toys with the tower (according to the tower manufacturers) of course, but if you do wind up with the 4.3, you will do yourself a big favor by adding the tower. That will still set you back at least a couple thousand deer but may be a cheaper alternative to the bigger engines if your budget is strained.

Jud,

The boat could very well be underpowered for how you plan to use it. - I personally didn't tow stuff with my 215, but I did alot of cruising with a big load of big people aboard and never had any trouble with holeshot, even though I had repropped with a 3b stainless to improve top end. I did install smart tabs which really improved holeshot, and overall performance as well.

It sounds like a sweet boat for a sweet deal. I would guess that the right prop (like a mercury high 5 - although the prop gurus on this forum know more than me about this stuff) and smart tabs would definitely make a big difference in how the boat comes out of the water - and those upgrades are less money than a V8 boat, if total cost drives the final decision.

My last thought is that, given the loads you're dealing with, a bigger hull with even bigger power would be the ultimate choice - 25' or bigger, if budget and logistics can accommodate.

Covedog

Some questions:

does the boat have the optional extended swim platform?

what seating layout - does it have the Sport seating, or standard seating?

how old is the fuel?

when was the drive last taken off, (alignment checked, splines greased, condition of bellows inspected)

when was the impeller last changed out

when was the distributor cap last changed out

The 210 SSi has a really good hull. 4.3L EFI is okay for power, but just with what you intend to use the boat for. If the boat is going to be loaded on a regular basis, installing a lower pitch 4 blade ss prop could help with hole shot and mid range punch. For that load, you'd want the engine to easily hit the rev limiter at wide open throttle when lightly loaded.

HIGHLY recommend getting a factory extended swim platform, along with SeaDek pad - safer and far easier and more comfortable to get on and off the boat

HIGHLY recommend installing Perfect Pass (Stargazer Wake Edition - GPS) - dial in and maintain the exact speeds you're looking for when wakeboarding

Wow, thanks for all the quick comments, great info!

The main purpose is wakeboarding and waterskiing - 1 at a time

No tubes for campers - only for for our young kids every now and then

We have plans to add a tower for sure so that will help

A new/better prop is the key I think if I go with this boat (like a mercury high 5... or something)

What are are Smart Tabs?

Shepard1 asks - I answer

does the boat have the optional extended swim platform? Yes, I think so

what seating layout - does it have the Sport seating, or standard seating? Not sure, check link bench seat in back

how old is the fuel? winterized, don't know

when was the drive last taken off, (alignment checked, splines greased, condition of bellows inspected) good questions, I don't know (yet)

when was the impeller last changed out good questions, I don't know (yet)

when was the distributor cap last changed out good questions, I don't know (yet)

"installing a lower pitch 4 blade ss prop could help with hole shot and mid range punch. For that load, you'd want the engine to easily hit the rev limiter at wide open throttle when lightly loaded." This is the key I think - the right prop and an an engine running at 100% efficiency.

What is a "rev limiter"?

I'd love to learn more about installing Perfect Pass (Stargazer Wake Edition - GPS) - dial in and maintain the exact speeds you're looking for when wakeboarding - can it be done as an ad-on? How much ball park?

​I'm excited to figure this boat puzzle out...

07 210 - 220 HP - 45hrs - 20K + 2K shipping + Tower + Stuff = 22k

07 210 - 300 HP - 300HRS w/ Tower - 26K + 1K shipping and stuff = 27K

5K difference

I expect to own this boat for 6 to 8 years and put 100 to 120hrs on per summer.

in 2022 how much will an 07 210 SSI be worth with mucho hrs ???????????????????????

Lets say its worth 10k maybe 12k

So at 8 years the cost per year options are either -

1) 10K/8 years = $1250 per year

2) 15k/8 years = $1875 per year

Only $625 per year

Doesn't seem like much when you spread it over 8 years. But my scotch/irish heritage must save the money and "WIN" the game of shopping for a cheap $^&

OK - that's enough!

http://www.parkboat.com/Page.aspx/diid/7557919/list/InventoryList/pageId/103490/view/Details/2007-Chaparral-SSi-210.aspx

I don't know, seems kind of weak for the intended use. I think it would be worth your while to try to negotiate a lower price on the 300HP one.

Wow, thanks for all the quick comments, great info!

​I'm excited to figure this boat puzzle out...

07 210 - 220 HP - 45hrs - 20K + 2K shipping + Tower + Stuff = 22k

07 210 - 300 HP - 300HRS w/ Tower - 26K + 1K shipping and stuff = 27K

I would opt for the bigger engine given the expected tow duties.

Also 45hrs on a 2007 boat is unusually low.... this means the boat could have sat around a bunch... you could still have "new boat" problems that need to be sorted out as it has been run so little.

300 hrs on a 2007 is ~50hrs per season which is "average" for many boaters.

+1 on the tower... with 8 kids on board and ~4 wake boards + skis, you want a tower with board racks. This will keep the wake boards off the floor of the boat and the skis can go in the ski locker.

my 0.02.

I agree on the bigger engine based on once you absorbed the purchase and the expense is behind you what remains is years of enjoying the right choice based on the "enjoy" value. Yes you would enjoy your thrifty heritage moment in the short term based on "my scotch/irish heritage must save the money and "WIN" the game of shopping for a cheap $^&" and then not enjoy the following years as much as not giving in to that "WIN" moment followed by years of enjoying a better boat for your needs, IMO. I think a boat is something you purchase based on needs and wants and figure out the finances accordingly, like make concessions in age and hours where good maintenance is evident vs. conceding boat performance to accommodate price, IMO. I wouldn't let the price quest be the overriding goal over all others.

