Reyone

Engine makes a whining sound

I was getting 2008 235 SSi with a 5.0 ready for the summer this weekend. Change oil, engine and Tx. Started the engine before taking the oil out no problem. Replace the oil and filter and started the engine to check for leaks and operation. Engine started strong and quick. After a few seconds the engine started to make a "whining" sound struggle to stay running and the shut down. Restarted the engine two more times with the same results. Check oil level, leaks and oil pressure while the engine run no apparent problem. Check the manual which recommend to replace the fuel filter ( that was my next step to get my boat ready), replaced the fuel filter now the engine start and remains running but the whining sound still there. I am in the process to take all the fuel out and replace it with fresh fuel. I think I am going in the right direction but before I have to take it to a mechanic; does anyone recommend any other check???

Thank You

5.0 l what???? If Merc...sounds like the IAC to me.

If that other kind ;). Possible fuel pump issues

Does it whine if you only turn the ignition key to ON......But do not go to starter ?

Cyclops2

Yes, actually it does. When I turn the key to "on" I can hear the "whining", faintly, but surely there. Ideas???

To: Brian S, is a 5.0 GSI

Thanks to both of You

Is your bilge blower always on ? Make sure that bilge blower switch is OFF.

Could also be the high pressure fuel pump as Duane suggested.

Age can cause more than 1 part to fail at the same time. You might have had a almost full of crud Fuel filter & a pump going bad at the same time.

Time for a possible H P or L P fuel pump............Disconnect power to the fuel pump. Noise should not be heard if it is the pump.

Might be .....$$ BOAT $$.....time...........Break out another thousand. Hope not.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Yes, everything indicate is the fuel pump. I just need to find a good shop to do the job although thinking about doing it myself. If anyone has done this any tips will be appreciated.

Again thanks

The Volvo pumps need to be "wet" as running them dry means premature death. Fill the filter and cycle the pump on/off with the key switch several times before starting engine. Other than that the pumps (2) are a simple, straight forward change-out, but expensive....

W

Thanks everyone for the advice. Will do it myself, waiting time on all shops around my area are at least 2 weeks, wish me luck.

Again, thanks everyone.

Reyone

Electric fuel pumps do whine somewhat as normal operation. I don't know if I'd just replace it because it whines a little.

Clean the fuel screen next to fuel pressure regulator after fuel filter if you have EFI only goodluck

And just for fun, check the fitting at the fuel tank. There's a check-ball in there and on mine I got sand (or something) in the tank and it was clogging at the check-ball on the fitting. I ended up installing another fuel filter/water separator and moving those fittings with the check-balls to the output of that - works great and the filter now catches anything coming out of the tank before it gets to the check-ball. But it was starving my fuel pump - ultimately killed it. Around 600 deer for one...hurts.