OldChap

Fuel Leak at Fuel Pump Fitting

I recently had my dealer install a new fuel pump assembly in my Volvo 5.0 GXI. The next outing I noticed a fuel leak at the "L" fitting between the fuel line and the fuel pump. It was actually a rather healthy drip every 3 seconds or so.. Had some fuel in the engine compartment floor area. Made me very glad I decided to POP the engine compartment open and simply have a look while idling on the water..

The fittings are all very tight... I called the dealer and they are now telling me they were supposed to use some type of sealant at the fitting (which they didn't). I'm very surprised they didn't know this ahead of time.. They have told me they are inquiring with Chaparral the type of sealant required..

Anyone here have any experience or knowledge regarding this fuel fitting sealant?

Thanks,
Rob

As you pointed out, always good to lift the motor box and take a look, especially after work is done. Glad you didn't go BOOM.

brick

and this is why I'm never scared to do my own work... clearly I know as much as most mechanics...

Kyle

You know a Friggin lot more.

None of us would send out a boat with a fuel leak. If the mechanic did not see the fuel leak . He is far worse than us.

Fuel system repairs DO REQUIRE a lot more running at different speeds to be sure there are no leaks.

Shop should have a standing order. ANY critical jobs go to experienced mechanics. ONLY

OldChap

I hope you have more shops to pick from.

I called the dealer and they are now telling me they were supposed to use some type of sealant at the fitting (which they didn't). I'm very surprised they didn't know this ahead of time.. They have told me they are inquiring with Chaparral the type of sealant required..

Anyone here have any experience or knowledge regarding this fuel fitting sealant?

If they need to ask Chap about this ... change the service shop. It's plumbing 101 ... use the sealant on all threaded connections.

In this case, natural gas and/or gasoline rated sealant or teflon tape (yellow) is required. Natural gas certified plumber and gasoline certified mechanic should know this.

Glad you caught it in time ... gasoline vapor in the closed engine compartment is not a joke.

The sealant I use on fuel fittings is Permatex aviation form-a-gasket sealant liquid. Comes in a 4oz container with a brush integrated in the cap. Good stuff.

Teflon seal tape is a no no on hydraulic and especially fuel connections in my opinion. Tape must be carefully applied as directed otherwise it will shred and find it's way into the fuel system and cause problems.Some parts suppliers include a warning that it will void their warranty. Mechanics like it because it is clean and fast to wrap and makes up easy. It can be overtightened and damage the fitting or under tightened and come loose.Takes experience.

I do not know about these specific fittings on the Volvo but some of Merc's fittings come with a sealant on them.

Lame excuse by the dealer that it needs a sealant but they don't know what it is ??

The sealant I use on fuel fittings is Permatex aviation form-a-gasket sealant liquid. Comes in a 4oz container with a brush integrated in the cap. Good stuff.

I use Permatex High Performance thread sealer as well (rated for gasoline and other petro-base fluids/gases). This one comes in squeezable plastic tube with application nozzle. Not good for rubber and plastic ... only for metal threads. Yes, indeed, good stuff.

Teflon seal tape is a no no on hydraulic and especially fuel connections in my opinion. Tape must be carefully applied as directed otherwise it will shred and find it's way into the fuel system and cause problems.Some parts suppliers include a warning that it will void their warranty. Mechanics like it because it is clean and fast to wrap and makes up easy. It can be overtightened and damage the fitting or under tightened and come loose.Takes experience.

The teflon tape is good when applied correctly just to the thread and not beyond and too close to the end of fitting. Otherwise, as you said, it will shred and flow with the fuel clogging the pump. I like using it when preassembling things on the bench with elbow room, time, and patience at hand. The Permatex sealer when working in the cramped engine compartment.

FWIW, when DYI, remember that the teflon tape and sealant must be rated for gasoline.

You didn't clarify or probably don't know the exact place it is leaking from. Good advise on threaded fittings, however, never use anything on the flare fitting if equips like many of ours.

It's also the most likely place the leak is occurring at. Once you tighten it, you almost have to tighten again until you think it's going to bust to seal properly.

Let us know what you find out. Good luck.

Thanks all for your replies.. Sounds like the Permatex thread seal is the way to go.. I am shocked my Chap dealer did not know this...

B&B - the fuel leak is at the "L" fitting where the fuel pump seats up to the fuel supply hose from the tank...