Louis

Installing a tower will NOT be cheap. Recommend going with a new Roswell AVX with the integrated bimini if you wanted to add a tower that won't totally break the bank, while still being able to fit different sized boats.

The boat in the link is the later style Sport seating with the removal cushions over the center of the engine cover and rear bench. Agree with others that should the boat have a larger engine, your fuel bill with be LOWER, overall engine noise will be quieter, and general satisfaction will be higher.

A rev limiter is where the ECM protects the engine from going past a certain RPM limit. Cuts spark to the cylinders until the engine RPM comes back down below what is deemed safe. On our boat. I have the boat hit the rev limiter at wide open throttle with a light load. Normally we drive the boat loaded up, and want the extra hole shot and mid range - when loaded fully, it runs in the lower range of the recommended RPM range. i.e. 4.3L MPI is 4400-4800 at WOT. Rev limiter usually kicks in around 4950. You'll know if you hit the rev limiter - engine makes a braappp...brappp...sound while the audio alarm come on.

Lastly, in cool temperatures, an engine makes maximum hp. Come summer with high humidity level and soaring temperatures, along with a dirty boat boat take away hp and performance.

Perfect Pass costs around $ 1300, and install takes roughly 4 hours. A SUPER upgrade for what you want to do with the boat. Factor in some money to install a SeaDek swim platform pad like Ski'ya Later and Neal C have put on their 210 SSi boats. Another amazing upgrade for safety and comfort.

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?showtopic=20426

Smart tabs may affect the shape of the wake. Hence, going with say a 5.7L/ 350 Mag is ideal IMHO.

My guess is the reason the boat is so cheap is because of the 4.3 V6. Switching to a lower pitch prop will help overcome the lack of a V8. Kinda like running a car in first or second gear. Won't be good for cruising, but sounds like that is not an issue for you. No question on adding a tower. It is a "must have" for wake boarding. Extended swim platforms are also top of the list. Any chance to test the boat with a bunch of big friends along?

brick

Another question: If I go with the 4.3 (that's a big if at this point) and the boat is a bit under powered but price it right. Will it damage the engine to be put under such stain over the next 5 to 8 years?

Thanks for replies on a Sunday!

Well, I'll just say that it will be alot easier on the 350 MAG. It wouldn't damage the 4.3. I think damage is a little too strong of a word. Think of it as buying a truck to tow your boat. I'll use my 02 Explorer (easy, GM guys) as an example. The V-6 could have pulled my boat but I opted for the V-8. I'm very happy that I made that decision.

I think tomnjo's point is valid and perhaps even understated. I recall an article in Car & Driver when they interviewed Lingenfelter who had just hopped up Vette and he also did marine performance applications. His comments stayed with me, because the gist of what he said is that his worst, most abusive, auto customers could not hold a candle to duty cycle demands of his marine application customers, even if they were super gentle. Which makes sense. When was the last time you ran a car engine at 65% to 80% of it's Max RPM range for 20 minutes straight. In a car, that's insane. In a boat, it's called cruising. A short cruise at that. It's only my biased opinion, but I believe in buying more power in marine applications.

I hope this view is helpful and wish you luck on your decision.

I think tomnjo's point is valid and perhaps even understated. I recall an article in Car & Driver when they interviewed Lingenfelter who had just hopped up Vette and he also did marine performance applications. His comments stayed with me, because the gist of what he said is that his worst, most abusive, auto customers could not hold a candle to duty cycle demands of his marine application customers, even if they were super gentle. Which makes sense. When was the last time you ran a car engine at 65% to 80% of it's Max RPM range for 20 minutes straight. In a car, that's insane. In a boat, it's called cruising. A short cruise at that. It's only my biased opinion, but I believe in buying more power in marine applications.

I hope this view is helpful and wish you luck on your decision.

Thanks Bill, I was trying not to overstate. :scratchchin: Also good point about the RPMs. I do believe that the 4.3 will, shall we say, get tired a little sooner. Also, as a side note, I really don't trust a boat with too few hours. My 10 year old boat had 325 hours on it when I purchased it, about 30 hours per year. I was also lucky enough to find the mechanic who serviced it and all of the service records reflected a pretty consistent year to year usage and maintenance.

Doing the kind of watersports you are talking about, you are NOT going to damage that engine. The engine will do what it can do with the prop that you pair with it. "Underpowered" does not always mean "it won't do something", it most often means "it doesn't get to the speed I want fast enough to suit me". In other words, it is a preference thing - if you prefer to go fast very quickly at full capacity, then you buy the biggest engine you can. If you have a budget that says a 4.3 is as much as you can spend, then maybe you have 7 kids at a time instead of 8, or you have 8 kids and not another adult and each one of the kids takes turns to be your spotter for the ones you are pulling around the lake.

I wouldn't make this any more complicated than necessary.

I thought I had heard that John Lingenfelter had apparently designed the intake manifolds for the older style 350 Mag MPI, 454 Mag MPI, and 502 Mag MPI. The big block intake may have been the same model used on the 500 EFI. At any rate, that man knows his stuff.

kn101.jpg

It will not hurt it if the boat is propped correctly. Just make sure you are not overpropped and lugging the engine.

brick

I've been boat shopping and I think I have possibly settled on an 07 210 SSI with the 5.7 Mech 350 Mag. Cost is about 6k more but comes with a tower.

Some one was recently telling me I should look into the 214 Sunesta with 5.7 cause there's more space. Thoughts?

Here is pic of boat I'm thinking of: