jdockhorn

Bellows replace

First time boat owner. I have a 1997 7.4 merc, with a bravo one. The drive bellows is shot. I have been a auto and auto body mechanic for 30 yrs. Is this a job that can be tackled. Are there any must have special tools needed. Thanks for the advice in advance Jeff

Look on You Tube. They have some video's on bellow replacement. See if they mention any special tools needed. I personally am a handy mechanic on automobiles. But for my boat, I have a boat mechanic work on it. I don't want to make the repair, then have a weekend planned on the lake and have issues because I was not 100% sure.

Yes, several special tools are needed, such as a prop wrench and a few other Mecruiser tools. If you have the tools it's probably not that big of a deal, not unlike working on cars or on your yard. It's all about the tools and common sense.

If you have the capability to fabricate tools then you're really in business!

Had to have ours replaced a couple of years ago. Four hundred, maybe a bit more, but done quickly and no leaks since!

However, I do store our boat with the drive down now. Less stress on the bellows.

30-803100T1

865437A02

805320A03

There are some special tools you'll need. Mainly to install the retainer for the U-joint bellows, getting the shift measurement, and putting the exhaust bellows on if you don't want the louder exhaust tube. If you like quiet, go with the exhaust bellows in the kit. Also check for broken continuity ground wires on the transom, drive, and power trim cylinders.

Lastly, check the internal exhaust flappers, and if you have a mechanical fuel pump on your seawater pump, there will most likely be raw fuel in the lube cavity that will need to be drained and filled with High Performance gear oil. Be a good time to install a new impeller as well, and to check engine alignment and grease the drive splines.

Exhaust flappers are item # 7

http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/mercruiser/serial/7.4LX_BRAVO_MPIGEN._VI_GM_454_V-8_1996-1997/809994965/2342-29