beason

interesting water leak symptoms, need advice.

2005 chap 220 ssi with volvo 5.0L GX-i

ive been noticing a fair amount of water in the bilge on our recent outings. couple of gallons after a 4-5 hour trip. The water is still a bit cool, so there isnt any swim action taking place so its not being carried in on our suits and jackets. so i decided to investigate.

I have found the following.

with the boat in the water, no engine running. = no leak

with engine running, i get a slow trickle of water dripping from the back of the block. its not coming down the transom, its actually dripping from before that. I cannot see under there to tell, but it seems like the exhaust runs under there.

it does not, however, do this on the hose at home.

The PO told me they just had the risers replaced right before i bought the vessel, could it be an issue with the install of these causing the leak? could it be the water pickup tube from the lower?

Any ideas??

Can't help, but one observation that might be consistent with your suspicion ... exhaust pipes.

When boat is in the water, the drive and exhaust system is flooded and there is positive water pressure up to certain level. When boat is on muffs, the exhaust system is not flooded from drive up, and the only water there comes from the engine cooling system in rather sparse quantity and no pressure.

Does that mean to look at the rubber boots and hose clamps on the exhaust? Denny.

I try and use a digital camera and reach in and snap a bunch of pics then see if the pics show anything, can get a camera in where my face can't.

Check the hose clamps of the big rubber exhaust tubes. 1 should be loose from engine heating & vibration.

Also check thee intake water hose from the drive to the sea pump hose clamp could be lose or hose cracked.

thanks guys, ill check it out as soon as i can get to the storage unit. I hope its an easy fix. I was scared when i saw water in there, as ive had one with ripped bellows that cost a good bit to replace.

I had the same problem with my old Sunesta. Come to find out the rubber connecter hose on the risers had a crack and needed replace. Might check those.

Is the water in the bilge warm?

this is something i did not check, but i know where your going with it. thanks for the tip.

If the water is warm, it is coming from the motor. If cold, from the lake.

brick

ok, so she is still in dry dock (storage unit) but i did get out there and try to have a look. I cant see anything back there, or even get my phone in there to take pics of anything.

I did snug up the 16 bands around the pipe 4 on each side on the top, and 4 on each side behind the engine. They were not tight, but not shaking lose either.

anyone have a picture of the back of this engine so i know what to do next?

found this. its a 8.1, but should be similar in connections.

$T2eC16RHJFoE9nh6nwCEBQpnrbz8rw~~60_1.JP

i tightened up the ones you see on top, and on the sides. how does it connect to the collector there at the bottom? i cant tell if it has clamp bands or not. that seems like where it would be coming from.

So, this is how it looks and connects from behind ... I could only feel and imagine.

Thanks for finding and sharing this photo ... :)

The only thing holding the engine in place are rubber hoses & clamps !!!!!!!!

Back when I first acquired my boat I had the same problem with my rubber connectors. I just cranked the clamps tighter and they stopped leaking.

ok so i got it home this eveing in anticipation of tomorrows boat trip, and figured id try to get this fixed. I put it on the hose and here is what i found.

with the hose on, and the engine off. no leak. with the engine started i get a slow dribble leak very far back in the engine bay. I climbed in as far as i could but could not get a clear view of where its coming from. I did however feel around the exhaust piping below the 4 clamps on each side on the downpipe and its dry. warm, but dry.

I could not reach the drip to see if it is warm or not.

does anyone know if the Y collector has any seals on it? or if its all cast and one piece? its either that or the intake hose, but i can only assume that this hose would be under vacuum when the boat is running in the lake, and it would suck air, instead of leak water out.

any suggestions?

I've had a leaky boat since I have had it....3 years now. I found the front cooler drain tube was never connected to the drain port so I was literally driving around lake with a exposed hole in my hull. That helped the problem, but still have water coming in from somewhere and still can't find it. I have to pump it out every hour or so......good luck with yours.

Might want to check your cooler drain port hose connection up front. We have just about the same boat.

I've had a leaky boat since I have had it....3 years now. I found the front cooler drain tube was never connected to the drain port so I was literally driving around lake with a exposed hole in my hull. That helped the problem, but still have water coming in from somewhere and still can't find it. I have to pump it out every hour or so......good luck with yours.

Might want to check your cooler drain port hose connection up front. We have just about the same boat.

holy crap, i was just thinking that could be an issue. I know i have a slow dribble leak from the rear of the engine, but that doesnt account for the amount of water im getting inside. We had a full house last outing and had stuff stored under the front seats, and found out the stuff was wet, along with the interior of the drivers console. I think its that drain tube like you said.

now. the next question. how do you get to it?

Up front under the dry storage compartment on the right side there's a panel with some stainless steel screws. Just remove those, removing the panel and that'll give you access to the cooler drain tube. Good luck......

I had a very simular problem - in water, engine not running = no leak. in water, engine running, water leaking in near rear of engine (I could not see where). Removed outdrive and after very close inspection, found a very small tear in the top of the drive shaft bellow. Very glad I carefully inspected the bellows. Once that tear would have gotten bigger, it could have / would have sunk my boat.

I had a very simular problem - in water, engine not running = no leak. in water, engine running, water leaking in near rear of engine (I could not see where). Removed outdrive and after very close inspection, found a very small tear in the top of the drive shaft bellow. Very glad I carefully inspected the bellows. Once that tear would have gotten bigger, it could have / would have sunk my boat.

I can't really add anything new, but I can say that I have never had a boat with a completely dry bilge. There is always some amount of water. Certainly not gallons as you stated, but would be curious if you do find any more areas that might be the cause

Up front under the dry storage compartment on the right side there's a panel with some stainless steel screws. Just remove those, removing the panel and that'll give you access to the cooler drain tube. Good luck......

i took a quick look this evening and shining a flashlight up the drain hole from the outside, i can see the hose ribs. i was a little let down, but it may just be loose, or the other end on the bottom of the cooler may be the part that is off. i still have hope!

I can't really add anything new, but I can say that I have never had a boat with a completely dry bilge. There is always some amount of water. Certainly not gallons as you stated, but would be curious if you do find any more areas that might be the cause

i agree, if we were swimming and such. but the first couple of outings, the water was too cold for any of that, it was just a cruse and lunch trip. it should have been very little if any water then.