Sign in to follow this  
Zialater

New impeller and spelunking for broken blades....VP 5.7 GXi

Howdy,

Just an FYI posting of my experience with my new-to-me Chap.

Occasionally I have been getting an alarm at prolonged high speeds although the water temp was not high. So I replaced the impeller in my 2006 256SSI (VP 5.7). It appears to be the first time the impeller has been changed since there was still red paint on the pump bolts. Boat has 215 hours. Anyway, the old impeller was missing two full blades and they were nowhere to be seen in the pump. Ayeeeee! Bad news for an amateur mechanic.

I then traced the water output line to the thermostat and removed it (it was much easier than it looked to remove). Happily, I found both blades nestled in the thermostat input. A little prodding and poking and cleaning, replaced the thermo, O-ring and gasket. And she's up and running cool and smooth. VP says to replace the impeller every year or 50hrs (53 deer) - so now that I am an expert, I will tackle the impeller next season as well.

I got a lot of good info on this forum before attempting the job - it's a great resource - thanks a million to all you posters!

Joe

Good job. I change mine every two years - it's a pain on a Merc. If it was a Volvo, I would do it every year.

brick

Nice .. You got lucky. I had a buddy that lost a couple vanes and they got past the t-stat. He had overheat issues for months until he tracked down the remaining rubber that was blocking water flow.