2008 Sunesta 224 questions/help

Hi,

I am looking at a 2008 Sunesta 224 tomorrow as our first family boat. A few questions:

1. First year for the redisgmed Sunesta was 2008, any issues with the first model year?

2. The owner says the boat does not have an hour meter (I.e. Can't figure out how to show it on the display). Can someone help how to display this when I view the boat tomorrow?

3. He does not have a boat cover. Any recommendations for a replacement cover?

Thanks in advance!

I just purchased the same 2008 224 boat several months back. I love the boat and to my knowledge there are no known issues with the 1st year run of them.. If it's Volvo powered the hour meter is built into tachometer/information gauge. It's the top left gauge.. When you first put the key in and power the accessories (should be the 1st turn before starting the engine) the gauge will scroll through and should show you the hours). YOu can also scroll through yourself with either up arrow or down arrow to see hours.. If it's Merc powered I'm sure someone can chime in and assist... I can't imagine a boat left the Chap factory regardless of power plant sans hour gauge... Re the cover- If you are leaving it outside uncovered than a full cover is key.. I have one that came with the boat from previous owner and was custom made.. I'm guessing it wasn't cheap but well worth it.. DO not leave the boat outside with only the factory covers... you need one that covers the entire boat plus...

I hired a marine surveyer whom also conducted sea trial before purchase. It was money well spent before purchase and would highly recommend on any boat purchase.

Good luck! You will love the boat...

Went to see the boat on Sunday and could not find the hour meter in the smart gauge and the current owner was clueless trying to find it. Doesn't matter because the boat was not in great condition on the outside....the hunt continues.

I just bought one...I know it's in there, will pull my manual tonight. It's an awesome boat! would post pics, but the forum won't allow me to link....and I'm not going to scale everything for the forum upload.

Contact toniscanvas dot com, made me a custom cover, my boat has a tower, great quality!

PM me if you want pics.

Any Chaparral with the square digital gauges will display the hours from the ECM.

Unless something is seriously messed up with the square digital tachometer LCD readout, one should be able to find the engine hours. Try turning the key to the 'on' position, wait for it to stop cycling through the various LCD readouts, and then push the down arrow button to get off the default, then push the enter button.

At this point is should have the LCD read out highlighted, and you should then be able with the up and down arrow buttons to scroll through to engine hours. Pushing the enter button again will get you out of the full scroll mode.

NOTE: engine hours on the square digital gauges can't be altered, even with switching out the tachometer. The only way to alter engine hours on this type is by changing the ECM out.

^^^ I have that sport windshield, looks cool, but not very effective. They don't make a center piece for it, so the wind just barrel's through the center isle. In addition, when you sit on the seat, you are too low to see, if flip up the cushion, you are too high and the wind hits you right in the face....sigh! :) I problem I don't mind having, just bend down a little....

*** No idea why I can't post links to pics, sigh ****

Thoughts on the low profile tinted windshield? I found a 2008 224 sunesta not far from me but it has the low profile windshield and not the wrap around.

Pros/Cons?

I DO NOT recommend the low profile windshield for Canadian or northern waters; defeats the whole purpose (up here at least) for helping to reduce the cooling effect from wind when you can't close the windshield in conjunction with the bow door.

Would the low profile windshield be a deal killer? I have found a good deal on a 224 sunesta, the only issue I have with it is the low profile windshield. I have 3 young kids (6,4,2) and not being able to close the windshield and bow door does not seem practical. We live in Oklahoma so can't imagine too many days where we would need to close it up.