Pawman

Catalona trip - who's in ?

40 posts in this topic

Guys.....reading some if the threads, there seems to be a number of us that either do and want to do the trip over to Catalina. Am suggesting a trip in the coming months where we can maybe make the crossing together so that those who have never done it ( incl me) can maybe travel over with those who are experienced. Any interest?

Yes, we're interested.

I been over one other time, stopping in Avalon for a few hours, then heading up to the Isthmus for a burger. Came back to San Pedro harbor, mid afternoon, not staying overnight.

We went by ourselves last time but would like to try with another boat for safety, etc.

Let us know if you have a day in mind.

Guys.....reading some if the threads, there seems to be a number of us that either do and want to do the trip over to Catalina. Am suggesting a trip in the coming months where we can maybe make the crossing together so that those who have never done it ( incl me) can maybe travel over with those who are experienced. Any interest?

My boat should (hopefully) be in the water by or around Memorial day. I'll need a few weeks for shakedown and make sure I'm comfortable its ready for the haul, but if the timing works out, count me in! I'd be coming up from San Diego and meeting whoever...

Thanks guys.....the Flotilla is growing ! I was thinking July ish? Want to avoid June gloom fog and hopefully have some smooth calmer seas....how does that work for everyone?

Thanks guys.....the Flotilla is growing ! I was thinking July ish? Want to avoid June gloom fog and hopefully have some smooth calmer seas....how does that work for everyone?

I think July sounds OK - should be set by then. We're actually thinking of taking a few days off (perhaps a week) and cruising up the coast, staying in Catalina for a few days then heading back. So if it works out, would love to rendezvous with others. Not sure yet on our dates - trying to get the boat put in the water so I can shake it down. And we're planning kids summer camps etc. which will let us focus on some available dates. Keep us in formed on the forum when others are thinking about it and perhaps we can make it work!

Ben

That sounds fine....we will chose a day that works for everyone. Is week days an option or does it have to be weekends? Either way, I suggest a dawn departure....

I could do it the week after July 4th. Probably easier to get a spot to park for several boats. Does Tuesday, July 8th work? I am pretty flexible if a weekend day is necessary, just more boat traffic.

Your thoughts?

August should be fine - still working out kids summer camps etc - should have those locked in by end of this week...then I have a better idea what my availability is...

So far it looks like we'll leave San Diego on Aug 9 (Saturday) and will have that following week off. I've never been to Catalina; thinking we will (of course, depending on weather) make an early AM run and stay till Wednesday or Thursday then head back - but depends on where the wind (and our outdrives) take us...

From what I am told....it's better to cross over from Long Beach. Are you planning to come up the coast to LB and then cross over with us?

From what I am told....it's better to cross over from Long Beach. Are you planning to come up the coast to LB and then cross over with us?

I have made the trip dozens of time. I like to leave from Huntington Marina. Takes a little more than an hour and Half to get there. It will be very difficult to get a morning during the summer on a weekend.. weekdays are great. Half day mooring I like the same price as 4 gallons of gas. I leave around 730 am, get there around 900. Have breakfast, walk around a while...then head home around 100pm. Get back to Huntington around 300 or so.

I woild love to go again. I have every other Wednesday off. Would just need to check my calender..

Ok....so we are looking at early - mid August.....looks like 4 boats so far.

If we go from HB....any issues with leaving card and trailer there?

Ok....so we are looking at early - mid August.....looks like 4 boats so far.

If we go from HB....any issues with leaving card and trailer there?

No problem at all with overnight parking

That's what I'm thinking. I'm told getting moorings on the weekend can be problematic so perhaps we cruise up the coast and hole up in a fun harbor somewhere for the weekend, then head to Catalina Monday AM.

I would be interested in going. I have never made the trip but I think I will have tried it solo by August. I can go out of Hunnington or San Pedro, let me know when!

That's great....we are looking at early - mid August.....does that work for everyone? Early departure, then return early afternoon....

I would be interested in going. I have never made the trip but I think I will have tried it solo by August. I can go out of Hunnington or San Pedro, let me know when!

So Cal RV,

If you want to coordinate going sooner, let me know. We could do it sometime in June.

I'm headed to Lake Mead just after Memorial Day weekend for 4 days next week but could do it shortly after.

I launch out of Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro.

Your thoughts?

I was thinking of trying to avoid June Gloom fog....but would be open to earlier.....I would rather have a visual of Catalina as I don't have radar