SMLWinds

Vinyl Repair vs. Replacement

24 posts in this topic

I managed to gash the rear stern seat (directly in front of the engine; the center stern seat) on my 2011 206 SSI with a wakeboard fin. The rip is probably about 3 inches. I had it priced to get it repaired by an upholstery shop and it costs $175.

My questions are: 1) Is that a reasonable price?

2) Would I be better off to just buy an entirely new cushion?

3) If I wanted to buy a new cushion, how much does that cost and is there anywhere online where I can purchase it?

Thanks!

You could repair yourself with a vinyl kit from West marine, Overton's for way less than that. Or a shop will charge around $200-$300+ for new vinyl skin ( keeping the same cushion).

The repair will do the job, it will look not so great. Maybe get you through the season?

If cost & wait time is an issue.

Are these repair kits you are talking about just patch the hole? Cost really isn't an issue, which is why I was just considering purchasing a whole new cushion but I don't know how much they cost. I thought $175 seemed a bit steep to do a few minutes of sewing but I admit I may not know everything that is involved in the repair. Thanks!

With the cut being 3", I would just have it recovered. However, if they couldnt get it back to you quickly and it meant missing lake time, I would just put some matching duct tape on it until you can get it in.

I had exactly the same situation on my last boat. I duct taped it pending a repair in the off-season. However, duct tape isn't 100% waterproof and after getting caught in a few rainshowers I had water in the foam padding which then led to a nasty case of mold that permeated the entire cushion, including the part facing down into the engine compartment.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other on repair vs replace but I would recommend tending sooner rather than later to avoid problems.

It's a recent Chaparral! Call your dealer and order a new skin. Have your local marine canvas shop swap it out.

brick

Does the seat cover have a colored pattern in several vinyl sections? If so, and given that this is a fairly new boat, I would just replace the torn section (depending on the cushion cover pattern, it may be a small strip, triangle or whatever).

From your handle, are you on Smith Mountain Lake? If they are just replacing a section, that's a might steep for that location. If they are replacing then entire cover, then it's a good price. Make sure they use the same weight and quality replacement vinyl.

3" in a pretty good tear. Very likely that it will tear again if repaired and stressed. Replace the cover with a new one. I had a small puncture hole repaired by a local upholstery shop and I struggle to find the repair now. 3" repair is going to be hard to hide.

For how many years can you order vinyl seat cover replacents from Chaparral?

Can I order ready-to-install vinyl replacement coxkpit seat covers for my 2005 Signature 290, or for the latest year that they produced the same model?

No support for MY 2005. I think Chaparral goes back five years, at the most. 

It's too bad, as it would be a real profit opportunity for Chaparral dealers (anyone listening  at Corporate?).

brick

Can you post a photo of the damage and show the stern seat to show us the damage in relation to the seat? I help a guy out that has a boat canvas shop, and sometimes the seats are difficult to take apart, not alone getting them out of the boat. Denny.

Drive around boat yards with junkers in the back.  Might get lucky.

Do a new cover.

175 bucks doesn't seem so bad. Is it marine vinyl or some light weight material. 

ive seen some repairs done that looked like factory and lasted, and were cheaper than that.  not sure what new skins cost, might be cheaper to do it local with new skins.

Out of curiosity, does changing the original vinyl to replacement vinyl change the value of the boat? Do you want to keep it authentic or replica?

3 hours ago, SST said:

Out of curiosity, does changing the original vinyl to replacement vinyl change the value of the boat? Do you want to keep it authentic or replica?

I think it's depends on if what you have is a collectable or not.

4 hours ago, Auggie said:

I think it's depends on if what you have is a collectable or not.

I don't think it matters on a boat. 

brick

15 hours ago, brick said:

I don't think it matters on a boat. 

brick

Then I stand corrected. Goes to show you I don't @#$%@# about boats:blink:

On 11/23/2017 at 0:41 PM, Auggie said:

Then I stand corrected. Goes to show you I don't @#$%@# about boats:blink:

Just my opinion. I  am no expert. If I was buying a used boat, and it had a quality replacement interior...

On 11/23/2017 at 1:06 PM, brick said:

Just my opinion. I  am no expert. If I was buying a used boat, and it had a quality replacement interior

Regardless of the the value, what I feel is important to resale value is, to duplicate and copy the original design and color. If you veer from that , no mater how nice it looks, it will look like it was changed and added on. Kind of like the difference between SST's boat and mine, his is of the original design. Not that his or mine is worth more, but because of my adding the arch, (that they never made one for our boat), I have narrowed down the number of people who would buy my boat, that are looking for an original 1985 235 XLC, regardless of condition. 

Look up Dr. Vinyl or similar type business, they can repair that and make it look like new.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 0:32 PM, SST said:

negative.  I think a buyer at least I would be interested in overall condition of the vinyl, and the quality of it.  tears rips, mis matched colors etc would bring down value.  as long as you had good replacements and a good install I'm not sure most people would even know the difference.