Mhans

Battery wiring

I know people have asked this type of question before...sorry for repetition and my ignorance.

The mechanic pulled my 2 batteries from my 2011 Sunesta 264 at the end of last season . I am reinstalling them now. I do not have a wiring diagram and the are several cables to be attached...large yellow (ground?) and red (+) and then smaller black and then thenDTS harness with black and red. Does anybody have a description/pic or instruction? How do I tell which battery is number1 and number2?

Thanks....just don't want to x-wire.

Thanks again

Mike

Yellow is 12 volt ground, as are the black wires. Red is 12 volt positive. The smaller red and black wires are for the power trim pump.

Should be 1 large red wire per battery, and one large yellow wire per battery. There might also be a single 2' long yellow wire as well; if so, it will need to be connected on the negative posts for each battery as well. If the batteries are on either side of the engine compartment, you won't have a short ground wire.

Turn the battery switch to the 'off' position.

Attach 1 of the large red cables to the positive post on one of the batteries - leave the other large red cable disconnected.

Attach one large yellow cable to each negative post - just finger tight for now.

Attach the short large gauge yellow cable to the negative posts on the 2 batteries (if equipped that way) - again, just finger tight for now

Turn the battery switch to the # 1 position. If the radio comes on right away (and/or lights, etc. if any switches are turned on) than that red cable is for # 1.

if no response,

Turn the battery switch to the # 2 position. If the radio comes on right away (and/or lights, etc. if any switches are turned on) than that red cable is for # 2.

If there is no response, even with the battery switch in the 'all' position, something is amiss.

If your boat came with both batteries from the factory, that means it will have an automatic charging relay. The way the ACR system is wired on from the factory for your boat, while running the engine on the water, it is important to keep the battery switch in the # 1 position so that the engine's alternator can charge either battery as required and determined by the ACR. When in the # 2 position, the ACR only allows the alternator to charge the # 2 battery. Thus, it is vital we find out which large red wire is really for # 1 battery. (they should be marked on the cable from the factory, but often they're not. However, even if marked, one wants to double check)

Next, you will need to see what type of batteries you have. If you have one cranking battery, and one deep cycle battery, it is again vital that the cranking battery be attached to the # 1 red battery cable.

Once you figure out which large gauge red battery cable is for # 1 battery, mark it with tape and a pen, label maker, whatever.

Next, ensure the base of the threaded post section on the battery terminals is clean. The ss threaded section of the post doesn't matter as much as the lead bottom for both the positive and negative terminals.

Next, place and secure the cranking battery in whichever battery hold down tray in required, and attach the # 1 large gauge battery cable, the DTS clean power, and the small red power trim wire to the positive post. Tighten securely, making sure of course the other end of the wrench doesn't touch the negative battery post.

Next, place the negative cables onto the negative terminals for each battery. If you have the short large gauge yellow cable, connect it to the negative terminals on each battery. Tighten the nuts, again making sure that the wrench doesn't touch the positive post(s)

Lastly, test everything to ensure things work correctly for you.

NOTE: you will most likely see a little spark when you connect the battery cables, as the radio memory draws power, and the radio should automatically come on each time a battery is disconnected.

Let me know if this makes sense.

If the mechanic pulled the cables off ?

He is SUPPOSED to put them back on & test everything is working correctly.