wake my day

Trim tabs and the effects on Wakeboarding

I have a 2007 246ssi and I feel trim tabs would help planing and stability. My family does quite a bit of Wake boarding and wake skating. The wake behind this boat is minimal and a little washed out to begin with. Does anyone know if tabs will decrease wake size. If anyone has an older 246 or 256 hull style with tabs can you please let me know.

Thanks

Rob

Probably, the trim tabs are suppose to lift the stern up and therefore lessen the wake.

But there is an easy solution to your problem ... don't deploy the tabs, and/or (mis)trim the drive out/up and sink the stern.

I dont ski so not sure but tabs will let u plane at slower speeds, real ski boats have ballast tanks that pump water in or out to change there wake,

Thanks for the input guys, I was hoping any members with my size boat could comment. I know quite a few members have installed trim tabs on 256's. Even if you don't wakeboard but you have tabs, can you comment on your wake at about 20 mph. Just trying to make the decision to purchase.

Thanks

We have trim tabs and while they are great for cruising, they are an absolute disaster for wake quality. Completely flattens the lip and washes out the wake. I highly recommend them for your boat, just not during your board sports.

That's correct, if left retracted (up) no issue at all in disturbing the wake. We only use the tabs to level an uneven load, in rough water or slow cruising speeds.

maybe I'm wrong but I swear my wake gets taller and more crisp when I drop the tabs. I use them a lot when I pull the tube because I can keep the bow down while going slow with the little ones on the tube

I have Lenco tabs (factory standard).

Monkeyseall- my initial thought was "not possible" to your comment, but there could be something to the placement of the tabs (more inside or out from drive). In a prior thread and after viewing some pics from another Xtreme owner, the tab placent was very different. Mine were more outside versus theirs being much closer to the out drive. Wondering if this may explain the different experiences in wake impact?

Wake my day- if you are considering tabs, I would take this question to the manufacturer for feedback. Would be a great outcome if the tabs actually enhanced the wake quality instead of destroying it.

I have Lenco tabs (factory standard).

Monkeyseall- my initial thought was "not possible" to your comment, but there could be something to the placement of the tabs (more inside or out from drive). In a prior thread and after viewing some pics from another Xtreme owner, the tab placent was very different. Mine were more outside versus theirs being much closer to the out drive. Wondering if this may explain the different experiences in wake impact?

Wake my day- if you are considering tabs, I would take this question to the manufacturer for feedback. Would be a great outcome if the tabs actually enhanced the wake quality instead of destroying it.

mine are placed more to the inside, near the drive.

IF THE WEATHER EVER COOPERATES and I get out on the water, I'll have to check it out

I put lenco on my 2006 246 last summer. I is worth the money and totally changes the ride of boat. As for waken I had a hard time pulling my daughter at 20 mph and a nice wake. tabs have improved the wake with slower speed. I also have the led indicators and suggest to spend the extra for them.

Hey Wake my day, contact Lenco at info@lencomarine.com with your question about placement up/down the transom wrt the keel & chine. I had some similar questions about my 246 and Chris was very good to respond and give info.

great avatar, btw...

I put lenco on my 2006 246 last summer. I is worth the money and totally changes the ride of boat. As for waken I had a hard time pulling my daughter at 20 mph and a nice wake. tabs have improved the wake with slower speed. I also have the led indicators and suggest to spend the extra for them.

I just had the 12 x 12 Lenco tabs installed and am dying to try them. They were mounted on the outside. One of the goals I was hoping on is a cleaner wake when wake boarding with the bow down at 20 mph. Previously it was very difficult to keep the bow down when only going 20 mph. I would play with the trim and it seems that the better I made the wake the higher the bow.... Unless I speed up to 24+ I was constantly fighting a choppy wake.

I put the trim tabs all the way down for water sports. Helps level out the boat on lower speeds. The trim tabs are great for controling the "list" if you need to adjust port or starboard.

Ok guys, Thanks for all the help and input. I contacted Lenco today and while they had some good advice on what trim tab to purchase they were very little help on the whole wake boarding thing. From what I have dug up is this, install tabs on the far outside; get better boat stabilization but wiped out wake. And of course the complete opposite value when you install them closer to the drive; better wake but not as much boat stability. I believe I am going to split the distance and install the 12 x 12 edge mount Lenco Trim Tabs right at the half way point. Thanks again for the help.

rob

One last thing to think about if you trailer your boat much is tie down placement. Tabs could interfere with normal routing between boat and trailer. Good luck.

This is a great thread - But I don't get it. I just bought a 224 xtreme this year and looked. The tabs are as far outside as they can go. Almost to the point that the trailer tie down straps do not have room. It makes sense that further inside would improve the wake. But why would Chaparral put them outside on a purpose built wake boat???? Probably because Chaparral does not make wake boats I guess. The wakeboard forums would love this thread!

Good thing wake boarding is only 20% of my time or so.

that explains why my tabs improve my wake. I installed them closer to the drive. But let me tell you, they still stabilize the boat very well. I can put 1 tab down and almost put the boat on its side!

MonkeySedall:

Do you have pictures of how close to the outdrive you installed yours? Maybe a measurement?

Thanks