Pawman

Catalona trip - who's in ?

40 posts in this topic

Right now we're looking at making the trip August - probably the 2nd week. Who knows about mooring there? I've had some tell me you can reserve -maybe in twin harbor? But Avalon is first come first served? If that's true, the way I'm thinking is maybe reserve in twin harbor for Saturday and Sunday an dspend some time exploring that area. Then shift to Avalon on Monday and grab one first thing and play around there for a few days. Likely be coming back Thursday or Friday to relax for the weekend. Any others in the area please stop by and say hi! If it works out that people are heading over on the day I am, and if I happen to get to the area roughly the same time - would love to caravan over. Either way if you see me moored honk and say hi - stop by for a cold one if you want!

Ben

So Cal RV,

If you want to coordinate going sooner, let me know. We could do it sometime in June.

I'm headed to Lake Mead just after Memorial Day weekend for 4 days next week but could do it shortly after.

I launch out of Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro.

Your thoughts?

I would be interested in going sooner. I just bought the boat, it has radar and auto pilot, and I don't know how to operate any of it. I can be ready to go anytime in June, was hoping to do some fishing there as well.

Hey Guys and Gals, I've been out to Catalina numerous times out of LB, Newport, and Huntington. All you need is a good GPS and compass. Also, check the wave charts and forcast for a couple of days in advanced to make sure you are not hitting 6-9 foot waves out there. I've got caught comming back in 7 foot waves and it got interesting.

Saul ;)

Hey So Cal RV,

I think I saw your boat on the showroom a couple of years ago. Nice ride but the premium for the engine was outrageous. Hope you didn't pay as much as the previous owner.

Saul ; )

I was thinking of trying to avoid June Gloom fog....but would be open to earlier.....I would rather have a visual of Catalina as I don't have radar

Understood. I too like to see my destination rather then looking at a electronics or guessing. Some days are Crystal clear but others, as you note, are pretty overcast in June.

I think it would work best if we can decide to go, several days before , when we know what the weather will be like. How much time do you guys need to make a commitment?

Weekdays are best, weekend traffic will get crazy.

Any of these days...June 4-8 or the 18-22 for a day trip.

I need a week or so.....I am off work the 2nd week of July....how does that sound....the 10-17 July time frame?

July 15th for a day trip would work for me.

Hi all,

Also posted my Lake Mead trip on another post here but have some work to do to get my lower unit on my outdrive fixed. Hope to have it done way before this trip.

I guess I'm glad it happened now, not on the water half way between here and Catalina.

I'll ink the date in my calendar.

Thanks all.

I'm still working to week of August 11. Trying to get the kinks worked out of my new-to-me Sig 300. I will be out all this weekend cruising San Diego and taking notes. If all continues to go well, still have to do some logistics around my daughter's school orientation - trying to get that done prior so we're free for the entire weekend then week. Not sure if you guys decided to go the week prior. If you do, drop some hints/cool things not to miss! I think there may be another boat with me, so we'll be cruising together.

Fingers crossed - it went in the water (finally) Friday. Runs great!

Hi all,

Sorry I haven't posted earlier but I'm still in the middle of fixing my outdrive. I had the piƱon nut strip off the vertical shaft and repairing it is more involved then anticipated.

There's a bulletin for my year Bravo 1 of this problem and I'll try and post pictures soon.

I haven't seen others still commenting on this next week so not sure it's still on?

Hopefully, the August trip will fit into my plans.

Hi Guys...if this is still happening I may be in. I've made the trip 4-5 times from Oceanside. Would go either Aug 9-10th or Aug 11-13 but have to be in Oceanside night of the 10th.

I'm still working it out. Probably leaving San Diego Aug 11, but I'm working logistics around my daughter's school registration, which happens (of course) to be on the 11th. So...I'm trying to get a pre-registration done so I can leave out early AM, but may leave later in the day. My first stop planned is Dana Point where I'll refuel, then if the weather is OK will head on over. If weather is not OK, will leave Dana Point early AM on the 12th. Planning to head to the Isthmus first, likely returning on Friday 15th.

FYI - as of this past weekend, we're definitely going over. Two possible float plans depending on my being able to get my daughter pre-registered for school (official day is, of course, Monday Aug 11 which is the week I have taken off work).

Option 1 - assuming I get the registration fiasco sorted:

Saturday Aug 9 planning to leave out of San Diego fairly early - still have to get the dinghy strapped down and the boat loaded, then out of there. My plan is not to chance Catalina on a summer weekend so we're heading to Newport where we'll hook up with some family and friends and cruise Newport area Saturday afternoon/Sunday. Top off Water and Fuel tanks Sunday night prior to turning in for the night.

Monday Aug 11 - get up and out early and head to the Isthmus where I will (hopefully) have a mooring ball reserved under the new system. Still need to do some research there. Either way my assumption is we can find a nice place to moor in Two Harbors area. We'll play around the island, on and off-island activities Monday - Wednesday, then Wednesday night cruise up the island to Avalon. Get a mooring ball, dinghy to the beach and enjoy Avalon Thursday. Plan is to cruise from Avalon to Dana Point on Friday (unless we're having so much fun we can't stand to leave, which would push to Saturday) - fuel in Dana Point then cruise back to San Diego.

If anyone else happens to be out and about I'll be monitoring VHF 16 - New Beginnings is the name of the boat - give a call! Would love to meet some other Chappy owners!

Note - If we do NOT get Option 1 as I'm planning - we will skip newport and the plan will be to cruise from SD to Dana Point, top off the tanks and head on over - it will be Monday afternoon unless the weather's too choppy in which case we'll stay in SD Monday and cruise to DP for fuel then to 2 Harbors on Tuesday, see what we can Tuesday and Wednesday, still cruise to Avalon Wednesday night then plan on a Friday run back to SD unless weather or downright fun wants to keep us there an extra day.

FYI - just a follow up. We did Catalina last week! Ended up cruising from San Diego to Dana Point on Wednesday, refueled then cruised to Two Harbors. The water was fairly choppy - we left San Diego 8am, cruised into Dana Point about 11:30am. Fueled up and headed over - got to Two Harbors around 3pm (really rough the last hour). Awesome trip - the Sig 300 did great! We had a great time there, met some nice people, saw one other Chaparral (a 330 i think). Cruised back Saturday - got out of Two Harbors at 7am, cruised into Dana Point at 9am, refueled (98 gallons which included about 12 hours of generator use while there) then cruised back to San Diego, getting in about 11:30am. Great trip - will do it again!